General Discussion Race Reports! » Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by 3Sports Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by 3Sports - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 44s
Overall Rank = 123/161
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/21
Swim
  • 08m 15s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pool start with groups of 10 starting at 30 second intervals. Really crowded for most of the first 200 meters, then started to spread out a bit. Seems like quite a few people under-estimated their time (I probably should have added about 30 seconds to my estimate (did 7:45 for the 400m and came in 8:15)
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

My transitions are what I need to work on - I felt really ill-prepared going into this one. Figuring out the transition to pool with no glasses (and I can't wear contacts) is something I need to figure out, because i'm pretty much blind as a bat until I get them on...
What would you do differently?:

pace the distance from the pool exit to my bike rack instead of trying to remember since I got confused
Bike
  • 44m 11s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.83 km/hr
Comments:

nice circular route - the last mile is the same as the first mile, so you have a good idea of where you are going. race officials did a good job of monitoring traffic and the local police were great with road control

Probably could have pushed myself on the ride a bit more - having just taken a tumble during training the previous weekend, I was a bit more cautious than normal which I think hurt me. Need to work on getting into aero position a bit more - did well in the parts where I was.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

No real issues on this transition, I just need to work on timing it a bit faster - forgot which rack my bike was on which cause a bit of a delay

count back the racks from the bike ride entrace to mine, for set-up
make sure I have another pair of socks - mine were damp from the swim, and that made them bike/run uncomfortable
Run
  • 34m 10s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 55s  min/km
Comments:

run was fairly flat - the second half of the loop had a gradual incline before heading down a hill to either turn into the second loop, or head towards the finish line. Shady in a few places which was nice

needed to run a bit more before the race - my legs were basically dead from the ride. i hadn't really done a good brick workout prior to the race - but my run time was better than I was expecting
Post race
Warm down:

walking around and stretching post-race (while chowing down on some food). They also had a chiropractor set up with massage tables where you could get a 10 minute massage

What limited your ability to perform faster:

PF in my foot hampered my training in the lead-up; also didn't sleep too well the night before

Event comments:

I'll definately be heading back to do this race next year if all goes well. Was really impressed with the organization considering this was a new venue (found out after the fact)

Last updated: 2013-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:15 | 400 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/21
Overall: 122/161
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:11 | 20 kms | 26.83 km/hr
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 102/161
Wind: Some
Course: well paved, some rolling hills about mid-way
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:10 | 05 kms | 06m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 136/161
Course: 2 lap around a sports complex - first lap was a complete loop, the second you turned and ran down a hill to the finish line
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-20 8:08 AM

User image

Subject: Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by 3Sports

2013-06-21 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4781949

User image

Subject: RE: Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by 3Sports
probably shoud note...don't eat mexican the night before the race...lol!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by 3Sports Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by 3Sports

Started by enders_shadow
Views: 1803 Posts: 12

2013-06-20 10:37 AM austhokie

Started by H20man
Views: 1051 Posts: 3

2012-09-19 9:38 AM Sous

Started by RecTri
Views: 1498 Posts: 5

2012-09-19 9:33 AM Sous

Started by enders_shadow
Views: 1429 Posts: 6

2012-09-19 10:37 AM miche033

Started by pvfd304
Views: 988 Posts: 1

2012-09-16 12:21 PM pvfd304
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.