HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 24m 6s
Overall Rank = 56/229
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/16
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race was not what I am used too. Since Sara was at her pool tourney I had the kids and needed to organize them prior to the race. I didn't manage to dri my coffee or the cereal I normally have before race. On top of the kids I also had a friend with me who was doing his 1st tri. He was extremely nervous about the day so I took the time to make sure he had everything he needed and was able to get set-up properly. I know I would of liked having someone walk me through the process the 1st time so I had no problems doing it for him!

Event warmup:

Warm-up was minimal, ran around 1/2 mile and then swam maybe 100yds, enough to get my HR up but not really getting my shoulders loosened up. This was partly due to the short schedule I was on from getting the kids up and moving, who by the way fell back asleep in the car and want budging even when the sitter arrived to hang out with them!
Swim
  • 18m 2s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Beginning of the swim was rough, as usual! By the Time I reached the 1st buoy I was thinking wtf am I doing and why do I keep signing up for these races! At this point took a deep breath and tried to settle into a rhythm, and was able to get to a steady stroke pattern and found my self breathing to both sides. This was the 1st time I have done this in the race and it made a world of difference in my tracking of the course. Once i was in rythm i actually starting catching up with other swimmers. this is still a complete shock to my system and it causes me to pop up and see what is going on. when this happened i would pull up and stay behind whoever i ran into. in the future i need to learn to push past them and pick up pace. Going out to the 1st yellow buoy I had no problems with sighting and hit it dead on, was actually surprised that I was so close to it and rubbed the buoy as I made the turn. While heading towards the 2nd turn the sighting was a little off as I pulled to the right some but was able to correct fairly quickly. Made the 2nd turn to head back to the beach, this section was probably the area that I had the most trouble sighting. My goggles fogged up and I couldn't really catch sight of a buoy and all the swimmers were spread out so I couldn't use that as a guide. I wound up getting into the interior of the course and had to work to get back on track. Foggy goggles stuck with me for the rest of the race and was more of an annoyance than anything.

Almost 45s slower than previous year ????
What would you do differently?:

Not fall into the negative thoughts at the early part of the swim, I need to accept is going to be rough to start and get into a rhythm quicker!

Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Overall smooth transition, I was cussing at myself for a minute because it felt like I was going slow, especially when trying to get my socks on. I need to work on growing sock less for these shorter races to save times. Of course that would take a different pair of shoes, there is no way I Would run sock less in my current pair
Bike
  • 39m 48s
  • 14.29 miles
  • 21.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was extremely fun, I checked wind direction before the start of the race so I knew where to push the pace and where to allow my speed to come down. Coming out of the park the course went West which put me into a headwind right away. Kept the cadence high and let my legs tell me how fast I should be going. Went to the point my quads started to burn the backed down slightly. This was a method I used throughout the course. A the 1st turn the course turned north and even though the wind turned to crosswind it still enabled somewhat of a push so I was ale to get the speed up to 22mph, over the next 4 miles I kept up this pattern. Push when I had the wind and ease up in the headwinds. During this time I caught up with a lot of other riders, and only had a few pass me, and the ones who did pass me appeared to be elite out of the Oly race but not sure!
At mile 6.7 is where the fun started, the course turned to the east and the wind was directly behind me, I let out a whelp and pushed as hard as I could. Made to around 25mph before my legs started to burn so I eased up slightly and managed to hold this pace for the next 4 miles, again during this time I PASSED A LOT OF RIDERS and had no one pass me which felt good! I would say that most of the people I passed were going about 4 mph slower at least. Probably because I was so slow in the swim. After this another turn into the crosswind and came down to 20mph, until the last turn. This put me due west and going right into the headwind tried to push but my legs were burning by this point and I figured no need to blow up at this point so I backed down, when I turned into the park I instantly saw Brenda coming out onto the course and gave her a shout, from here I was able to pick up some speed until I ran into a Crackerbox that drove right out onto the course in front of me and then proceeded to drive 15mph. I was trying to go faster but couldn't get around, and I was also concerned that drafting could come into play so I held back as far as I could. Finally after 1/4 mile the idiot got out of the way and I pushed past him to finish the bike strong.

