General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommended Bike Lock for solo long rides Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-14 11:54 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Recommended Bike Lock for solo long rides
Never really thought of this since most of my rides are out and back from home or a car and many times 25 or so loops, but this weekend doing a century or close to it and for the secong half I will be alone and it occurred to me that if I have to run into a store for more fluids or a bathroom , I do not have a lock! So plan on going to LBS in about 2 hours and was wondering what people use....U shaped, Coil? Whats recommended for a tri bike? I presume everyone puts it around the seat post?.......guess I should worry more about having it stolen than the added weight to the bike...lol

thanks

2013-06-14 12:10 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Austin
Subject: RE: Recommended Bike Lock for solo long rides

Not riding solo.

But I would think if your just running in to get fluids or bathroom, go for the convenience of a coil over the weight of a U lock.

If a thief wants your bike, they will take it even with a lock.

2013-06-14 12:35 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I would (and do) just leave the bike outside unlocked. I figure it would take some very bad luck to run into a bike thief ready to take off on my bike within that short time. I guess it could happen, but I'll keep taking my chances. (I do prefer stopping in stand-alone stores where most people have had to drive to get there--harder for them to figure out how to make off with the bike even if they are so inclined--not in a downtown area with lots of people strolling around.)
2013-06-14 12:44 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by JohnnyKay I would (and do) just leave the bike outside unlocked. I figure it would take some very bad luck to run into a bike thief ready to take off on my bike within that short time. I guess it could happen, but I'll keep taking my chances. (I do prefer stopping in stand-alone stores where most people have had to drive to get there--harder for them to figure out how to make off with the bike even if they are so inclined--not in a downtown area with lots of people strolling around.)

x2. I see this as a very low probability risk.

2013-06-14 12:44 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
You can get some lightweight lock cables and a lock.  This would help deter casual theft of opportunity.
2013-06-14 1:16 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Elite
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

I would (and do) just leave the bike outside unlocked. I figure it would take some very bad luck to run into a bike thief ready to take off on my bike within that short time. I guess it could happen, but I'll keep taking my chances. (I do prefer stopping in stand-alone stores where most people have had to drive to get there--harder for them to figure out how to make off with the bike even if they are so inclined--not in a downtown area with lots of people strolling around.)

should add I live on long island , NY...granted not in the city but lets say there are a lot of petty criminals running around

2013-06-14 1:17 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

I do a lot of long solo rides and never carry a lock despite having to frequently go into convenience stores, etc. to get resupplied. It's tempting fate I suppose, but whatever.

If you're really worried, do what some folks do: carry a small (one foot) piece of cord and tie it around your rear wheel/bottom bracket. Someone running up to ride off on your bike won't be able to roll off with it, and by the time he/she looks around and finally manages to figure out the problem, you've seen the activity through the giant glass window by the register that you leaned your bike against and you're outside addressing the issue.

It's not a lock that you can leave you're bike unattended with, but it's more of a way to buy a few seconds to get back out to your bike. Never done it, but the logic seems OK.

Dan
2013-06-14 1:36 PM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Might be hard to find since it is out of season, but a snowboard lock sounds like an ideal solution for your situation.

http://www.rei.com/product/807540/burton-cable-snowboard-lock,-clea...

Probably won't deter serious criminals, but will keep people from walking away with your bike. Plus the cable retracts, so it would probably fit in a seat bag or jersey pocket.
2013-06-14 1:40 PM

Regular
Ottawa, ON
You can use tsomething similar to those:

http://www.rei.com/category/4501574

Not as secure as a typical bike lock but enough to just run in and out the store or bathroom break. However it is small enough to tuck it in the back of your jersey pocket or so.

Cheers!
2013-06-14 1:42 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by jlruhnke

Might be hard to find since it is out of season, but a snowboard lock sounds like an ideal solution for your situation.

http://www.rei.com/product/807540/burton-cable-snowboard-lock,-clea...

Probably won't deter serious criminals, but will keep people from walking away with your bike. Plus the cable retracts, so it would probably fit in a seat bag or jersey pocket.

same idea but looks like I was to slow to type and post!
2013-06-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: mtx

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I do solo rides all the time and never carry a lock. Depending on where I am exactly (I ride in and around Philly) I will:

Take the bike all the way inside the store
Take the bike inside the first set of doors if there is a foyer of sorts
Leave the bike outside

Never had a problem.

2013-06-14 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
I bought a cheap ($10) cable lock for my road bike that easily wraps around my seat post.  I have left my bike outside stores unlocked before I got the lock but I feel better locking it up. 
2013-06-14 5:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I just run into the store and leave the bike unlocked. Pretty low probability of anything happening unless you're stopping in the ghetto.

I will sometimes loop my helmet straps in the front wheel so that I'd get the pleasure of seeing any would-be thief going arse over teakettle when the helmet jams in the fork as they try to ride away.

Edited by JZig 2013-06-14 5:12 PM
2013-06-14 6:13 PM

User image

I guess you didn't see this thread a while back.  I'd probably take my bike into the store if I was really worried.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=488340&page=1

2013-06-14 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
outside unlocked in full view of where I need to go in the store.
2013-06-14 6:26 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Sensei
Sin City

First choice?  Forget about it.  I haven't ever locked up the bike on a long ride.

However, if you feel you MUST, take a look at you ski/board shop.  There small and light cable locks.  Maybe a 1/4 pound.  It's probably 1/8th cable so nothing really substantial but strong enough you can't break it by hand.  Now if the thief had a pair of wire cutters in there pocket at the time...

Something like THIS

2013-06-14 6:42 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

bring the bike in the store / bathroom with you. Guess I am lucky L live in a low crime area. Also there are better things to steal then a tri bike. I will leave my bike outside a store when I can keep an eye on it. I also have set routes were I know store owners and can use there bathroom while my bike is kept safe.
2013-06-14 6:45 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

2013-06-14 9:08 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
You're just trying to prevent a crime of opportunity--someone walking along who sees your bike and decides to grab it and make a run for it. You can go with any cheap cable to prevent that. If a thief with bolt cutters or other tools just happens to come along, well...it just wasn't your day.

If I'm leaving my bike somewhere unlocked, I discreetly clip my helmet buckle around the wheel and set the helmet on the ground. If someone tries to grab it and run, hopefully the helmet getting caught in the frame will cause enough of a commotion that the thief will drop it and run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommended Bike Lock for solo long rides Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First solo bike ride

Started by cbrookhart
Views: 889 Posts: 10

2011-04-06 1:55 PM popsracer

Group rides vs Solo rides

Started by Mainer22
Views: 1833 Posts: 22

2009-08-16 10:18 AM the bear

Locker Room Etiquette: to lock or not to lock Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by hamiltks10
Views: 6257 Posts: 87

2009-01-11 9:28 AM JustTriDave

Riding Solo all the time

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1785 Posts: 10

2008-07-31 1:53 PM rsqdvr

Tri or Rode Bike during long rides

Started by onefastswimmer8
Views: 2979 Posts: 5

2008-01-28 6:12 PM sty
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.