Other Resources The Political Joe » Tell me about Obama Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-18 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: Tell me about Obama
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/world/archives/2013/06/2013061...

I'm more interested in the comments at the bottom of the article...people calling Obama's most recent term in office "Bush's 4th Term."

WTF?

Is the feel good president really that unpopular? I thought he was doing good?

2013-06-18 9:06 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Tell me about Obama
In many ways he is unpopular. He is doing many of the things Bush did trouble is his supporters do not approve so in some areas he is less popular than Bush was.
2013-06-18 11:31 AM

User image

The emperor has no clothes.
2013-06-18 11:52 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Elite

The DNC wanted to cash in while his stock was high and he was an unknown. The more people come to know, the less they like. He was unqualified to be POTUS just based on his record for me. But I can't comprehend how you continue to support a guy that railed against Bush and what he did for two straight years, then get's in office and strengthens and increases much of what Bush did. At least Bush was doing it because he believed it and said he was going to.

Where is the unprecedented transparency? Where are the budget cuts promised to pay for spending increases? Where is the end to war and "fear" based surveillance? Where is the new era of government?

2013-06-18 12:13 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I voted for him twice.

He will end up (if he isn't already) being one of the worst presidents this country has known. 

2013-06-18 12:17 PM

User image

One of the primary complaints I've ever heard about him:

For the first two years of his presidency, he had more or less filibuster proof majorities in both houses and did not use that to ram through the complete works of the Berkley left wing on the American people and let the courts sort it out.

Yeah, the people who voted for him are complaining he hasn't been left winged enough.

2013-06-18 12:59 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Originally posted by switch

I voted for him twice.

He will end up (if he isn't already) being one of the worst presidents this country has known. 

Could you expound on that?

Why do you say he will end up the worst? Was this your view before that second vote or did it change in the last 7 months? Or was your vote a vote against Romney?

2013-06-18 1:09 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Elite
2013-06-18 1:17 PM

User image

I remember all the rejoicing at the Washington Post with the animated .gif showing how the country shifted from center right to center left.

2013-06-18 1:19 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Aarondb4

I voted for him twice.

Why do you say he will end up the worst? Was this your view before that second vote or did it change in the last 7 months? Or was your vote a vote against Romney?

I'll expand on it, but only with the qualifier that I feel like a total dumbazz.  The other qualifier being that I think all current politicians are effed up.  The entire Congress should be gutted.  They're despicable.  They no longer represent their constituents; they pander to lobbyists and PACS and need to be thrown out.

OK, that being said, I think Obama's been weak. I voted him for the second time because I thought, having secured a second term, he would be the president I hoped he would be in the first term.  And because Mittens?  Seriously?  No, helllllllz no.

The current partisan political climate is completely disgusting.  Our budget crisis, and continued outrageous levels of spending, are a sick joke that I don't know how we are going to recover from.

There really has not been a candidate that I have loved lately.  I am pro-choice. I think people should be able to marry whoever they want.  I think we should have real environmental controls and looking for REAL energy independence through "green" technology.  I think we should wean Big AG off of subsidies, just as I think we should put limits on welfare and unemployment. We need to overhaul SS.  And we need a freakin balanced budget. I don't mind paying my taxes, but not for the crap that we're currently doing.  That candidate doesn't exist, but I thought Obama would come closer than Mittens.

I'm no die-hard Dem.  I will vote for the right person, or, the least of the evils.  Hence, Obama x2.  If the Pubs could have come up with anyone halfway decent, I would have seriously considered them.  The litany of losers they put forth was just mind-blowing. 

2013-06-18 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I voted for him twice.

I'll expand on it, but only with the qualifier that I feel like a total dumbazz.  The other qualifier being that I think all current politicians are effed up.  The entire Congress should be gutted.  They're despicable.  They no longer represent their constituents; they pander to lobbyists and PACS and need to be thrown out.

