Sun Multisport Events
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 35m 33s
Overall Rank = 11/49
Age Group = 44 and Under
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

I had been training and preparing to do the full Half-ironman event for over 7 months and my training was right on track up until end of March into April. Severe bilateral medial tibial stress syndrome (AKA--good old shin splint issue) had creeped up. My running at that point had really started to slow down and I had weeks of literally less then 10 miles of running total. Heading into May, I had had enough with the pain, and had bilateral tib/fib xrays to rule-out a stress fracture of both legs. Results were negative on stresss FX, but the verdict was severe stress syndrome of both lower legs, and no running for 5-6 weeks! There was no way I could take that much time off from running and then expect to run a half-marathon in a half-ironman event. I started physical therapy, and a heavier bike and swim routine. 5 weeks out from the race day, I had to make the decision to only do the Aqua bike event. Running during the Patriot event may have jeopredized the rest of the summer, by making things worse. So I had to make the decision to not run and heal. Having dealt with a positive Stress Fx 3 years ago, I knew this was the right call to make, even though is pained me to know I wouldn't be competing in the full event.

Up early to drive 45 minutes to race site. Ate light breakfast on drive over. Arrived about an hour and 15 before event. Checked in, set up transition. Listened to pre-race announcements, then headed over to swim start. Had no pre-race swim warmup.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, double check over equipment.
Swim
  • 40m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off just fine, but the minor chop/waves immediately threw off my breathing. Gulped 3 or 4 mouthfulls of water! By the second buoy, I had to stop and side-stroke, because I almost barfed up a boatload of water! After that, my mental aspect went to the crapper pretty quickly. I would find a good rhythmn, for a few yards, and then bam, lungs full of water! After rounding the first turn buoy, I finally found a rhythm of literally breathing as the choppy water would raise me slightly up. Only after 1/3 into the swim did I finally get a smoother pattern going. A huge dissappointment on my time. Practice open water swims, were putting me at about a 34-35 minute swim time, but on this day, having to stop a couple of times to empty out my lungs and cough, a 40 minute swim is all I could salvage. Chop was only minor, I have swam in much worse conditions--today just turned out to be one of those bad swims I guess.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure if I could have done anything differently. Bilateral breathing, unilateral breathing, it didn't matter. I just happen to be swallowing the perfect amount of water with the choppy water. Maybe find some feet to draft off next time, in the hopes that the person in front of me would help breakup the water a little?
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Nothing eventful here. After exiting the water and seeing my swim time, I was somewhat mentally deflated. Walked a few feet, and then decided my only way to make up time at this point was on the bike, so I slowly jogged thru transition.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 53m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off good and held the pace I was expecting. Looking back I probably pushed a little to much initially, figuring I didn't have to run, only finish the bike segment and my day was done. Bike segment was pretty uneventful for the most part. I passed a lot of folks and was only passed by a few myself. Around the 45 mile mark of the second lap, I could feel my quads start to slightly cramp up when pushing up any type of incline in the road. I felt my fluid intake was fine, but some minor cramping started to creep in. Mentally wasn't all there today.

**Was curious if there were a couple of "bandit" cyclist out on the course? I kept seeing two guys on tri bikes, but with no race numbers on their bikes, or calves, ect. Riding along with others during the bike segment. I understand its not a closed course, but I watched as they were riding side by side with some folks actually registered racers, making it hard for others to pass. Interesting.**

Cleared my mine about my swim time, and moved on. I think I started to push to fast on the bike intially hoping to make up some time due my slower swim debackle. I kept thinking of that swim segment and how much time I had lost. Looking back now, I think it mentally played a little havic with me.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished and changed into running shoes and along with another 2 aqua bike competitors, we walked over to the finishing arch/line and each took turns jogging across the finish line to get our photo taken and our finisher medals. Our time had already stoppped and been decided for the aquabike event, so it was totally pressure free. Stretching and alittle walking around. Packed up and headed home to spend rest of weekend with the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Very poor swim. Major amount of lake water swallowed. Mentally started off my race on the wrong foot. Minor cramping on the bike in last 10 miles?

Event comments:

Disappointed with my swim time. Since my ongoing injury won't allow me to run, I moved my registration over to the aquabike category. Time off from training along with a few hours of PT for my bilateral leg stress syndrome, I hoped I would have swam faster with less issues, and powered thru on the bike. Was hoping for at least a 2hr 35 min bike segment. I think mentally I wasn't all there today. Overall this group puts on very, very organized race events!
I still feel a slight void in this weekend, since I had planned on doing the full half-iron event, but had to opt to the aquabike event only due to a running injury. We all put a lot of hours into training for these types of events, so not being able to compete in the full race event has left me wanting to give it a go next year! Hopefully a little smarter training will help to get me there next year! Perfect weather on this day as well!

Last updated: 2013-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:18 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/49
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Orca S4
Course: Rectangle, counter clockwise. Straight out, turn left for short stint, turn left again, back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:53:09 | 56 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/49
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops of a 28 mile course. Slight uphills and gradual downhill sections. Moderately flat. Most shady. Only a couple for sharp turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-17 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon-Aqua Bike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon-Aqua Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Peterborough Half Ironman Aqua/Bike

Started by latestarter
Views: 1726 Posts: 1

2010-07-05 10:21 AM latestarter

Vikingman Triathlon - Half IM & Olympic Trialthlon and Aqua-Bike

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 1097 Posts: 2

2009-06-11 10:43 AM gdale

Patriot's Triathlon - Half Lite 50

Started by gergzos
Views: 1801 Posts: 1

2008-08-08 3:44 PM gergzos

Emerald Coast Triathlon / Duathlon / Aqua Bike Series, Race #3

Started by McDuff
Views: 907 Posts: 1

2007-09-19 8:11 PM McDuff

Emerald Coast Triathlon / Duathlon / Aqua Bike Series, Race #3

Started by GulfCoastSwimmer
Views: 1118 Posts: 1

2007-09-08 8:33 PM GulfCoastSwimmer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : March 5, 2006
author : acbadger
Once I can run again I'm thinking about keeping it in the training plan as a substitute for a few of my short runs. Has anyone else done this for their marathon training?
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : May 30, 2005
author : bostic
Swimming has one of the cheapest gear requirements out there. If there’s one necessity any beginner triathlete can’t do without in the pool it’s a good, reliable set of goggles.
date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.