View Member's Race Log
Hartford, Connecticut
United States
Total Time = 2h 28m 8s
Overall Rank = 47/50
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, had some coffee milk, a muffin top, and a banana. Drank lots of water. Got to race start and found out swim was cancelled. Signed up anyway.
Event warmup:

Um, none. Performed some bike maintenance (tightened Mr. Elephant).
Run
  • 47m 18s
  • 4.3 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

It was HOTT already, and I wished I was in the water. I ran for a while with two women who paced each other, then went on ahead when I got my first wind. Intersting run - not as much trails as I would have liked, but the two very large bridges added a fun element.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I was "in the hole" with fludis, so I paused to guzzle some Gatorade. No shoe switch, so this wasn't overlong.
Bike
  • 1h 39m 29s
  • 10.8 miles
  • 6.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I am not a mountain biker. I ride a lot on trails, but more of the pea gravel and packed dirt with an occasional rock kind. So this trail, which turned a lot in the woods, was actually pretty tricky for me. I took teh wrong line into a turn early on, and fell. My foot got caught under the pedal for a moment, and I felt the "yank and a little more and something would have popped" that is so familiar from skiing. I finished without a problem, but it started to really hurt on the walk to the car. About halfway through the course, I ended up at a very steep shale rock wall. I was about to turn around and look for the trail marker I had alreasy missed when another biker came through and started pushing his bike up it. Oh, um, O.K. Not a mistake. All in all it was fun but hard.

I decided to pick up my biek to go across the finish line instead of pushing it. The handlebars got stuck on my helmet and a volunteer had to untangle me. Not recommended.
What would you do differently?:

I can't mountain bike, so this was just a fun exercise for me.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

No second segment.
Post race
Warm down:

Snarfed watermelon, watched the last two competitors come in (one was on a skinny-tired road bike. Hardcore).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Skills, heat, owwie.

Last updated: 2006-07-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:47:18 | 04.3 miles | 11m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Average
Course: Some trail running, up and across two bridges, and along the riverfront on paved trails. Distance is approximate (course was reworked on the fly after the swim was cancelled).
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:22
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:39:29 | 10.8 miles | 6.51 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: I took teh distances from my bike computer - supposed to be twelve miles, but I know they reworked the course. The first 2.5 miles or so were through the woods and grass on the banks of the river, then you climbed to a levee, where there were tire tracks in soem place,s tall grass in others. Then you descended to the woods for a little bit, ran up a grassy hill, went down it, and went through the park to the finish. There were no real obstacles, and I'm sure it was cake for a real mountain biker. I am not a real mountain biker.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Subject: Capitol City Dirt Du-athlon

2006-07-18 11:51 AM
in reply to: #484613

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Capitol City Dirt Du-athlon
Sounds like a good time. Good for you for getting out there and tackling it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capitol City Dirt Du-athlon Rss Feed