General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PowerTap SL and TrainerRoad? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-12 9:19 AM

Subject: PowerTap SL and TrainerRoad?
Hey all-- a buddy wants to sell me his PowerTap SL for what seems to be a ridiculously low price. As I'm looking at it, though, it looks like this is a wired system, so I can't hook it up to ANT/TrainerRoad, etc., correct?

Also, he's selling it with a pair of race wheels, which would be nice, but I don't want to train on the race wheels full-time-- how much of a pain is it to pull the hub out and put it in other wheels? For example, could I pull it out of the race wheels and drop it in my normal trainer setup, then drop it back in the race wheels whenever I have a race?

Thanks!

2013-06-12 10:28 AM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: PowerTap SL and TrainerRoad?
TrainerRoad works with ANT+ devices. I don't know about the interface on a PT SL, but if it's wired only, you somehow need to get that power signal into ANT+ wireless format.

A hacker could probably pull this off, but it could take some work.

Here's TrainerRoads page on required hardware:

http://support.trainerroad.com/entries/20636866-what-hardware-do-i-...

2013-06-12 1:38 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
If its a wired PowerTap, then no I don't believe it will work with TrainerRoad because its not ANT+. That is a wireless technology if I understand it correctly.

As far as "pulling out the hubs and dropping them back in for races", this is not really a possibility. Lacing up a hub into a wheel is a pretty big job, not like just swapping out a cassette or something. In my opinion it would be a huge PITA to take the PT hub out of the race wheels and put it into a trainer wheel, only to put it back into the race wheel at a later date.

An easier method (and likely just as fast or faster) would be to leave the PT hub in your trainer wheel, like a Mavic Open Pro or something, and then use an Aerojacket wheel cover from Wheel Builder. Those are only $100 and you can take them off/on for races really easily. And they are 95% as aero as a $2000 disc wheel.

Good luck.
2013-06-12 2:05 PM
in reply to: djastroman

Dave-- if I'm getting you correctly, you're saying put the wheel cover on the trainer wheel for races? Thanks--
2013-06-12 2:11 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Yes. That's what I do (and a lot of other folks to from what I've read and seen). Works great and it is a really fast wheel.
2013-06-12 3:01 PM

User image

Pro

If he's selling you an older 'wired' Powertap, they don't really have a lot of value these days.  $100 maybe?  "ridiculously cheap" to me for a wired PT would be 'free'.  Plus, given that it won't talk to anything but the LYC (Cyclops' little yellow computer), it precludes you from having a GPS computer... well, unless you have two computers with you.  And, as stated above, if it's a wired system, it won't work with TrainerRoad.  Then again- the whole point of Trainer Road is that it creates a virtual power based on your trainer- so you can ride virtual power without a powertap, just using the $40 GSC-10 speed cadence sensor.

Plus, it's probably old, well used and might need new bearings and a rebuild anyway.  It would cost you a couple hundred bucks to have a wheel built around it- at which point you'd have an old wired powertap in a new wheel.  Something that almost nobody wants.

If you want a powertap... save your money and get one.  a good one.

2013-06-12 3:13 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
Originally posted by morey000

If he's selling you an older 'wired' Powertap, they don't really have a lot of value these days.  $100 maybe?  "ridiculously cheap" to me for a wired PT would be 'free'.  Plus, given that it won't talk to anything but the LYC (Cyclops' little yellow computer), it precludes you from having a GPS computer... well, unless you have two computers with you.  And, as stated above, if it's a wired system, it won't work with TrainerRoad.  Then again- the whole point of Trainer Road is that it creates a virtual power based on your trainer- so you can ride virtual power without a powertap, just using the $40 GSC-10 speed cadence sensor.

Plus, it's probably old, well used and might need new bearings and a rebuild anyway.  It would cost you a couple hundred bucks to have a wheel built around it- at which point you'd have an old wired powertap in a new wheel.  Something that almost nobody wants.

If you want a powertap... save your money and get one.  a good one.

I agree with most of the above but want to add that Saris is dropping support for the wired units so if the unit fails, it's done. They will upgrade the internals to ANT+ or replace the whole wheel at a discounted rate if the upgrade is not possible. The GSC-10 option is a better one IMHO for Trainer Road until you are ready to get an ANT+ powermeter
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PowerTap SL and TrainerRoad? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

UPLOADING TRAINERROAD

Started by roytyson
Views: 1595 Posts: 7

2012-01-06 1:44 PM marmadaddy

TSS in TrainerRoad vs. Training Peaks

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 4220 Posts: 6

2011-11-19 1:53 PM npearson99

TrainerRoad Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by trigal38
Views: 31942 Posts: 305

2012-07-16 9:15 AM dodgersmom

Powertap SL wired and rain

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 2502 Posts: 9

2011-03-05 6:49 PM Oriondriver02

Help Setting Rate of Display for Watts with PowerTap SL 2.4 wireless and Garmin 310xt

Started by hockeyhands
Views: 1281 Posts: 5

2010-09-30 9:14 PM trix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.
date : October 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The Quattro pedal is Crank Brothers’ formal offering for the road cycling set. The company has taken their simple but effective EggBeater design and added a low profile platform.