General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Scales Lake - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

XTERRA Scales Lake - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boonville, Indiana
United States
YMCA of Southwestern Indiana, Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 45s
Overall Rank = 18/55
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Camped the night before, so I had a fire toasted English muffin with peanut butter and honey with a cup of instant coffee. Went over and started setting up.
Event warmup:

Quick bike ride through the beginning of the course and a nice 15 min. run to get a feel for the first part of the run.
Swim
  • 18m 47s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did an OWS a few days before this race and did MUCH better than this. I know I can do better and I think most of this was due to poor navigation. I kept finding myself way wide. More practice here will help. I'll keep doing the weekly OWS at the local little lake. Next chance for a race environment is 2 weeks.

I felt the course was long and others said so. That's doesn't really matter though because we all had to swim the same course.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more effectively. Swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Decent T1. More practice getting that wetsuit off will help. No complaints here though. One thing to note is that my Lara Bar fell out of my tri shorts in transition and I didn't notice until i was gone. No problem cause I stuffed down a quick snack in transition.

Grow a third arm to help with all the things to do.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 16s
  • 11 miles
  • 9.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I was doing this race mainly for experience racing, so I didn't try to kill myself on this bike leg. The first lap was spent getting my head together after the swim, and the second lap I was able to really enjoy. I got passed a lot right at the beginning of the first lap, then passed several people. I probably lost 2-3 places overall during the bike leg. I was pretty happy with this and once I decided to just have fun with it, I ended up going faster and not stressing about the result.

Get a little more speed for those steep hills instead of committing to a slow climb. I lost a lot of time on those short, steep hills. I could have saved that time by riding it correctly and speeding up before I got there.
Transition 2
  • 00m 11s
Comments:

I must be Super Man. 11 seconds?!?!?! That time is not right...but whatever. No chip timing, so it's what we got. I felt good about this transition. Only thing that didn't go well was that my bike gloves were stuck on.

Apparently nothing. 11 seconds....boo yah.
Run
  • 30m 45s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

There was another race this weekend that I'd heard great things about. I chose this one because the bike and run were shorter. During the pre-race meeting, they said the run was 4.5 miles. What?! Everyone thought it was 3.3. Whatever. We all have to run the same course.

Running is my thing. I love running. I feel that I did pretty well on this run. I passed a lot of people and didn't kill myself doing it. I had a lot of fun here. I don't think I'd change a thing about this run.

Rocket shoes.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water. Ate a banana. Sat in the shade for a few minutes. Drank a bottle of Gatorade. Ate a cup of trail mix. Drank a bottle of Gatorade. Ate a Chik-fil-a chicken sandwich. Then drank another bottle of Gatorade. Got my award. Got in the car and drove 6 1/2 hours home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mentality. This was a fun race. I have no regrets about this race. Came out in a good AG place.

Event comments:

There were TONS of VERY friendly and helpful volunteers. I was very impressed. A small race, even by Xterra standards, that was put on very well with great success. I'd do it again next year.

Last updated: 2013-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:47 | 880 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 30/55
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Hexagon shaped thingy. I felt like it was a little long, but maybe not. Others seemed to do just fine with it.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:16 | 11 miles | 9.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 31/55
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Fun MTB course. Good amount of fast winding single track mixed with some terrain that was technical enough to be fun but not so technical that it was miserable. There were MANY short, steep hills which could wear on you. Overall a fun course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:45 | 04.5 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 11/55
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly single track with some steep descents and inclines. VERY fun run course!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-16 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: XTERRA Scales Lake - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Scales Lake - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA Lake Las Vegas Sprint

Started by edshortsleeve
Views: 1007 Posts: 1

2013-05-05 11:34 PM edshortsleeve

XTERRA Dirty Grizzly Off-Road Triathlon - XTERRA Course

Started by sgillen
Views: 1356 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 10:48 AM sgillen

El Dorado Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by kburk09
Views: 1524 Posts: 2

2011-06-28 10:06 PM KansasMom

Bear Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by monkeyboy64
Views: 1211 Posts: 1

2011-06-28 8:31 AM monkeyboy64

El Dorado Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by KansasMom
Views: 1854 Posts: 5

2011-06-27 10:27 PM KansasMom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.