General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Podium finishers and their bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-19 3:16 PM
in reply to: undertow

Subject: RE: Podium finishers and their bikes
I haven't seen this posted so I'll post it

A TT bike (Time Trial or Triathlon bike) will be a SOLID full 2 mph faster than a road bike with a proper fit and TT position. Period. 2 full mph+. Unless as stated the entire course is all uphill at grade of greater than about 5%.

For example. Lately I've been riding exclusively on my road bike. 250 watts gets me in the 22+ mph range in the flats. Contrast that to the Tri bike and I can move nearly or at 25 mph with the same power level with full aero gear.

Now you can go out and spend your hard earned money on a TT bike with a sky high aero bar (which makes you sit up straighter) and you probably won't be 2 mph faster. Position is everything when it comes to speed. Your body is by far and away the biggest drag on the bike.

A couple years ago I bought my first TT bike. I had a 10 mile route I'd ridden many many times all out on the road bike (in the drops!). The very first time out on the TT bike (zero practice) I was 3 mph faster. It's a crazy difference.

2013-06-19 3:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Look at ITU or the Olympics,. all are on road bikes.

Edited by CarlG 2013-06-19 3:22 PM
2013-06-19 3:33 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by CarlG

Look at ITU or the Olympics,. all are on road bikes.

Yes but that is because:

1) The rules require it, and
2) Draft legal riding means on should be on a road bike, not a tribike.

Shane
2013-06-19 3:40 PM
in reply to: cmscat50

Originally posted by cmscat50

For example. Lately I've been riding exclusively on my road bike. 250 watts gets me in the 22+ mph range in the flats. Contrast that to the Tri bike and I can move nearly or at 25 mph with the same power level with full aero gear.

Would you have picked up the 3mph gain without an aero helmet or aero wheels?
2013-06-19 3:46 PM
in reply to: cmscat50

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by cmscat50 I haven't seen this posted so I'll post it A TT bike (Time Trial or Triathlon bike) will be a SOLID full 2 mph faster than a road bike with a proper fit and TT position. Period. 2 full mph+. Unless as stated the entire course is all uphill at grade of greater than about 5%. For example. Lately I've been riding exclusively on my road bike. 250 watts gets me in the 22+ mph range in the flats. Contrast that to the Tri bike and I can move nearly or at 25 mph with the same power level with full aero gear. Now you can go out and spend your hard earned money on a TT bike with a sky high aero bar (which makes you sit up straighter) and you probably won't be 2 mph faster. Position is everything when it comes to speed. Your body is by far and away the biggest drag on the bike. A couple years ago I bought my first TT bike. I had a 10 mile route I'd ridden many many times all out on the road bike (in the drops!). The very first time out on the TT bike (zero practice) I was 3 mph faster. It's a crazy difference.

I can agree with the 2 mph. As an experiment, there was a group of us that did a weekly summer TT series, and for the last race, agreed to use our road bikes (road race set up instead of full-on TT set up). Pretty spot on 2 mph difference for each of us.

2013-06-19 4:58 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I have a road bike and have over a half dozen AG podiums. I qualified for AG Elite for the Hy-Vee 5150 race in Des Moines (4th in AG at local 5150) and also qualified for AG Nationals. I don't have the budget for a TT bike that fits me so the roadie with clip on aerobars will have to do. I recently smoked a bunch of guys on TT bikes in a 3 mile time trial on my roadie (2nd in AG) averaging 27.6 mph so yeah, I think you can be competitive. Keep working on the engine and I can't say enough about FIT FIT FIT. I got a Retul fit so my roadie with aerobars and FF seatpost is probably pretty close to the full TT setup. I still need work on climbing but that's me, not the bike.

2013-06-19 9:07 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Miami
x3

I also got 2 extra mph on my TT bike vs. my road bike. In my case, I got a TT bike because I live in Miami, FL, which is one of the flattest places you can live in and, so far, I have mostly raced local races, therefore a tri bike made sense for me.
2013-06-19 11:54 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by undertow

I'm riding a 2002 Raleigh r600 road bike (aluminum frame, stock components and wheels). Do you think upgrading the road bike to a new all carbon frame will get me much of a speed boost?

It will likely give you zero speed boost.

actually disagree... although the bike being carbon doesn't really have anything to do with it.
going from a road bike to a tri bike (with a good fit) should be a pretty significant boost in speed.

I believe the OP was asking if going from his current road bike to a new road bike would give him a speed boost, to which I would reply no.

Depends on the road bike. There is a huge difference between a round tube carbon bike and an S5, for example. Having said that most road bikes aren't going to help much, as they aren't that slippery.
2013-06-20 11:40 AM

Yes...mostly....because I didn't have race wheels when I first bought the bike, but was wearing an aero helmet.
2013-06-20 11:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Podium finishers and their bikes Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

HIM Finisher!!...it definately is all about the bike Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 3111 Posts: 39

2011-10-05 2:31 AM jgerbodegrant

Ironman Bike Pad, 140.6 Finishers Only Pages: 1 2

Started by pga_mike
Views: 5428 Posts: 47

2011-04-20 12:22 PM bdesotell

Podium or not to podium that is the question

Started by brianpeck
Views: 1782 Posts: 24

2009-10-12 8:54 AM Daremo

First tri and on the podium!!??

Started by bradword
Views: 1247 Posts: 23

2006-08-15 7:47 AM buckeye66

My first podium finish!

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 1207 Posts: 18

2005-10-12 9:26 AM trilover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : June 14, 2005
author : infosteward
More than any other factor – including distances in other sports, weight, height – time on bike proved important for faster performance.