OK, that being said, I think Obama's been weak. I voted him for the second time because I thought, having secured a second term, he would be the president I hoped he would be in the first term.  And because Mittens?  Seriously?  No, helllllllz no.

The current partisan political climate is completely disgusting.  Our budget crisis, and continued outrageous levels of spending, are a sick joke that I don't know how we are going to recover from.

There really has not been a candidate that I have loved lately.  I am pro-choice. I think people should be able to marry whoever they want.  I think we should have real environmental controls and looking for REAL energy independence through "green" technology.  I think we should wean Big AG off of subsidies, just as I think we should put limits on welfare and unemployment. We need to overhaul SS.  And we need a freakin balanced budget. I don't mind paying my taxes, but not for the crap that we're currently doing.  That candidate doesn't exist, but I thought Obama would come closer than Mittens.

I'm no die-hard Dem.  I will vote for the right person, or, the least of the evils.  Hence, Obama x2.  If the Pubs could have come up with anyone halfway decent, I would have seriously considered them.  The litany of losers they put forth was just mind-blowing. 

Thanks.

I don't agree with all of that but I agree with most of it. I personally voted for Gary Johnson, I would have liked to vote for Paul if he had made the ballot. Would you be willing to vote Libertarian next time and if you were not happy with the two choices in 2012 did you consider the 3rd party or did you see that as a waste of a vote?

2013-06-18 1:42 PM

User image

OK, that being said, I think Obama's been weak.

Actually, that is Obama's best quality. Imagine the state of this nation if he was actually a strong president....
2013-06-18 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I voted for him twice.

Thanks.

I don't agree with all of that but I agree with most of it. I personally voted for Gary Johnson, I would have liked to vote for Paul if he had made the ballot. Would you be willing to vote Libertarian next time and if you were not happy with the two choices in 2012 did you consider the 3rd party or did you see that as a waste of a vote?

The first fight my husband and I had when we were dating was about him voting for Nader. (We had been drinking and bow target practice shooting all afternoon--bad combo).  I was, for about two hours, thinking it was going to be a deal breaker that he could have thought it would be OK to "throw away" a vote in such a critical election.  How effing irresponsible!  I couldn't be with someone like that! Harumph *slams down bow, goes inside, gets another beer and gets sulky*

I've turned the corner on this now.  I'm done with a two party system. It's inherently flawed and there's no bringing it back.  We need a revolution of sorts, and if part of that is risking "losing" my vote by voting for a 3rd party candidate, hellz yes I'll do it.  Really, if it were up to me, every single one of the members of Congress would be out.  Their actions are irresponsible and morally reprehensible. 

My views are probably more libertarian than anything else, but I'd really like to have someone low on the nut job scale.  If the Libertarians put someone like that up, yep, I'll definitely consider it.

2013-06-18 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I voted for him twice.

Thanks.

The first fight my husband and I had when we were dating was about him voting for Nader. (We had been drinking and bow target practice shooting all afternoon--bad combo).  I was, for about two hours, thinking it was going to be a deal breaker that he could have thought it would be OK to "throw away" a vote in such a critical election.  How effing irresponsible!  I couldn't be with someone like that! Harumph *slams down bow, goes inside, gets another beer and gets sulky*

I've turned the corner on this now.  I'm done with a two party system. It's inherently flawed and there's no bringing it back.  We need a revolution of sorts, and if part of that is risking "losing" my vote by voting for a 3rd party candidate, hellz yes I'll do it.  Really, if it were up to me, every single one of the members of Congress would be out.  Their actions are irresponsible and morally reprehensible. 

My views are probably more libertarian than anything else, but I'd really like to have someone low on the nut job scale.  If the Libertarians put someone like that up, yep, I'll definitely consider it.

Cool, thanks for the response. 

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I also struggled with the "throwing the vote away" thing this year. But I finally decided if the best the GOP could do is run out the same sorry spectacle they had in 2008 it was time to make a statement and vote for the candidate who closest fit my views and that was the Libertarian. I don't really like Johnson so much but he was closer than Romney or Obama.

I am hoping for Rand Paul in 2016. Even my crazy "conservative" republican parents are getting fed up so hopefully there is enough tide to get a serious 3rd candidate going next time around. 

2013-06-18 2:19 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Jackemy1
Originally posted by switch OK, that being said, I think Obama's been weak.
Actually, that is Obama's best quality. Imagine the state of this nation if he was actually a strong president....

hahaha and ugh. 

2013-06-18 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I voted for him twice.

Thanks.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I also struggled with the "throwing the vote away" thing this year. But I finally decided if the best the GOP could do is run out the same sorry spectacle they had in 2008 it was time to make a statement and vote for the candidate who closest fit my views and that was the Libertarian. I don't really like Johnson so much but he was closer than Romney or Obama.

I am hoping for Rand Paul in 2016. Even my crazy "conservative" republican parents are getting fed up so hopefully there is enough tide to get a serious 3rd candidate going next time around. 

Yeah, Aaron, I think a lot of people are beyond pizzed, and they're ready to do something about it.  I hope they are, anyway.  I work in a FREAKY liberal town, which is, fine, for the most part--I am really very liberal in a lot of ways.  Anyway, I'm surrounded by die-hard Dems and worked-both-campaigns Obama supporters.  They're even turning.  Some of them.  Some are still as delusional as ever and need a firm double shoulder shake :/

There could be four parties on the next ballot if the Pubs don't circle the wagons better and stop splitting their party.  And I  if we get another fiscally retarded person in office we are going to be in a world of hurt that we haven't yet known as a nation.

2013-06-18 2:35 PM

User image

I voted for him twice.

Thanks.

Yeah, Aaron, I think a lot of people are beyond pizzed, and they're ready to do something about it.  I hope they are, anyway.  I work in a FREAKY liberal town, which is, fine, for the most part--I am really very liberal in a lot of ways.  Anyway, I'm surrounded by die-hard Dems and worked-both-campaigns Obama supporters.  They're even turning.  Some of them.  Some are still as delusional as ever and need a firm double shoulder shake :/

There could be four parties on the next ballot if the Pubs don't circle the wagons better and stop splitting their party.  And I  if we get another fiscally retarded person in office we are going to be in a world of hurt that we haven't yet known as a nation.

I've thought a lot about the multi-party argument and I can't really see how that is an improvement over what we got. I mean I look at the governments in Europe that have multi-party systems and they are just as screwed up as we are. Taking a two headed monster and turning it into a four headed monster doesn't seem like a more appealing party system to me.

2013-06-18 2:50 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Jackemy1

I voted for him twice.

Thanks.

I've thought a lot about the multi-party argument and I can't really see how that is an improvement over what we got. I mean I look at the governments in Europe that have multi-party systems and they are just as screwed up as we are. Taking a two headed monster and turning it into a four headed monster doesn't seem like a more appealing party system to me.

Agreed.  I think a four headed monster would be bad.  I don't want four, but I think if the Pubs split that's what we'll have next go round.

I think there are myriad reasons why three parties would be good for us, but namely, namely to shake up the institutions that have become the Republican and Democratic parties and the entitlement, nepotism, and pandering that have become the norm.  The Old Guard on Committees and Subcommittees that is, in large part, responsible for appropriations, needs a check that I don't think can happen with continuing the two-party system.

Also, though you can still have partisan issues with three parties, it does shift the dynamic quite a bit, and people who are a lot smarter about this stuff than I am argue that it could get "more done".  What that more is could, obviously, be just as scary as what's going on now.

2013-06-18 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
I voted for Obama twice. I also voted for Bush twice. I was really angry by the end of Bush's second term, especially in that he completely squandered a leadership opportunity for the US after 9-11 when the entire world was on our side. Instead we got mired in 2 useless wars, he added 5 trillion to the debt, and the Republican party offered more of the same. I really bought into the whole hope and change idea. Here's an educated man close to my age, full of energy, and offering a different direction for the country. I also thought that with young children securing their future would be a top priority in everything from defense to education.

Flash forward to today and they key word is disillusionment. Instead of hope and change I feel we got partisan politics and status quo. At least with Bush and Cheney you KNEW where they stood. With Obama there has been NO transparency and no real change. More wasted opportunity, especially in the first two years when his part controlled the House and Senate.

I get that once he became president he quickly learned the world isn't all rainbows and unicorns. There are people who don't want a debate, they want us dead. If you campaign and say you want to close Gitmo (for example) and then you find there are valid reasons for keeping it open, explain them. The NSA surveillance program may be justified (I doubt it), but when everything is done in secret people will always assume the worst. Stop treating the American people like little kids, spoon feeding us news bites and thinking we can't handle anything difficult.

At this point I'm convinced that both parties exist only for self-perpetuation. But I'm especially angry with Obama because I expected more, not more of the same.

2013-06-18 4:04 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly I voted for Obama twice. I also voted for Bush twice. I was really angry by the end of Bush's second term, especially in that he completely squandered a leadership opportunity for the US after 9-11 when the entire world was on our side. Instead we got mired in 2 useless wars, he added 5 trillion to the debt, and the Republican party offered more of the same. I really bought into the whole hope and change idea. Here's an educated man close to my age, full of energy, and offering a different direction for the country. I also thought that with young children securing their future would be a top priority in everything from defense to education. Flash forward to today and they key word is disillusionment. Instead of hope and change I feel we got partisan politics and status quo. At least with Bush and Cheney you KNEW where they stood. With Obama there has been NO transparency and no real change. More wasted opportunity, especially in the first two years when his part controlled the House and Senate. I get that once he became president he quickly learned the world isn't all rainbows and unicorns. There are people who don't want a debate, they want us dead. If you campaign and say you want to close Gitmo (for example) and then you find there are valid reasons for keeping it open, explain them. The NSA surveillance program may be justified (I doubt it), but when everything is done in secret people will always assume the worst. Stop treating the American people like little kids, spoon feeding us news bites and thinking we can't handle anything difficult. At this point I'm convinced that both parties exist only for self-perpetuation. But I'm especially angry with Obama because I expected more, not more of the same.

Tru dat. Double tru.

2013-06-18 4:17 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
I never voted for Mr. Obama, and he has lived up to all the expectations I had for him.

Edited by NXS 2013-06-18 4:18 PM

2013-06-18 5:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

At this point I'm convinced that both parties exist only for self-perpetuation.

Why else does anything exist other than to survive and continue. That basic law applies to humanity but to the organizations that humanity creates including governments.

The primary goal of any government bureaucracy or party for that matter is to survive which the secondary goal to solve the problem that created them.

It would be against our nature as humans for the opposite to be true.

Edited by Jackemy1 2013-06-18 5:01 PM
2013-06-19 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I looked at Obama and Romney being the same at least in issues I am greatly against. I feel Romney was going to be way worse.

Both sides raised a billion dollars. That is a lot of favors to pay back. We will not have a government for the people while its so corrupted by money.
2013-06-19 2:52 PM

User image

Expert

I voted for him twice.

Thanks.

whatever president comes to office Is f....d. Our country has issues that are much bigger than who is in office.  Obama has not been able to deliver, but I still believe in the dream of good government. We do not really live in a country that allows for this to happen. 

2013-06-20 6:36 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Originally posted by KateTri1

whatever president comes to office Is f....d. Our country has issues that are much bigger than who is in office.  Obama has not been able to deliver, but I still believe in the dream of good government. We do not really live in a country that allows for this to happen. 

Based on the IRS, NSA, Benghazi etc.. scandals that have come to light as of late, I think that is all it will ever be.... a dream...(or maybe a memory) The US government has some serious fundamental issues that are going to cause massive problems in the future.  Our grandchildren will live in a MUCH different world that we are.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Tell me about Obama Rss Feed  

of 2