General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Update and moral support...... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-14 8:59 PM

Subject: Update and moral support......
5 months to go until Ironman Arizona. Started the year at 400 pounds. At 360 now. Not where I want to be, but moving in the right direction. My trainer has given me 9 workouts a week. 3 swims, 3 bike ride and 3 walks. I won't try to run until October ( tender knees from these years of obesity have not helped ). Structurally they are ok, just patellar tendinitis. Knees are getting better as the duration of workouts and weight loss increase. My longest swim has been 4000 yards, 3.5 hours on a bike, and a 10 mile hike.In the last 3 months, my resting heart rate has gone from 72 to 57. I still need a road bike. too many spin classes and some time outdoors on my mountain bike. I will get under 275 for the race. Where the encouragement is needed is in help with my son. He and I are doing the race together. i got divorced when he was 7...he is 26 now. He finished Escape from Alcatraz at age 12. He was nationally ranked in triathlons in high school. In college he found alcohol. He has been an alcoholic for the last 6 years. Spend 50 plus days in jail this year for DUI and alcohol related issues. Trying to kick it. He could use a good friend who has been through this problem to talk with. My addiction is food, I am not much help. Many similarities, but still was different. His name is Tyler. a great young man. 35 on the ACT and 1510 on the SAT. Just struggling to get liking himself again. He talked me into the race last fall. Racing was the last time he liked himself. I love the triathlon community and I know there are big hearts out there who would love to help. I played college and minor league baseball, so there is some athlete in me. i promise not to die getting ready for this. I may need 16 hours and 50 minutes, but I will get it done....hopefully with Tyler waiting at the finish line to give me my finishers medal. Carpe Diem

2013-06-28 12:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Update and moral support......

Originally posted by Kenny24 5 months to go until Ironman Arizona. Started the year at 400 pounds. At 360 now. Not where I want to be, but moving in the right direction. My trainer has given me 9 workouts a week. 3 swims, 3 bike ride and 3 walks. I won't try to run until October ( tender knees from these years of obesity have not helped ). Structurally they are ok, just patellar tendinitis. Knees are getting better as the duration of workouts and weight loss increase. My longest swim has been 4000 yards, 3.5 hours on a bike, and a 10 mile hike.In the last 3 months, my resting heart rate has gone from 72 to 57. I still need a road bike. too many spin classes and some time outdoors on my mountain bike. I will get under 275 for the race. Where the encouragement is needed is in help with my son. He and I are doing the race together. i got divorced when he was 7...he is 26 now. He finished Escape from Alcatraz at age 12. He was nationally ranked in triathlons in high school. In college he found alcohol. He has been an alcoholic for the last 6 years. Spend 50 plus days in jail this year for DUI and alcohol related issues. Trying to kick it. He could use a good friend who has been through this problem to talk with. My addiction is food, I am not much help. Many similarities, but still was different. His name is Tyler. a great young man. 35 on the ACT and 1510 on the SAT. Just struggling to get liking himself again. He talked me into the race last fall. Racing was the last time he liked himself. I love the triathlon community and I know there are big hearts out there who would love to help. I played college and minor league baseball, so there is some athlete in me. i promise not to die getting ready for this. I may need 16 hours and 50 minutes, but I will get it done....hopefully with Tyler waiting at the finish line to give me my finishers medal. Carpe Diem

Congrats on the weightloss and getting your son back on track.  There are some recovering alchoholics here on BT but its not my place to give you their names. There is a guy in Ohio who is a recovered drug/alcholol addict who puts on a race called racing for recovery.  He wrote a book about how triathlon turned his life around.  Google racing for recovery and I bet you will find him.    I think his name is Todd something? Not sure Good luck and congrats!!

2013-06-30 10:24 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I really love this site and the sport in general. Lots of people doing this for lots of reasons. Hope you are finding out how supportive people can be. Overweight and 53 and trying to regain my body, health and pride. Just did a sprint (very disappointed in time, but that's another story).
I was finishing with a lot of the people finishing the oly distance (they veered off at one point and then joined us again). As they each passed me, everyone had an encouraging word - "just a little more", "almost there" etc.

It might be helpful to join a group, one of the groups on this thread or a mentoring group. It gives a solid support group and keeps me accountable.

Wish you the best!
Mitzi
2013-06-30 3:41 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Expert

You've made really impressive progress, and I really hope your son can find what he needs.

There's a thread on COJ called Becoming Sober- that might be a good place to find people for support.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Update and moral support...... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13 Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by annabananamc
Views: 4768 Posts: 163

2006-09-18 4:46 AM annabananamc

Can I join a weightloss support team?

Started by mathsgeek
Views: 675 Posts: 3

2006-09-10 3:53 PM TBZ

Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/10 Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by annabananamc
Views: 3467 Posts: 107

2006-09-13 5:33 AM annabananamc

Looking for others like me...weight loss support! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by KathyG
Views: 3286 Posts: 62

2006-09-06 3:24 PM willow

Looking for a support group

Started by dcmac29
Views: 778 Posts: 5

2006-04-12 11:00 PM dcmac29
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

date : November 7, 2007
author : YourYoga
comments : 4
The focus for this first session will be on breathing. Breathing will be the foundation for the more complex and strenuous poses that will support your bodyweight in future yoga poses.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : May 1, 2006
author : Team BT
The day of the triathlon was one of the best days of my life. I felt strong and healthy. Lots of friends and family came to cheer me on. The support was overwhelming.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
JAM! Trisuits is touted to be a trisuit for women, by women, and offering “more upper body support than what has been traditionally available in one piece trisuits”.

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.
date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.