Not much, top 3 in AG is fantastic! Even with the wind I felt strong through out and enjoyed the ride. I wonder though, If I enjoyed the ride did I not push hard enough!
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

all i have to do is take helmet off, kind of hard to screw that up!
Run
  • 22m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This section went off smooth, well except for going in and out of the wind. Cam out of T2 and legs were slightly tight but nothing to worry about. My breathing and HR on the other hand were through the roof. Even though i didnt wear my monitor I was definitely red lined. The HR didn't concern me but the hyperventilating did, slowed the pace just slightly. At this point I reached the 1st water point, and 1 swig just about had me gagging. This water was nasty and tasted like they filled it right out of the dead fish zone of lake Erie. On the next 2 water points I didn't drink just dumped it on my head. Didn't want the taste but probably needed the hydration. Overall the run was good, I kept my effort high and was only passed by 1 or 2 runners. Bad part one of these runners was in my AG but he was cruising and even though I tried I couldn't keep up with him I had no chance. Made the turn around and continued to push I gave everything I could and passed some additional runners. Last 1/4 mile I tried to increase pace but I had nothing left. Just hung on to the finish.
Mile Splits: 7:08/7:29/7:31

Not much here either, I pushed as hard as could without falling out. The fact I had nothing left at the end meant I left everything on the course!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Who knows, probably the swim...AGAIN!
I found it extremely frustrating that my time only improved by 30s over last year.

Event comments:

Since I use this race as my measuring stick on how I am doing and progressing I figured I would post past race results, I am a little disappointed I didn't drop more time, even though the weather probably played a big part in this years results. I also noticed looking at the results that several of the AG leaders were several minutes slower from the previous year, maybe I did better than I thought?
Ready to roll

Last updated: 2013-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:02 | 820 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 117/229
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wet suit
Course: Large rectangle going counter clockwise
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:48 | 14.29 miles | 21.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 45/229
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course is completely flat with roads that have some areas that are extremely rough. Another large rectangle.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 102
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:29 | 03.11 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 41/229
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-17 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon

2013-06-18 5:05 AM
in reply to: #4779269

User image

Subject: RE: Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon
Matt!   You did great!   Don't get down on yourself about the time - the swim WAS longer (3 minutes for me).  I'm sure of it, based on comparing other's times and talking afterwards to a 4 time Ironman finisher who also said it was longer.  So there.   You killed the bike!   It was fun to see you as I was starting out on the ride and you were finishing up but also discouraging to see that you'd flown through the course so fast.  Wink Over 21 mph is incredible with the wind we had- way to use it to your advantage when you could.   Awesome run - wow! Yea - what was with that water?!   Ugh.    To manage your kids all by yourself, deal with a longer swim and wind on the bike and still beat your time from last year is something you should be proud of!   Congratulations!
2013-06-18 5:51 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Nice race, Matt. Both your bike and run are pretty strong now. Just have to get in the pool a little bit and you're gonna see some awesome results!!
2013-06-18 6:19 AM
in reply to: jgerbodegrant

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Great race Matt, the swim can be pretty weather affected and who knows maybe the course was an extra 100y this year (or 200y) . Great effort on the bike and run looked like you were in top form for those. How did your buddy make out with his first tri. Good on you for helping him out, I wish I had someone walk me through set up and what to do pre race for my first. I just wandered around like a deer in head lights until the gun went off. Congrats again.
2013-06-18 8:56 AM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt congrats on a great race. You killed it on the bike in windy conditions, you had a very strong run and if the course was longer than last year you had a better swim this year. You definitely have improved over last season. A little more time and work on the swim and you'll improve that the same way you have with the bike and run. Great job.
2013-06-18 2:04 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

NH
Wow, some serious splits there. Super speed once you left the water. Your training is really showing with amazing progress.

I recommend you not swim or bike anymore this year and work exclusively on your running.

2013-06-18 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Solid race!  But I have to agree with Jonathan 100%.  Your bike and run looks great, now it's time to hit the pool more frequently.  From where you were a few years ago when we first met in Lima, you've come a very long way and the times in your race report indicate what good training can do for you.

Your bike splits are stellar!  Over 21 MPH is no joke for anyone.  Combine that with the wind and you really nailed it.

Your run is coming along very nicely too!  Your first mile is remarkable at just over 7 minutes!  You had an amazing race like the others have said................BUT, now it's time to SWIM!!!

2013-06-19 5:29 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Congrats on a well paced and efficient race. You really did good in all 3 sports...GREAT job and thanks for posting the race report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by gbyrdeaux
Views: 1086 Posts: 1

2009-01-11 4:13 PM gbyrdeaux

Started by LukeAT21
Views: 1099 Posts: 1

2008-11-28 5:40 PM LukeAT21

Started by ezfast88
Views: 1550 Posts: 2

2008-06-25 3:58 PM cathrone

Started by EABonney
Views: 1834 Posts: 2

2008-06-23 2:37 PM David tri's

Started by Miker1818
Views: 1299 Posts: 1

2008-06-22 9:23 PM Miker1818
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?