General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the order of your Swim/Bike/Run for the endurance sessions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-19 2:35 PM

User image

Subject: What is the order of your Swim/Bike/Run for the endurance sessions?
Hi all,

I'm a IM first timer and have been following a plan where my long workouts are: bike on Saturday, run early morning Sunday, and late afternoon swim. What has worked best for some you who have had a few IMs under their belt?

My goal in Placid is to enjoy the race and be injury free - I'm not pursuing a record breaking time.

Thanks!

2013-06-19 3:11 PM
in reply to: lgolding

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: What is the order of your Swim/Bike/Run for the endurance sessions?
I have always preferred to do my long runs before my long ride. For me, I'm more prone to running overuse injuries so I've had to be cautious of how far into the hole I go with my running. If I'm doing a long swim it's usually during the middle of the week so doesn't really bump against the long run/bike. I also don't do that many long swims.
2013-06-19 4:25 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: What is the order of your Swim/Bike/Run for the endurance sessions?

Two school of thoughts in IM training long runs.

First practice running on tired legs so long rides Saturday and long runs Sunday.

Second school of thought, train for each discipline as fresh as possible so split long run and long ride. Many do long run Wed or Thursday and long bike Saturday and if bad weather have option for long ride again on Sunday.

Others like to do weakest discipline first and freshest.

In the 4 IMs I've done, first one I did first way and split way 3 second way.

My fatigue was better with long training spread out.

2013-06-19 4:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Great points all! I have overuse injuries to both my knees - I'm most concerned about the run for that reason. I may try the long run mid-week and leave the long bike/swim on the weekend.

Edited by lgolding 2013-06-19 4:54 PM
2013-06-19 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
I run long Thursday mornings (even if it means getting up at 4am). I ride long Sat and Sun. See you in LP!
2013-06-20 7:24 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Originally posted by KathyG

First practice running on tired legs so long rides Saturday and long runs Sunday.

Second school of thought, train for each discipline as fresh as possible so split long run and long ride. Many do long run Wed or Thursday and long bike Saturday and if bad weather have option for long ride again on Sunday.

I wouldn't even consider the first school of thought a school of thought anymore.  Running on tired legs = suboptimal training.  There's absolutely no argument or discussion to be made in favor of that philosophy.

ALWAYS separate the long run and long bike by at least two days (preferably three) unless one's life schedule dictates otherwise.

2013-06-20 1:26 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

I'm training for my first as well. I am doing the long run midweek (usually Wednesday) and long ride on the weekend (whichever weekend day works best around kids' activities and weather). I, too, was concerned about overuse injuries on the run if running long on tired legs. I'll take that risk on race day but not in training. Wednesday is usually a swim day for me too and I'm finding this is becoming a problem as I prefer to do all my workouts in the morning. There aren't enough hours before work to swim and do a long run.

The other reason I'm doing this is to take my rest day on the weekend for family time. Obviously IM is a huge time commitment for my family. I'm trying to minimize the impact as best I can which means 4AM alarms Mon-Fri and 5:30AM long rides on Sat or Sun.
2013-06-20 8:01 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I wouldn't even consider the first school of thought a school of thought anymore.  Running on tired legs = suboptimal training.  There's absolutely no argument or discussion to be made in favor of that philosophy.

Besides the numerous wildly successful plans that have you train that way?
2013-06-20 8:56 PM

Chicago
Interesting topic, thanks for posting. I'll throw in my thinking for my first Ironman....I'm using a Fitzgerald plan that calls for a Sat long bike, Sun long run and long swim. But I'm fine with that because I come from a running background. I figure the let's say 55 mile bike that week is more important to me as a newer cyclist than the 12 mile run on Sunday. I've run enough marathons that I can cut my run short if need be and focus on the 2400m swim later in the day. (He has you run a tempo run on Friday.) YMMV
2013-06-20 10:55 PM
in reply to: bgraboski

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Originally posted by bgraboski

And they'd be more successful if they got with the program and updated their training plans for the 21st century to separate the long run and long bike.There's not a coach in the world worth a darn that advocates running on tired legs and plans for their athletes to do so (unless life dictates as I qualified previously). I couldn't take a plan or coach seriously that would advocate the Sat long run followed by the Sun long run. It makes no f'n sense.
2013-06-21 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Originally posted by bgraboski

And they'd be more successful if they got with the program and updated their training plans for the 21st century to separate the long run and long bike.There's not a coach in the world worth a darn that advocates running on tired legs and plans for their athletes to do so (unless life dictates as I qualified previously). I couldn't take a plan or coach seriously that would advocate the Sat long run followed by the Sun long run. It makes no f'n sense.
I meant Sat long bike, Sun long run in the last part.

2013-06-21 9:49 AM

User image

I did my long run, 17 miles yesterday/Thursday and am doing my 85 mile bike ride on Saturday. I'm still sore today, but I think by tomorrow I'll be alright by tomorrow. Thanks all for the great advice! This journey in training has been as interesting as it is eye-opening to how amazing the body can adapt to incredible stress. I've done marathons before and I thought the training was much harder than the race itself. Looking forward to seeing how Ironman training pulls together on race day!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the order of your Swim/Bike/Run for the endurance sessions? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Maintaining Run Endurance

Started by Gale4s
Views: 330 Posts: 1

2011-09-23 5:24 PM Gale4s

swim sessions

Started by queasy
Views: 698 Posts: 1

2009-07-05 4:55 PM queasy

swim and bike fine, but running...

Started by blocke
Views: 1169 Posts: 3

2008-04-21 8:13 AM KSH

Ironman Wisconsin VIDEO Preview done: Swim, T1, Bike and Run

Started by SimplyStu
Views: 1584 Posts: 6

2006-09-12 12:13 AM Birkierunner

Swim Wave Order

Started by koalabear
Views: 742 Posts: 5

2006-05-30 7:23 PM truebrits
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2013
author : LexieM
comments : 6
The first swimming session was particularly brutal. I managed one length of a 25 metre pool before stopping to get my breath back.

date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : May 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on bricks, bike position, blisters, bike fit, the walk/run method, improving run times, key sessions, training post ITBS, HR and cadence, wetsuits and eating to not bonk
date : May 16, 2005
author : Glenn
The real secret to improvement in running and bike times is variety within the routine. Endurance activity requires you to vary your training for maximum results.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.
date : August 29, 2004
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.