General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My stupid left hip Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-19 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: My stupid left hip

Since last November my left hip has started to really get on my nerves.

Actually, I think there's something going on with the nerves surrounding my hip.  I can no longer lie on my left side without my hip starting to tingle with the pins and needles you feel after doing something silly like sleeping on your arm and when you wake up you have no feeling in it... then the arm starts to "wake up" and you get that really deep tingling sensation.  Well, that's how my hip feels, and it radiates not only across my abdomen, but also down my leg. It can get extremely uncomfortable at times and there will occasionally be the "burning" sensation around my hip if I'm sitting or lying down in a way that will aggravate it. 

To me, my left leg also feels weaker than my right (I especially notice a difference when doing 1-legged squats), but everything is fine according to the doctor I saw in February, and again when I went back in April. The doc said that something probably "shifted" during my IM race in November and it will "eventually sort itself out". 

Has anyone ever had anything like this? 

2013-06-19 12:07 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: My stupid left hip

It sounds to me like a nerve is being compressed in there somewhere.  

I also experience something similar but it's the lower leg and foot that feel like they're going to sleep, and it mostly happens after a hard workout.  Just by trial and error, I found that something else in the kinetic chain (the culprit was the hammy) was overly tight and essentially cutting off circulation on down the leg.  Foam rolling the living crap out of my hammy after workouts seems to help.

Do you do deep tissue massage and/or foam rolling?  I've found that with little body issues like this one, my masseuse can diagnose me better than an MD. 

2013-06-19 12:26 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

That's what I was thinking too - nerve being compressed, but I'm just not sure where the root cause is.

I know I need to foam roll more, so I'll definitely try that.  Sadly, I haven't found a massage therapist in Chicago yet that comes anywhere close to Frank (my MT in Vancouver).  He would hurt me so good.  Sounds like I need to do more trial and error testing to try and find relief. 

Thanks Noelle!

2013-06-19 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Just a thought....sometimes chiropractor's offices have really great masseuses who know more about sports injury than the average.  If your search has been fruitless it may be worth a try.  Good luck, hope you get some relief!  Isn't getting older fun??? Tongue out
2013-06-22 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Have you tried getting a referral to a pain management doc?  This is totally their arena.

A few years back I developed something called meragia paraesthetica (I may have butchered that spelling).  Basically SOMEWHERE in my hip a nerve was getting pinched off.  When standing the whole surface of my outer quad would fall asleep and the only way to wake it up was to sit down.  It got to the point where it would be severely painful while running. 

Pain management was able to do a bunch of injections to try to find the pinch point and reduce inflammation.  Not sure which stick got it, but it eventually subsided.  I also had my ART guy doing some work on the place where this nerve probably crosses the ITB (that was the starting point of my numbness...but it can go all the way up to the hip).  He worked some stuff loose in there that was probably not helping either.

Nerves take a very long time to heal.  So, if you've damaged it a bit it could take MONTHS after you find the solution to actually feel a difference in your daily activities.

The whole thing gave me an awesome appreciation for people with sciatica and stuff.  Unlike other injuries, nerves are SO F'ING ANNOYING!  Nerves default to pain and tingling so much of the time...unlike if you sprained and ankle...keep the ankle still the ankle is happy, right?  SO not the case with nerves.  Sometimes there is no position or fix that can make the nerve stop pinging.

2013-06-22 4:25 PM
in reply to: jldicarlo

Hope you figure out the hip issue and it feels better. I know injuries suck. My arm shoulder I jury has been lingering for over a month and while it is better not healed all the way . And then I hurt me leg today so icing it now. Talk about bummed!

Like another poster said it could take months to fully recover and I hope it is a speedy recovery for you.

2013-06-25 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by jldicarlo

Have you tried getting a referral to a pain management doc?  This is totally their arena.

A few years back I developed something called meragia paraesthetica (I may have butchered that spelling).  Basically SOMEWHERE in my hip a nerve was getting pinched off.  When standing the whole surface of my outer quad would fall asleep and the only way to wake it up was to sit down.  It got to the point where it would be severely painful while running. 

