General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting from 13% bodyfat to 9-10% bodyfat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-18 3:17 PM

New user

Subject: Getting from 13% bodyfat to 9-10% bodyfat?
How could i go upon this? And how long would it take to get there? Any routines or examples would be greatly appreciated!

2013-06-19 5:40 PM
in reply to: _James_Lane_

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
Subject: RE: Getting from 13% bodyfat to 9-10% bodyfat?
That takes dedication for sure. Very little, if any, alcohol (beer); lots of fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins (fish, chicken) and all in the proper portions. You're also gonna need some high volume or high intensity training to burn off that fat. People do it everyday but it requires more dedication and hard work than most want to put into it (myself included). I know how to get it done, but I like a beer or two and a slice of pizza every now and then. It's the last 5-10 lbs that are the hardest to get off.
2013-06-19 10:50 PM
in reply to: Dave 2.0

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
I am at 8%or 10-11% depending on the scale used.
All I do is eat healthy, have one beer (MAX) a day and workout 10 - 15 hours a week...
2013-06-20 5:48 AM
in reply to: _James_Lane_

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It really depends on your lean body build... for some people 13% body fat is really quite low, for others 9-10% might be more than they should carry...

Let's just assume that 13% is a bit more than you should carry. Think about how you train to start with. You need distance to burn sufficient mount of energy to allow you body to use up the energy stored (i.e. fat). Also, the more muscle mass you carry, the more calories you will need, so adding a small mount of muscles can have a quite drastic effect on body fat %.

I'm a firm believer in that it's not only what you eat, but also how and when. Make sure you skip anything that is empty calories (yes, that includes beer and wine... they may not be very high in calories, but they add no additional value by consuming them, expect they do taste good, but I digress). Also, reduce your evening meals. If think about it, you are much more active during the day than you are at night, so eat a larger breakfast, a larger lunch, and a very small dinner (pretty much the exact opposite of what most of us Americans do...). You also need to figure out what works for you in terms of a balance between carbs, proteins and fats. Personally, I can't eat a high volume of carbs or I get sluggish and add weight quickly... we all need carbs though, it the only energy source (i.e. fast energy) that the brain can use (hence you get sluggish, disoriented and may have difficulty talking when you bonk). Lean proteins and large volumes of veggies (the darker the green the better for you, kale, broccoli, etc.) Fruits can be surprisingly calorie packed, so be conscious of what you eat. You do need fats, so don't skip that. High quality olive oil, avocado and nuts in moderation will help you lose weight.

Almost the most important thing you should do is to keep a detailed log book. What did you eat, how did you feel afterwards (to determine what is the best mix of carbs/proteins/fats), how many calories did you take in and how many calories did you use up (so you will need to know your resting metabolic rate... then add your daily activities, work, training, etc.). Don't try to lose too fast. Shoot for 0.5 lbs per week (especially since you don't have that much to lose) and be aware of lean muscle mass so you can determine weight loss in relationship to body fat %. Trying to cut body fat quickly is usually not a very good idea if you are trying to maintain the lower % once you hit the goal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting from 13% bodyfat to 9-10% bodyfat? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Winning with WW - 10/7 - 10/13 Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 4464 Posts: 82

2007-10-15 11:33 AM lastcall2003

Ironman bodyfat scale?

Started by Janzaldua
Views: 760 Posts: 1

2007-09-17 9:18 AM Janzaldua

STARTING TO LOSE BODYFAT!!!!

Started by ff829
Views: 1326 Posts: 15

2006-02-20 8:46 AM bikingbruise

Question about Bodyfat Scales...

Started by Christ
Views: 1370 Posts: 7

2006-01-11 4:24 PM McFuzz

bodyfat log

Started by treiks813
Views: 1302 Posts: 7

2004-08-03 1:52 PM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : August 19, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 7
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 3
I can't hold my stomach in during a race, and certainly not my rear end. Use race photos as motivation.

date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.