Team Magic
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 9s
Overall Rank = 359/871
Age Group = Open Male 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:56 AM, got the remaining gear together and waited for the sitter to arrive. Sitter arrived at 4:35, so we were on the road from Atlanta to Chattanooga by 4:40. The drive up was quick and easy, but the time crunch was being felt. It would have been ideal to leave Atlanta about 30 min earlier. Arrived at the race site and was parked by 6:15. Not good considering my recommended bus to the start was scheduled to leave at 6:30. (missed it by a lot) We quickly headed over to packet pickup, then back to the car to retrieve gear. Filled the tires and were ready to head the 300 yards to transition, when psssssssssssssss.. Leslie's front tire decided to pop. Got into mechanic mode and had the tire changed and filled within 5 minutes. No further problems for her, and better there then on the course. I headed over to body marking and into transition. It was nearing 7 am so I felt really late.. although I was not. I set up transition, and in my hurried state, forgot to setup and fill my aero bottle.
Event warmup:

After all that, I hopped on the bus to the swim start, got there by 7:05 or so and that gave me ~25 min before race to pretty much just sit there. Ran into Wendyloohoo and chatted with her a bit. There was water and powerade in this area and already feeling the heat, I was able to stay hydrated. No real warmup to speak of other than rushing from place to place.
Swim
  • 24m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok, first, it's understood that I cannot swim 1500 meters in 23 minutes. That being said, I had the strongest swim of all my triathlon experience so far. I put a lot of effort into the swim and I didn't get winded. Was able to kick well, and sighted better than I have in any other race. Sighting was important in this swim. The distance was correct as the course felt all of 1500 Meters. I would guess that if I was to take the downstream effect out of this, and I would have finished the swim in ~28, 29 min. I am very happy with the way I felt out there. I'm happy with my time too, but I also realize that is a unique situation.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. (first time I ever said that) For next time, I want to remember to drop a Marathon bar 1 hour and a GU 15 min prior to the swim. I think that helped a little.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

took a nap, read the paper, browsed BT, (borrowed this description, but it's close to accurate) .. what else can I say? It was a long transition. My problem was one that was created earlier. I forgot to get my Aero bottle together so I made the decision to do it in transition rather than out on the course (all the stuff was already on my bike, just not assembled and fluid was in wrong bottle) I got it all together, then hit the road.

Arrive earlier to prevent errors. Easier said than done in our situation.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Good course, I would term it moderately difficult. There was some spots that were windy, then a spot (x2) that was REALLY windy. I did ok on the bike. My bike number fell off within the first 1/2 mile. They were cardboard numbers that were twist tied together. I hope that's the last time they decide to use them. It was good to see the course referee's out there so often. I saw them at least 5 different times. My nutrition was good. I ate clif blocks 2 x 3 times spread out evenly. I felt the benefits toward the end. Good Course, not great. Well marked and protected. A little narrow at some points with the barrels blowing in toward the bikers.

Train differently for this race. The steady uphill climb over the first 9 miles requires more endurance riding on higher gears. The Silver Comet would be good training for this race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Time was better here, but for not wearing socks, one would think it would have been a bit faster. I think I make transitions too mental. I over think them... along with everything else, but those especially.

There was a racer who was one rack down from me. He discovered that his gels were stolen. He looked over at me and said. "can you believe someone would steal two gels" .. anyway, I had an extra in my picnic basket so I offered it to him and he accepted. I was glad to be able to help.

less thought, more action.
Run
  • 55m 34s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a decent run considering the brutal heat that was present every step of the way. The stairs were neat, and the glass bridge was a treat. This is what I would call a technical running course. I managed the out, then picked it up on the back. At mile 5, my right quad started twitching. I thought it was going to go into full on cramp, but it never did. I also adjusted my stride a little to try to beat it. That may have helped. At every water stop, one glass of water went over the head, one in the mouth. That was effective at managing to just stay HOT as opposed to overheated.