Pain management was able to do a bunch of injections to try to find the pinch point and reduce inflammation.  Not sure which stick got it, but it eventually subsided.  I also had my ART guy doing some work on the place where this nerve probably crosses the ITB (that was the starting point of my numbness...but it can go all the way up to the hip).  He worked some stuff loose in there that was probably not helping either.

Nerves take a very long time to heal.  So, if you've damaged it a bit it could take MONTHS after you find the solution to actually feel a difference in your daily activities.

The whole thing gave me an awesome appreciation for people with sciatica and stuff.  Unlike other injuries, nerves are SO F'ING ANNOYING!  Nerves default to pain and tingling so much of the time...unlike if you sprained and ankle...keep the ankle still the ankle is happy, right?  SO not the case with nerves.  Sometimes there is no position or fix that can make the nerve stop pinging.

COuld be this or something from your back or a combination of things.  I know several orthos in the Chicago area if you want some names PM me. 

2013-06-25 11:34 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Socks

COuld be this or something from your back or a combination of things.  I know several orthos in the Chicago area if you want some names PM me. 

Jen - thanks for the insight, I hadn't contemplated a pain management doc - but it really is time that I have to have this taken care of.

Doc Ott - I'm definitely sending you a PM, and thank you! 

2013-06-27 3:08 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl
Originally posted by Socks

Jen - thanks for the insight, I hadn't contemplated a pain management doc - but it really is time that I have to have this taken care of.

Doc Ott - I'm definitely sending you a PM, and thank you! 

I went straight from PCM to Pain Management, but Ortho/PT are also useful stops.  I think I skipped ortho because mine was so specifically the meraglia paresthetica...but they did eventually do MRIs and such which may have been beneficial to do FIRST. :D  Anyway, just throwing PM out there because people forget about them. :D  I thought it was a bunch of "drug handing out" hocus pocus, but the guy was pretty cool and wasn't just trying to drug me over...so it was nifty.  Nice learning experience!

2013-06-27 9:34 AM

As Jldicarlo stated, these things can be tricky and take a long time to diagnose and heal. BUT, it sounds like you are still training so it's not totally debilitating.

Post labral tear surgery, I have had a lot of issues, one being lateral hip/leg/shin pain/tingling/numbness. Here is my road:

Had 2 cortisone injections into the trochanteric bursae, helped with the local pain but not the running down the leg issues

Had my back checked out, existing disc issue got worse, did a cortisone epidural. Helped the back/posterior leg pain but not the lateral.

Now, I think it could be 1) nerve entrapment or 2) trigger point issues (which creates pain that feels like nerve pain). And I get that weird abdominal pain you get, i know that one!

I'd look into the trigger points. Do a search to research them, then possibly see a ART person. If they are really bad and cannot be released manually, you can get trigger point injections.

keep a good attitude, the road MAY be long.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My stupid left hip Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Left Hip Pain on the side

Started by carrie639
Views: 4304 Posts: 10

2013-06-27 10:54 AM jdevito20

Below the left knee, left of my shin

Started by lakeliine
Views: 909 Posts: 2

2009-04-23 1:45 PM rasher76

Broken left hip-- Sucks to be me

Started by theshum
Views: 1462 Posts: 6

2008-02-17 2:28 PM theshum

Clicking/ popping hips and hip pain

Started by Clare44
Views: 2791 Posts: 4

2013-06-27 10:46 AM jdevito20

Hip Flexor Fun

Started by domlazz
Views: 1536 Posts: 5

2008-05-10 9:34 AM aarondavidson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I decided that, after having a new hip put in 11 months ago, I needed a new lifestyle. Just wondering if there's anything that I should know about-especially for the running and biking.

date : August 24, 2009
comments : 0
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.
date : May 25, 2009
I strained my left hamstring over two years ago and thought I had gotten past it. Yesterday, it hampered me quite a bit and it felt like it was on the edge of giving out again.

date : October 15, 2008
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.
date : May 12, 2008
During a "power yoga" session I noticed pain with hip adduction/internal rotation. Running and biking don't seem to bother it, as long as I don't push it. I still have achy pain with walking.

date : May 12, 2008
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.
date : January 14, 2008
I have noticed an occasional pain in my left hip flexor. The pain is most noticeable when running uphill. Is there a way to fix the problem without taking time off from training?

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.