General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you carry a spare Tire(during IM race) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Do you carry a spare Tire(during IM race)
OptionResults
Yes11 Votes - [30.56%]
No24 Votes - [66.67%]
No, but i should have cus i got a DNF!1 Votes - [2.78%]

2013-06-18 6:38 PM

User image

Spokane
Subject: Do you carry a spare Tire(during IM race)
I just want to see how over cautious i'm being....

Edited by dkahns51 2013-06-18 6:38 PM

2013-06-18 7:52 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Do you carry a spare Tire(during IM race)
Good question....I am strapping one underneath my seat somehow someway.....had a dnf in a HIM due to a sidewall blowout last month on conti go 4000s......so taking one to imlp
2013-06-18 8:14 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
interesting....it's just such a pain to carry a tire. but if you need one, well...it's worth carting it along.
2013-06-19 5:51 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-19 8:10 AM

Master
Rural Ontario
I ride on clinchers so no, it seems overkill. Extrapolating that thought process I should have a spare chain in case mine snaps, spare pedals in case mine cracks, etc.

I do make sure my bike is good mechanical / physical order before a long distance race. That specifically includes the tires - I put on new tires if my old race tire has any visible cuts on the tread or sidewall, or if its more than 50% worn (it becomes a training tire on one of my other bikes). I always cary 2 tubes for HIM or IM races.
2013-06-19 11:11 AM
in reply to: tkos

Elite
Originally posted by tkos

If I rode tubular then yes, I would. With clinchers no. I would put new clinchers on with only a few test rides for an IM though. And I would carry a tire boot.

This.

With clinchers, just don't start the race on old tires. Bring at least one spare on the bike and have at least one extra in your bike special needs bag.

With tubulars I carry a tire in IM races...luckily I've never needed it.

2013-06-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: steveseer

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by steveseer
Originally posted by tkos If I rode tubular then yes, I would. With clinchers no. I would put new clinchers on with only a few test rides for an IM though. And I would carry a tire boot.
This. With clinchers, just don't start the race on old tires. Bring at least one spare on the bike and have at least one extra in your bike special needs bag. With tubulars I carry a tire in IM races...luckily I've never needed it.

What about HIM with tubulars?  (I ride tubies for races and am doing my first HIM in August - been wondering about just this).

Is a can of PitStop enough, or take that huge, wadded tire along somehow?  I know - if you need it, it's great...

Thoughts on the shorter distance?

Thanks!

Matt

2013-06-19 12:17 PM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

If I rode tubular then yes, I would. With clinchers no. I would put new clinchers on with only a few test rides for an IM though. And I would carry a tire boot.

This.

With clinchers, just don't start the race on old tires. Bring at least one spare on the bike and have at least one extra in your bike special needs bag.

With clinchers, carry two tubes with you if you want to have access to 2 at all. An extra tube in special needs is likley to be useless (odds of getting 1 flat in first 56 plus 1 flat in last 56 is well below the odds of getting 2 flats closer together). Many people put them there, but most of them might just as well put a $5 bill in there.
2013-06-19 12:35 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Salt Lake City
I misread the thread as do you carry a spare tube, which I do. I wouldn't bother with a whole tire, even if I was running tubies.
2013-06-19 1:36 PM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I had spare tires with me at the venue, and I think I put one in my special needs bag at CdA, but I didn't carry it with me on the bike. WTC is calling it "Special Foods" and makes no guarantees that you'll get it back, so if you do want to put one in your speckal needs bag, you might put a used one in.

I do carry a dollar bill and I have folded it between the tire and tube to finish out a ride. You can do something similar with a GU packet.

For an M-dot, I'd hope to be able to get to the next aid station on a temporary fix rather than simply hang out on the side of the road for bike support, but they (bike support) would eventually come by and they'll have tires.
2013-06-19 4:31 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Elite
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

This.

With clinchers, carry two tubes with you if you want to have access to 2 at all. An extra tube in special needs is likley to be useless (odds of getting 1 flat in first 56 plus 1 flat in last 56 is well below the odds of getting 2 flats closer together). Many people put them there, but most of them might just as well put a $5 bill in there.

A $5 tube at an IM race is less than one percent of doing the race. Worth it in my book. If you end up needing it, small price to pay rather than getting stuck and forfeiting the $1000+ most people pay to do an IM.

2013-06-19 4:46 PM
in reply to: tkos

Veteran
the Sipp

This ^^^
2013-06-19 5:40 PM

Expert
I voted wrong, didn't read the question carefully, spare tube yes, spare tire no. Carried a small bill to use in case of emergency - would work for a puncture but not a sidewall blow out.

2013-06-19 7:27 PM

Originally posted by tkos If I rode tubular then yes, I would. With clinchers no. I would put new clinchers on with only a few test rides for an IM though. And I would carry a tire boot.
This. With clinchers, just don't start the race on old tires. Bring at least one spare on the bike and have at least one extra in your bike special needs bag. With tubulars I carry a tire in IM races...luckily I've never needed it.
A $5 tube at an IM race is less than one percent of doing the race. Worth it in my book. If you end up needing it, small price to pay rather than getting stuck and forfeiting the $1000+ most people pay to do an IM.

