Illinois Valley Striders
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 12m 31s
Overall Rank = 865/866
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 34/34
Pre-race routine:

Went to packet pick-up with my oldest son. He got to meet some of my running friends and he stopped to look at shoes and confided that he would like to do the 4 mile next year! After that I dropped him off at his place and then off to my place. Spent the evening in front of the fire pit with a nice little fire and began reading "Run Like a Mother." Was interrupted several times by text messages and calls from friends letting me know that I shouldn't worry. Whatever time I ran would be a PR. Had cheese tortellini with sun-dried tomato alfredo sauce.
Run
  • 2h 12m 31s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 14m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I should have trained more on the hills, but I let life get in my way.
What would you do differently?:

Set my priorities in a harder stone!
Post race
Event comments:

One of the cool things about doing the training program is that our bib numbers were personalized with our numbers on them!

Wish I hadn't had to yell at volunteers to get off of the timing mat as I crossed the finish line!

Wish they hadn't handed me my medal still in the plastic bag.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:31 | 9.3 miles | 14m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 4549/34
Overall: 0/866
Performance: Good
Course: This course is flat for the first 2 miles and a complete downhill for the last 1/2 mile. The middle of this course is through a local park that has some pretty substantial hills. I went into the race with a game plan. Sine it was my first time at this particular distance, the ultimate goal was to finish on my own power. I had also verbally committed to 2 1/2 hours. In my heart I knew I could finish in 2:15, so that became my super secret goal. The morning started out with some sprinkles and an overcast sky. Was thinking that running in the sprinkles would be fun, but I really wanted the thunder and lightening to hold off. I lined up with the 14:00 pace group. I hoped that I could move up and finish at a 13mpm pace, but that was not to be today. Saw some friends as we were being herded into the starting area. Lots of hugs and high fives. I started off at a good pace. Passed lots of people (probably the 4 mile runners). By the time I hit the first mile marker I realized I was running about an 11:15mpm pace! I didn't feel tired or sluggish. As a matter of fact, I was still carrying on conversations with various people as I went along. Several of my friends were running the 4 mile so I got to see them as they turned around. More high fives! Got to the area where the 15km runners split off and heard someone shout "MOM!" turned around and it was Trevor!!!!! I stopped and gave him a HUGE hug and left him with a smile on my face! That was a nice surprise. My plan was to walk the big hills, run the flats and down hills. The first half of this race went exactly according to plan. My training for the last couple of weeks has been pretty sporadic, so I wasn't sure how the second half would go. The first half went exactly according to plan. I walked the hills and the aid stations. I carried my own energy water, as I normally would. Somewhere in the middle of this route is a hairpin turn where you can see friends that are ahead of you! Nice to hear shouts from friends! The second loop was TOUGH! I walked a bit more than I would have liked but knew I needed to get my heart to settle down. Also spent 2-3 minutes fussing with my water bottle when it wouldn't go back into it's holder! Coming down that final hill, I was with another gentleman and all I kept telling him was, "We got this!" I felt good knowing that I had conquered the hard part of the race. Little did I know that the next 1.5 miles would be even tougher for me. At this point in the race I knew I was close to the finish but my legs were just not feeling the love! I spent a lot of time running one block or tow and walking for another 10-15 seconds, then running again. Not my best performance, by far, but it was better than not racing or dropping to the smaller race. As I neared the finish I could hear the announcers! My garmin had died about a 1/2 mile from the end but I knew I was going to meet my secret goal! Just as I entered the finish chute I hear the announcers state that they are going to wrap up calling out names and move over to the awards ceremony :( As I cam into the final stretch all of my friends were there to high five me and give a shout to "KICK IT!" I did! As I got to the timing mat all of the volunteers had gathered on the outer edge of the timing mat making it hard to cross. I had to yell at them to move! I would like to do this race again and beat my time!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes