Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-20 8:38 AM
in reply to: TriRSquared

User image

Subject: RE: Tell me about Obama
Originally posted by TriRSquared

Originally posted by KateTri1

whatever president comes to office Is f....d. Our country has issues that are much bigger than who is in office.  Obama has not been able to deliver, but I still believe in the dream of good government. We do not really live in a country that allows for this to happen. 

Based on the IRS, NSA, Benghazi etc.. scandals that have come to light as of late, I think that is all it will ever be.... a dream...(or maybe a memory) The US government has some serious fundamental issues that are going to cause massive problems in the future.  Our grandchildren will live in a MUCH different world that we are.

You got that right....

I deal/have to tolerate the government just about everyday because of my line of business.

A two weeks ago I had a meeting with a regulatory who claims they sent a letter that we never responded to back in November. I was insistent that I never received the letter ask asked for them for a copy. They unsigned letter from my prior regulatory contact who retired in December. The letter looked really odd as it wasn't in the voice of my old regulator, the the job title on the letter was different than the old regulator used for every letter in the past ten years of letters I got from him, and finally when I requested the sign copy, the signature was not the same!

The bottom line is the new regulator forged his name and back dated a letter to attempt to site us on not complying with the regulations! And when I complain up the chain, they just cover their and get a stonewall. They can say or do anything and I have no recourse and no way to defend myself. They do whatever they hell they want.

The federal government is just way out of control.

2013-06-20 11:19 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Jackemy1

whatever president comes to office Is f....d. Our country has issues that are much bigger than who is in office.  Obama has not been able to deliver, but I still believe in the dream of good government. We do not really live in a country that allows for this to happen. 

Based on the IRS, NSA, Benghazi etc.. scandals that have come to light as of late, I think that is all it will ever be.... a dream...(or maybe a memory) The US government has some serious fundamental issues that are going to cause massive problems in the future.  Our grandchildren will live in a MUCH different world that we are.

You got that right.... I deal/have to tolerate the government just about everyday because of my line of business. A two weeks ago I had a meeting with a regulatory who claims they sent a letter that we never responded to back in November. I was insistent that I never received the letter ask asked for them for a copy. They unsigned letter from my prior regulatory contact who retired in December. The letter looked really odd as it wasn't in the voice of my old regulator, the the job title on the letter was different than the old regulator used for every letter in the past ten years of letters I got from him, and finally when I requested the sign copy, the signature was not the same! The bottom line is the new regulator forged his name and back dated a letter to attempt to site us on not complying with the regulations! And when I complain up the chain, they just cover their and get a stonewall. They can say or do anything and I have no recourse and no way to defend myself. They do whatever they hell they want. The federal government is just way out of control.

It's taken on a life of it's own... and the other problem with that is government workers. This whole thing with the IRS and they just keep saying... oh, well you can't actually fire a government worker. Like that takes a act of Congress to do. Anywhere I go, I can be fired for incompetence of falsifying/covering up work. And yes... in fact, I am a government worker, I'm just not in the Federal union. It is ridiculous.

2013-06-20 4:30 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Expert
Originally posted by powerman
Originally posted by Jackemy1

You got that right.... I deal/have to tolerate the government just about everyday because of my line of business. A two weeks ago I had a meeting with a regulatory who claims they sent a letter that we never responded to back in November. I was insistent that I never received the letter ask asked for them for a copy. They unsigned letter from my prior regulatory contact who retired in December. The letter looked really odd as it wasn't in the voice of my old regulator, the the job title on the letter was different than the old regulator used for every letter in the past ten years of letters I got from him, and finally when I requested the sign copy, the signature was not the same! The bottom line is the new regulator forged his name and back dated a letter to attempt to site us on not complying with the regulations! And when I complain up the chain, they just cover their and get a stonewall. They can say or do anything and I have no recourse and no way to defend myself. They do whatever they hell they want. The federal government is just way out of control.

It's taken on a life of it's own... and the other problem with that is government workers. This whole thing with the IRS and they just keep saying... oh, well you can't actually fire a government worker. Like that takes a act of Congress to do. Anywhere I go, I can be fired for incompetence of falsifying/covering up work. And yes... in fact, I am a government worker, I'm just not in the Federal union. It is ridiculous.

Believe it or not, union members can be fired for that too... I've seen it happen. 

2013-06-23 5:46 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I voted for him twice.

He will end up (if he isn't already) being one of the worst presidents this country has known. 

Could you expound on that?

Why do you say he will end up the worst? Was this your view before that second vote or did it change in the last 7 months? Or was your vote a vote against Romney?

I'll expand on it, but only with the qualifier that I feel like a total dumbazz.  The other qualifier being that I think all current politicians are effed up.  The entire Congress should be gutted.  They're despicable.  They no longer represent their constituents; they pander to lobbyists and PACS and need to be thrown out.

OK, that being said, I think Obama's been weak. I voted him for the second time because I thought, having secured a second term, he would be the president I hoped he would be in the first term.  And because Mittens?  Seriously?  No, helllllllz no.

The current partisan political climate is completely disgusting.  Our budget crisis, and continued outrageous levels of spending, are a sick joke that I don't know how we are going to recover from.

There really has not been a candidate that I have loved lately.  I am pro-choice. I think people should be able to marry whoever they want.  I think we should have real environmental controls and looking for REAL energy independence through "green" technology.  I think we should wean Big AG off of subsidies, just as I think we should put limits on welfare and unemployment. We need to overhaul SS.  And we need a freakin balanced budget. I don't mind paying my taxes, but not for the crap that we're currently doing.  That candidate doesn't exist, but I thought Obama would come closer than Mittens.

I'm no die-hard Dem.  I will vote for the right person, or, the least of the evils.  Hence, Obama x2.  If the Pubs could have come up with anyone halfway decent, I would have seriously considered them.  The litany of losers they put forth was just mind-blowing. 

I always thought FDR would go down as the worst president, but I agree Obama will make a good run at that title.

I think Obama won by default. The minute McCain picked his VP, he conceded the election. Seeing how much McCain kisses Obama butt, I wonder if it was planned. Then the second election it was Romney. Yeah, right. Reminded me of Bush vs. Kerry. As if Kerry was going to really win. President by default. 330 million people in this country and these are the best clowns we can find to be President.

I was an intern in DC for both parties and left DC very jaded. I always wanted to run for Congress but not after my internship. The corruption and out right lies from both parties to the voters is disgusting. It's disturbing how party loyalists honestly believe their party is not as corrupt as the other party. I could share all my personal experience, but the loyalists refuse to believe any of it.

Even with the NSA, IRS and DOJ scandals, liberals will point to Bush and claim he started it all with the Patriot Act. The PA is no longer owned by Bush, it's Obama's the minute he renewed it. But for some reason, Obamanites just don't see that. Same thing when discussing Bush tax cuts. Minute Obama renewed them, they are Obama tax cuts.

The political divide today is just destroying this country. It's impossible to debate politics anymore. During the last election, I could predict a liberals response: either blame Bush or start with personal attacks. I can't tell you how many times I've been called a racists. Republicans just point fingers. Neither accept responsibility for anything. Until the two party system is gone, our country will continue the downward spiral. Anybody that votes a party line represents everything that is wrong with our country.

My background is economics, so I've participated in debates on Bloomberg radio and NPR. I believe Obamacare will be a bigger disaster than Social Security. I'm all for healthcare reform, but Obamacare is not reform. It's the same system, just more demand. Healthcare has inelastic demand, thus there is just no way you can increase demand and not see prices go through the roof. I've basically lost my medical insurance due to Obamacare. My employer flat out disclosed it was because of Obamacare. My deductible went from $2000 to $20000. I basically have major medical now. I'm working on a research paper now about the shift from full-time employment to temps by businesses. As of now 98.6% of businesses I've interviewed are reducing full-time employment and shifting to temps. My research isn't done so I'm not going to quote job loss, but the percentage of businesses cut back far exceeds my projections. I remember in 2011 during a radio interview I predicted 75% of businesses would cut employment. Can't believe how far off I was. Now with the mandates hitting in 2014, it will be interesting to see how many people are upset to see their taxes go up or their job turn into a temp.

If only Washington focused on what is good for the country instead of what is good for the careers.....

2013-06-23 6:26 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Elite

Believe it or not, union members can be fired for that too... I've seen it happen. 

Yet it is very rare.

2013-06-23 6:37 PM
in reply to: guppie58

User image

Elite

Originally posted by guppie58  I always thought FDR would go down as the worst president, but I agree Obama will make a good run at that title. I think Obama won by default. The minute McCain picked his VP, he conceded the election. Seeing how much McCain kisses Obama butt, I wonder if it was planned. Then the second election it was Romney. Yeah, right. Reminded me of Bush vs. Kerry. As if Kerry was going to really win. President by default. 330 million people in this country and these are the best clowns we can find to be President. I was an intern in DC for both parties and left DC very jaded. I always wanted to run for Congress but not after my internship. The corruption and out right lies from both parties to the voters is disgusting. It's disturbing how party loyalists honestly believe their party is not as corrupt as the other party. I could share all my personal experience, but the loyalists refuse to believe any of it. Even with the NSA, IRS and DOJ scandals, liberals will point to Bush and claim he started it all with the Patriot Act. The PA is no longer owned by Bush, it's Obama's the minute he renewed it. But for some reason, Obamanites just don't see that. Same thing when discussing Bush tax cuts. Minute Obama renewed them, they are Obama tax cuts. The political divide today is just destroying this country. It's impossible to debate politics anymore. During the last election, I could predict a liberals response: either blame Bush or start with personal attacks. I can't tell you how many times I've been called a racists. Republicans just point fingers. Neither accept responsibility for anything. Until the two party system is gone, our country will continue the downward spiral. Anybody that votes a party line represents everything that is wrong with our country.

... If only Washington focused on what is good for the country instead of what is good for the careers.....

It isn't going to change, and we will never be without a two party system. Social animals just can't get over the us vs. them mentality.... and it is just so easy to stoke that fire.

Fundamentally, it is legit. From the days of our founding, there have been those that saw a bigger role for the Federal government, and those that saw a limited role with more weight on the states. Right now, the (R) are all for big government, and the (D) just want a bigger one.

But it isn't a big or small, (R) or (D) thing, it is a money thing. It has corrupted DC absolutely. The People can't compete with the size of government, and the money involved. Now I am not saying the government is "tyranical", but the American people have lost control of DC. And it isn't a conspiracy, and nobody stole anything... the American people freely gave it demanding more and more... and we are not getting it back barring a complete financial melt down, or some sort of natural reset.

... and all the while they just keep putting out more smoke and mirrors and stoke the Us vs. Them mentality.

2013-06-23 7:14 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by guppie58  I always thought FDR would go down as the worst president, but I agree Obama will make a good run at that title. I think Obama won by default. The minute McCain picked his VP, he conceded the election. Seeing how much McCain kisses Obama butt, I wonder if it was planned. Then the second election it was Romney. Yeah, right. Reminded me of Bush vs. Kerry. As if Kerry was going to really win. President by default. 330 million people in this country and these are the best clowns we can find to be President. I was an intern in DC for both parties and left DC very jaded. I always wanted to run for Congress but not after my internship. The corruption and out right lies from both parties to the voters is disgusting. It's disturbing how party loyalists honestly believe their party is not as corrupt as the other party. I could share all my personal experience, but the loyalists refuse to believe any of it. Even with the NSA, IRS and DOJ scandals, liberals will point to Bush and claim he started it all with the Patriot Act. The PA is no longer owned by Bush, it's Obama's the minute he renewed it. But for some reason, Obamanites just don't see that. Same thing when discussing Bush tax cuts. Minute Obama renewed them, they are Obama tax cuts. The political divide today is just destroying this country. It's impossible to debate politics anymore. During the last election, I could predict a liberals response: either blame Bush or start with personal attacks. I can't tell you how many times I've been called a racists. Republicans just point fingers. Neither accept responsibility for anything. Until the two party system is gone, our country will continue the downward spiral. Anybody that votes a party line represents everything that is wrong with our country.

... If only Washington focused on what is good for the country instead of what is good for the careers.....

It isn't going to change, and we will never be without a two party system. Social animals just can't get over the us vs. them mentality.... and it is just so easy to stoke that fire.

Fundamentally, it is legit. From the days of our founding, there have been those that saw a bigger role for the Federal government, and those that saw a limited role with more weight on the states. Right now, the (R) are all for big government, and the (D) just want a bigger one.

But it isn't a big or small, (R) or (D) thing, it is a money thing. It has corrupted DC absolutely. The People can't compete with the size of government, and the money involved. Now I am not saying the government is "tyranical", but the American people have lost control of DC. And it isn't a conspiracy, and nobody stole anything... the American people freely gave it demanding more and more... and we are not getting it back barring a complete financial melt down, or some sort of natural reset.

... and all the while they just keep putting out more smoke and mirrors and stoke the Us vs. Them mentality.

OK, I may still have too much faith in the American populous, but I think people are getting sick of the whole lot in DC.  I know, I know, we have a nation of sheeple, but when things get bad, and by bad I mean a lot worse than they are now (not to minimize now), people are going to be very willing to throw everyone out, revolution style.  At least third party style.  Now, whether or not a third party could raise enough money to be a legit challenge, well, we'll have to wait and see.  I think we'll see it.

2013-06-23 7:40 PM

User image

Elite

OK, I may still have too much faith in the American populous, but I think people are getting sick of the whole lot in DC.  I know, I know, we have a nation of sheeple, but when things get bad, and by bad I mean a lot worse than they are now (not to minimize now), people are going to be very willing to throw everyone out, revolution style.  At least third party style.  Now, whether or not a third party could raise enough money to be a legit challenge, well, we'll have to wait and see.  I think we'll see it.

Well let's put this in context... We went to war "in" Iraq on trump up intel... without declaring war "on" Iraq... 100 of thousands of Iraqi citizens were killed, or displaced as a direct result.... It cost us nearly a trillion dollars....and we re-elected the guy that did it so he could finish.

The next guy denounced all that in the longest campaign in U.S. history.... said he was going to do it all different... promised a whole host of changes....actually did the opposite of mostly everything he said he was going to do... and the American people re-elected him so he could finish that job.

All the while, the U.S. entered into the worst financial crisis in American history... effected global economy... all entirely cause by policy from DC from (R)s and (D) raping the public blind... and not one person went to jail, and not one pitchfork made it to the WH lawn.

And you have faith in the American people?

We have had a third party for decades... the only legitimate one, the Libertarian Party.... it can't accomplish squat.... The most popular of all Libertarians, Ron Paul... switched parties because he would never get elected as a Libertarian... and not one single special interest group will give one single dollar to a party that will strip themselves of power and shrink the Federal government.

So we already know that is not enough to get any change from the American voters.... what do you think it will take?

2013-06-23 7:48 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Well let's put this in context... We went to war "in" Iraq on trump up intel... without declaring war "on" Iraq... 100 of thousands of Iraqi citizens were killed, or displaced as a direct result.... It cost us nearly a trillion dollars....and we re-elected the guy that did it so he could finish.

The next guy denounced all that in the longest campaign in U.S. history.... said he was going to do it all different... promised a whole host of changes....actually did the opposite of mostly everything he said he was going to do... and the American people re-elected him so he could finish that job.

All the while, the U.S. entered into the worst financial crisis in American history... effected global economy... all entirely cause by policy from DC from (R)s and (D) raping the public blind... and not one person went to jail, and not one pitchfork made it to the WH lawn.

We have had a third party for decades... the only legitimate one, the Libertarian Party.... it can't accomplish squat.... The most popular of all Libertarians, Ron Paul... switched parties because he would never get elected as a Libertarian... and not one single special interest group will give one single dollar to a party that will strip themselves of power and shrink the Federal government.

So we already know that is not enough to get any change from the American voters.... what do you think it will take?

More job loss, a stock market crash, food and prices that we've never seen (think 2-3x what they are now, and, oh yes, that oculd happen) and overwhelming infrastructure failure.  I think that'll do it.

I've heard people from both sides who have spent their LIVES in politics abandoning the system.  It's an interesting time.

2013-06-23 9:35 PM

User image

Elite

Yep, which is why I said it will take an economic collapse. As bad as it has gotten, we are not close to true change.

Even look at the TEA party... they started with one issue out of a grass roots movement.... and it did not even take an election cycle to be swallowed up and assimilated by the (R)s. Now it is nothing more than an extreme arm of the Republican party where all the social conservatives went.

2013-06-24 7:34 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Well the first step is admitting we have a problem and more and more people are seeing the deception on both sides.

I agree that it will take a collapse of some magnitude to impart any change at all, and it will take a monolithic collapse in order to get any substantive change.

One thing I do find encouraging is that intelligent people on both sides of the political spectrum seem to be rallying around the fiscal conservatism cause.

2013-06-26 3:16 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
While I was an intern for a Senator, he took me for a walk along the mall. We bought some food and sat on a park bench along a pond. Ducks came up to us begging for food. The Senator used the ducks as an analogy:

The park does not like people feeding the ducks because the ducks become dependent on humans for food instead of hunting their own food. Thus the reason for the 'please don't feed the ducks' signs. People ignore the sign and feed the ducks, thus the reason they are basically domesticated and will take food from your hand.

The Senator said Washington works the same way. Feed the voters and they will become dependent. The food is government entitlement programs. Once the voter is dependent on the Washington, they will do every they can to keep us in Washington.

This was in the early 1990's.
2013-06-26 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by guppie58 While I was an intern for a Senator, he took me for a walk along the mall. We bought some food and sat on a park bench along a pond. Ducks came up to us begging for food. The Senator used the ducks as an analogy: The park does not like people feeding the ducks because the ducks become dependent on humans for food instead of hunting their own food. Thus the reason for the 'please don't feed the ducks' signs. People ignore the sign and feed the ducks, thus the reason they are basically domesticated and will take food from your hand. The Senator said Washington works the same way. Feed the voters and they will become dependent. The food is government entitlement programs. Once the voter is dependent on the Washington, they will do every they can to keep us in Washington. This was in the early 1990's.

Great analogy.

I have a book that rotates on my coffee table selectively "Welfare Ranching".  It gives people pause for a few seconds, and it's interesting to watch their faces as the reality of that title sinks in.  I live in rural corn and beans Iowa.

2013-06-26 9:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

“As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

- H. L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

The funniest thing about that quote, to me, is that it was used extensively by Obama supporters with regard to G.W. Bush.  You couldn't make it up.  Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2013-06-26 9:32 PM
2013-06-27 7:36 AM

User image

Expert

I've heard people from both sides who have spent their LIVES in politics abandoning the system.  It's an interesting time.

This.

term limits.

Anyone who spends their "life" in office only has one goal. To stay there. 

2013-06-27 7:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Yet it is very rare.

Does the union potentially protect workers from being indiscriminately fired and put in terrible working conditions? yes.

Are there a few bad eggs that know the system and are able to protect themselves? yes

Are 98 percent of the union employees hard working and doing as good a job as anyone that could "replace" them?

In my personal experience, yes. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-06-27 7:41 AM

2013-06-27 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Yet it is very rare.