Johnny was just pointing out that you're better off carrying the 2nd tube with you on the bike rather than putting it in the special needs bag.  Not that the 2nd tube wasn't worth having at all.

2013-06-20 8:58 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

This.

If you get your second flat at mile 36, you are 20 miles from your 'safety' tube. If you get your first at 60 and your second at 70, you won't ever have the chance to use the $5 you left in special needs. If you are concerned, carry 2 tubes from the start.

My opinion is most people don't really think through why they are putting an extra tube in special needs and how unusual the situation in which it would become useful actual is. I don't know a single story where someone flatted in the 1st half, picked up their xtra tube in special needs, and then flatted in the 2nd half. (It must have happened to somebody.) But I do know people who had multiple flats. They tend to occur relatively close together (some are due to bad tube installation after 1st flat, some to something remaining lodged in the tire, etc.).
2013-06-20 12:51 PM

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I would have thought that your chances of getting a spare tire (or even a tube if you've had multiple flats) from the SAG guys is pretty good. It would obviously result in a substantial delay, but it'd keep you from DNF.

2013-06-20 2:56 PM

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
No, but I put new tires on both wheels a couple of weeks before the race, and checked them carefully when I got to the race site. I also put on a new chain several weeks before. I think carting along a new tire during the race is overkill.

Ken
2013-06-20 3:50 PM
in reply to: kenail

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by kenail No, but I put new tires on both wheels a couple of weeks before the race, and checked them carefully when I got to the race site. I also put on a new chain several weeks before. I think carting along a new tire during the race is overkill. Ken

Agree for a clincher, but what about a tubular?

Seems fewer people are riding tubies in races these days (I know, the clinchers are that much better now - but my race quiver is all tubular, and I don't have the cheddar to upgrade across the board at the moment).

Matt

2013-06-20 5:52 PM

Master
Salt Lake City
I race tubies, so far I've only gone up to the HIM distance, but for that I just rode with the slimed tubies and carried a can of pit stop with me. Maybe I was living dangerously, but I don't know where I'd be able to cram a folded tire even if I wanted to bring it with me.
2013-06-20 7:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

What about HIM with tubulars?  (I ride tubies for races and am doing my first HIM in August - been wondering about just this).

Is a can of PitStop enough, or take that huge, wadded tire along somehow?  I know - if you need it, it's great...

Thanks!

Matt

I ride tubulars on race wheels and ALWAYS bring a spare, cause I dont like the idea of walking my my bike home over a flat. not all tubluars are the same and for a spare I think i can get away with a the equivalent of a 'donut' spare (in car terms). a pre-stretched pre-glued tufo jet 160 folds up tight enough to fit in my long bento box with a co2 canister and a co2 head, a small razor to cut off old tire, and a small snack. these items will also fit in a standard water bottle. In the one IM i did, i put one more tire in a special needs bag.
2013-06-21 7:12 AM
in reply to: bdenehy

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by bdenehy
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Thanks!

Matt

I ride tubulars on race wheels and ALWAYS bring a spare, cause I dont like the idea of walking my my bike home over a flat. not all tubluars are the same and for a spare I think i can get away with a the equivalent of a 'donut' spare (in car terms). a pre-stretched pre-glued tufo jet 160 folds up tight enough to fit in my long bento box with a co2 canister and a co2 head, a small razor to cut off old tire, and a small snack. these items will also fit in a standard water bottle. In the one IM i did, i put one more tire in a special needs bag.

Hmmmm…..  Interesting approach.  For a HIM, I could keep my rear hydration mount (flying mount and dismount are cool, but not that much of a time saver over the HIM) and have one bottle with a spare/kit.

Or, live dangerously, slime 'em up and carry a can of pitstop.

I suppose this is just one of those things that becomes a "learning" experience only after you choose wrong on a big day.  Wink

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you carry a spare Tire(during IM race) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

double post __Delete__

Started by dkahns51
Views: 540 Posts: 2

2013-06-18 6:39 PM kmac1346

Recommendations for carry spare tube and cartridges

Started by Bigrewards
Views: 1553 Posts: 12

2012-01-14 10:55 PM chrishayward

Innovative ways to carry spare tube and kit

Started by MonkeyClaw
Views: 9969 Posts: 16

2011-03-27 5:16 PM lbishop

Suggestions on carrying spare tubes

Started by The Mac
Views: 1050 Posts: 9

2007-04-18 11:35 PM bubba76819

Carry spare tire with you???

Started by dhyte
Views: 961 Posts: 11

2004-07-14 9:19 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.

date : April 3, 2005
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 3
One procedure for changing a tire that you might learn from, but certainly don't want to follow precisely!