Triathlon Ready
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 19s
Overall Rank = 119/705
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/36
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am. I had a very vivid dream that it was 7:30 and I missed the race so I woke up in a panic. I felt crappy on Saturday and it continued in to Sunday. Headache, low grade fever, and stomach problems. Ate a honey stinger bar and gathered up the family to head to the race site. Transition was rack anywhere you want. I haven't ever seen that before but it wasn't bad. Just seemed disorganized inside my own mine to not have numbers or age group signs to find your spot.
Event warmup:

My swim goggles busted on the Friday before the race so I bought a new pair and got them adjusted in the lake before the race and did a few hundred yards of swimming as a warm up.
Swim
  • 10m 57s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided to go at a very comfortable pace for the first 200 meters, evaluate and then step up the pace based on how I felt. For the first 100 meters, I wasn't going real fast so I had alot of traffic to deal with. After 150, I seemed to have clean water and could see 10-12 people in front of me from my wave. After rounding the turnaround buoy, I quickened the pace and passed a few more people in my wave and started passing people in the previous wave. At about 50 meters to go, there was a big log jam of about 10 people that would be exiting together so caught on to the back of that pack and came in with them. I'm not real happy with the time considering open water navigation is usually a problem but I did real well this race and didn't add too much unnecessary yardage. I did have someone t-bone me on the way back to the beach but that was funny. I stopped and let this guy swim the wrong direction. I could have pressed harder but I really started to feel fatigued. May have been from being a little sick. I don't know.
What would you do differently?:

Should have trusted my ability to maintain a quicker pace and picked it up from the get go. I really should have been in around 9 minutes.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

The fastest times in my age group were around 1:21. I ran from the beach to transition and thought I did everything fast. I certainly didn't feel like I was on a penalty kill in T1. I'm not exactly sure why I would be 30 seconds off some of the other guys.

I really don't know.
Bike
  • 40m 4s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 20.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode the whole way with the guy who finished third in my age group. Really good guy and we were able to motivate each other and keep the pace up. He thanked me after the race for keeping him going. Great thing about this sport and I was happy for him. Best ride I have had in a race and 21mph was a PR. I downed a bottle of Skratch Labs pineapple and two honey stingers. It was hard to take the hands off the bars when the sections were rough so you had to be careful. Course was quick and very well marked. Some rolling hills but nothing hard by any means. I felt pretty good on the bike actually.

Nothing much. It went well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

There was only one T2 time in my age group faster than me so this went well. Nothing much to complain about with my time. I was very efficient for this race.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 17s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I started running, I just didn't feel right. The guy that finished third passed me about .75 miles into the run. I hung with him until the 2 mile mark and then just couldn't find an extra gear. I should have been easily able to hold 7:30 miles on that course but I just didn't have it. I'm not sure if feeling a little sick started to catch up with me or not. I wasn't too disappointed. 5th is good and I'll take it but finishing 30 seconds out of third was close enough to make you wonder. Nice venue and the people are great there. I live in Dallas so this isn't something I would do every year because of the distance. I'm doing the Texas Tri Series so I'm doing all of their races this season. It's fun getting to know everyone and the competition is good. Good times in Pflugerville.

I'm not sure. I should have been faster but there are good days and bad. Move on to the next one.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a popsickle, some cold water and they gave us cold towels which felt great on my head. Checked the results to see where I finished. They are serious about not letting anyone into transition until the last biker comes through so there was a big line waiting to get into transition. Talked to several of the guys in my age group, got my bike and headed to the Oasis for Fathers Day lunch before driving back to Dallas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably not feeling 100%. My training has been good and I am improving every race.

Event comments:

This is my second Jack and Adams race as a part of the Tri Series. They do a good job organizing the event.

Last updated: 2013-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:57 | 547 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 7/36
Overall: 247/705
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Out and back counter clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:04 | 14.2 miles | 20.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/36
Overall: 92/705
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: It was almost diamond shaped starting to the NE. Wind was from the South at about 10 but it seemed stronger at times. Mostly two laned blacktop. Some of it was good and some sections were very rough. It was open to traffic and that was problematic at times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:17 | 03 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/36
Overall: 145/705
Performance: Below average
Course: Crushed granite trail that went one loop around the lake. Really flat and pretty fast. I think there were two or three aid stations, I don't remember but the spacing was good. I remember that. I didn't need them and just kept on running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-18 5:52 PM

User image

New user

Colleyville, Texas
Subject: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

2013-06-20 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4780361

User image

Austin
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

Nice re-cap sorry to hear you didn't feel well.

I train out at this lake, and seeing your bike time compared to mine, means I really need to step it up for the jacks generic out there later this year. I'm sure we are not in the same age group though so not too worried.

Thanks again

2013-06-20 5:10 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

New user

Colleyville, Texas
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
I will be at Jacks Generic doing the Olympic. I'm not sure if they are doing two loops of the same course for the bike and I'm sure it's two loops for the run. It's a nice little lake. As an out of towner, I wish the hotels were closer to the venue. Seems like you know the roads pretty well around there as a native. I would suggest anyone racing out there to drive the course first. There are sections of the road that are very rough and it would be a bad time to reach for a water bottle or eat a gel. I'm glad I took the time to ride the course before the race. I knew exactly when I could eat and drink and when not to except once when I got caught in a bad section.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pflugerville Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

Started by rjbostick
Views: 1648 Posts: 3

2007-06-28 10:12 AM dland1009

Started by mkmbharris
Views: 1853 Posts: 4

2007-06-28 1:27 PM charles911

Started by aprils
Views: 1299 Posts: 4

2007-06-25 9:11 PM UTFan

Started by katzchen55
Views: 1850 Posts: 7

2007-06-29 9:02 AM max

Started by TTUTri
Views: 1430 Posts: 1

2007-06-24 12:11 PM TTUTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.