Does the union potentially protect workers from being indiscriminately fired and put in terrible working conditions? yes.

Are there a few bad eggs that know the system and are able to protect themselves? yes

Are 98 percent of the union employees hard working and doing as good a job as anyone that could "replace" them?

In my personal experience, yes. 

I think you could answer the same questions using a non-union shop. As an economist, labor unions are tough to defend since they create market failures. But the labor union debate is an entirely different subject than this Obama thread.

Obama the candidate for president and Obama the president are two entirely different people. Candidates will say whatever they need to say to get elected. I helped write speeches for congress members that were complete lies, but it's what that audience wanted to hear.

Obama is a complete hypocrite compared to his campaign promises. However, every single president before him was as well. Once they get in the Oval Office, they realize they are nothing more than a hood ornament. The real power and control is behind the scenes; Power and control is held by the large campaign donors. The easiest example to point to is Wall Street reform. There is none. The Dodd-Frank act, which I help banks become compliant with, is a joke. It has some teeth to it, but it's basically political artwork. Something to show the voters that they are controlling Wall Street. Nothing has changed on Wall Street. Obama's CEA was headed by Summers for a long time. The same guy that was in charge during the bubble. The same guy who said derivatives should never be regulated. I could go on, but you get the point.

Politicians are very much like NASCAR race cars. The only difference is that politicians don't have to wear all those patches and stickers showing who controls them. Until there is campaign reform, control will continue to be held by those who donate the most.
2013-06-27 10:30 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by guppie58 The real power and control is behind the scenes; Power and control is held by the large campaign donors. The easiest example to point to is Wall Street reform. There is none.  Until there is campaign reform, control will continue to be held by those who donate the most.

Some excellent wisdom right there!

2013-06-27 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by guppie58 The real power and control is behind the scenes; Power and control is held by the large campaign donors. The easiest example to point to is Wall Street reform. There is none.  Until there is campaign reform, control will continue to be held by those who donate the most.

I completely agree.
2013-06-27 11:50 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I completely agree.

Yay Kate, we agree on something.  ;-)

2013-06-27 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

More job loss, a stock market crash, food and prices that we've never seen (think 2-3x what they are now, and, oh yes, that oculd happen) and overwhelming infrastructure failure.  I think that'll do it.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a huge Ayn Rand fan (I don't 100% agree with everything she says but I agree with a very large chunk of it, also I may or may not have a tattoo for Atlas Shrugged) and I've read Atlas Shrugged more times than any sane person should.

I find the parallels between Atlas Shrugged and our current situation remarkably prescient. When you see comments like career politicians jumping out of politics because it's so bad, it reminds me of how all the "good ol' boys" in the book started complaining about the new crop of politicians i.e. Wesley Mouch.

The book is one of the reasons I have no hope for our country. There will never be enough people "waking up" to the realization that both sides of our government are merely raping & pillaging us for as long as they can get away with it. The people that might truly try and fix our country, will never have a shot at winning any actual election of importance.

2013-06-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
JoshR I do agree with you in many with Atlas shrugged and parallels with our government. I doubt those in congress who preach Ayn Rand are the solution either. Kinda like Obama and hope/change its more marketing than anything.

What amazes me is many people do not want to run because they fear skeletons in the closets will haunt them. That there is a scary machine behind the scenes that will destroy them if they even try. After seeing so many of our current leaders and all the dirt that is known about them. Makes me wonder if that fear the public has is the only real thing keeping those people in. That and the money. I knew a train conductor who was a regular Joe but very smart and I really liked a lot of his views and he would run but he was always crushed. I give him a lot of credit of trying.
2013-06-27 3:49 PM

User image

Elite

This.

term limits.

Anyone who spends their "life" in office only has one goal. To stay there. 

We have term limits, they are called elections. The people are free to cast career politicians out on their rear any time they want.... well, every election.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Tell me about Obama Rss Feed  

of 2