General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Apparently need run training guidance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-19 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Apparently need run training guidance

So, got the email with the race program in it.  Checking it out and looking over the rules to see if there's anything new and exciting.  On the bike, they say keep 4 bike lengths back to avoid drafting penalties when in the past I had always been told 3 lengths, but I guess that's interpretation of the draft zone from front wheel to front wheel vs. back wheel to front wheel perhaps.  No biggie.  Then I come upon the running rules and see this:

Run Rules
1. No form of locomotion other than running, walking or crawling is allowed.

OK.  I've been walking for over 50 years so think I can handle that portion.  Trained for marathons and my HIM plan has a lot of running built into it, so check that off.  Crawling.  Hmmm.  Can't say I've worked on that one.  Anyone got any tips on how to make the most out that that portion?  Suggested speedwork intervals?  Weight on the toes instead of the knees?  Keep the head up in aero position to minimize drag and maximize O2 intake?

I asked my infant granddaughter who was a whiz at the crawling thing, but the only advice she gave me in response was "Yummm!"

2013-06-19 4:51 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: Apparently need run training guidance
Originally posted by TTom

So, got the email with the race program in it.  Checking it out and looking over the rules to see if there's anything new and exciting.  On the bike, they say keep 4 bike lengths back to avoid drafting penalties when in the past I had always been told 3 lengths, but I guess that's interpretation of the draft zone from front wheel to front wheel vs. back wheel to front wheel perhaps.  No biggie.  Then I come upon the running rules and see this:

Run Rules
1. No form of locomotion other than running, walking or crawling is allowed.

OK.  I've been walking for over 50 years so think I can handle that portion.  Trained for marathons and my HIM plan has a lot of running built into it, so check that off.  Crawling.  Hmmm.  Can't say I've worked on that one.  Anyone got any tips on how to make the most out that that portion?  Suggested speedwork intervals?  Weight on the toes instead of the knees?  Keep the head up in aero position to minimize drag and maximize O2 intake?

I asked my infant granddaughter who was a whiz at the crawling thing, but the only advice she gave me in response was "Yummm!"

I would suggest gloves and knee pads for the crawling.

Additionally, this would seem to eliminate cartwheels across the finish line, as well as the always crowd pleasing walking handstand. I would also not suggest any type of skipping in case you are extremely happy as you go down the finish chute. This is apparently not an approved form of locomotion.
2013-06-19 6:10 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

At about a minute in you'll see how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfVP0uzb2bU

2013-06-19 6:20 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by popsracer

You're quicker on the keyboard than I am.   My immediate thought was to post that too.

2013-06-19 6:37 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by TriMyBest
Originally posted by popsracer

You're quicker on the keyboard than I am.   My immediate thought was to post that too.

Julie Moss also had a hand in making the Ironman crawl famous.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Apparently need run training guidance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running Guidance Needed

Started by datlas
Views: 1258 Posts: 16

2012-09-13 1:45 PM tripazardly

Apparently I DO need strength training...

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 937 Posts: 8

2010-10-25 1:27 PM JohnnyKay

Guidance Needed...Lost my Way...

Started by roadrunner1659
Views: 1727 Posts: 18

2009-04-08 1:48 PM juniperjen

Newbie needs guidance

Started by ifican
Views: 993 Posts: 8

2005-04-28 4:31 PM ifican

i need bike and swim guidance

Started by tac
Views: 1397 Posts: 9

2004-02-21 10:47 PM davido
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.
date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.

date : March 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?