Just continue to work on my running. It's going well right now, but can get better.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water, a cold rag, and a seat next to the river and waited for Leslie to finish. She did well. At one point I thought she might beat me as she is a stronger runner. She had heat issues so that slowed her. We had to get out of there pretty quick. Got results, then got on the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hard to assess. This is my PR OLY and probably would be regardless of the easier swim. I had a good day, but know I can get better. The only thing I can think of here is that more training will get me faster.

Event comments:

Great race, Highly recommended for first timers and experienced alike. This one will go on my list for regular attendance. The volunteers here were incredible. It was hot for sure, but a quick look at the weather will tell you that it was hot everywhere in the US yesterday.

Last updated: 2006-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:27 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/871
Performance: Good
Suit: All 3 shorts and tank
Course: Great swim course. Follow the river, downstream, to the exit point. Under three bridges, staying to the right of the orange bouys. Very cool to swim the river. At the end of the swim, we got pulled (quickly lifted) out of the water, then proceeded up a set of stadium syle stairs, across a street, then into transition. This is all included in your swim time.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:05 | 24.85 miles | 19.86 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: steady climb to about mile 9, where there was a serious climb, followed by some serious downhill. A repeat loop of the larger hill and windy section, Then a nice steady drop to the finish. I averaged +25 mph from miles 17 to the finish.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:34 | 06.21 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: I loved this course. A tight out and back complete with steep climbs, stairs, HEAT, and lots of people.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2.5%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2006-07-17 10:18 AM
in reply to: #484529

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

Great race. Yes it was a hot one for everyone. And I would defineltley consider some of it technical!! I agree a must do again.

2006-07-17 10:22 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Great race... we came in about the same time.

It was hot hot... but you managed it greatly

2006-07-17 10:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
You had a great race. I was never really in contention to pass you... I was just too darn hot on that run and let my mind convince me it was better to slow down, take a bathroom break and walk the hills on the way back in, rather than try to catch you! Watch out next year tho!
2006-07-17 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

Great race!  I think I might have to put this race on my 'to do' list for next year.  Very good report!

Kelly

2006-07-17 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

Sorry - double post...I don't know how that happened! 

Kelly

Edited by Abear2 2006-07-17 11:45 AM

2006-07-17 1:38 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Nicely done ... a solid time for an Oly PR.

Arriving late for a tri is nothing but stress - but you handled it like a champ, especially the changing of the front tire. Way to spread the race karma with handing that guy two gels.

From what I have heard from my TNT peeps that did the race, hill repeats on Kennessaw Mtn might be a better place to train that the SCT!

2006-07-17 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
hey sorry you didn't find us!! we had a beer for you!!! it was a good course and maybe since we talked it up so much we can get even more BTers there next year!!
2006-07-17 2:57 PM

User image

Norcross, GA
Great job Ron!! It was good to chat with you and meet Leslie. Don't you just love that swim, LOL Hot run course for sure but you did great!!
2006-07-17 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
state of denial
sounds like a great race. count me in for next year. i have my first oly planned for october, i hear the longer the race, the more addicting it gets. that cant be good.
2006-07-17 3:32 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Awesome job, Ron, especially sharing your gels. Great race - and, yeah, it was hot everywhere Saturday.

2006-07-17 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

The stairs were neat, and the glass bridge was a treat.

Are you mad?  Great race!  I can't believe you were mentally prepared after driving up there that morning.  I freakout if I am 10 minutes late even when I know I will wait for 2 hours.  And great job demonstrating sportsmanship.  I am not sure I have ever encountered a sport with better sportsmanship from nearly all the participants.

2006-07-17 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Ron: Great job and I agree with the 'karma' thing. This continues your fulfillment of wild and weird swims this season. More impressive are your bike mechanics skills. It would have taken me at least 10 minutes just to stop swearing

Keep up the good work this season and looking forward to racing with you soon.

Ride on.

H.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed