General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Lake Zurich Women’s Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Athleta Iron Girl Lake Zurich Women’s Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Zurich, Illinois
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 18s
Overall Rank = 15/325
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/39
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45a. Ate PB toast at 4a and had a banana around 5:45a. My friend picked me up at 4:30 for the drive out to Lake Zurich.
Event warmup:

We made it to the site by 5:45a. Because I didn't rack my bike on Saturday, I got the very last spot, farthest form the aisle. That's OK, though, bc I had plenty of room! Put on sunscreen and walked to the water to figure out if I should wear tinted or clear goggles (tinted it was). Then did a total walk through on the transitions. Went down to the water around 6:20a. Swam150m or so warmup. This was my first time in open water this year. I probably should have done a longer swim warmup.
Swim
  • 10m 28s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined myself up in the second row, closest to the buoy line. The horn went off and off I went! Some crowding until the first buoy. Between the first and second buoys my HR shot up pretty high. I don't normally have OWS-panic and I'm pretty calm in the washing machien that is tri swims, but something happened today. I popped my head up a few times to get some good breaths. It got under control - or more like I just forced myself to keep swimming it I knew it would go down eventually.

Pretty much hugged the buoy line on the way out, but at the turnaround I apparently took an unplanned detour bc I was off course maybe 25m or so. OOPS!
What would you do differently?:

More OWS! At this point last year, I was swimming in the lake for at least 2 weeks. It has been so cold this year. I thought I would be fine bc I don't usually have OWS issues, but not the case today: poor sighting and a HR spike
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

This was a good distance from the water, seems like a long trans, but I was 2nd in AG and 7th OA, so I think I was moving. Wetsuit peeled off very quickly and then put on helmet, bike shoes and off I went.
Bike
  • 44m 31s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.78 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike and course was pretty fun. Some rolling hills, which I don't experience too often! Major headwind on the way out. I was about 5 minutes in and I hear a high voice say "on your left" so I moved over and it was the race's youngest competitor, a 13-year-old girl. She was smokin' me! I never caught up to her.

I took in a Gu about 15 minutes in and had water at 15 mins and 30 mins.

I didn't push as much as I could have. My HR stayed in high Z3 and I should have pushed my speeds to get it up to Z4, I think. I didn't zone into my HR during this ride, at the time I just figured "this is hard!" but I didn't nail the particulars of "hard" vs "harder" vs "really hard" on the bike. I think if I paid better attention to my HR numbers I would have realized I wasn't going hard enough.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

changed shoes, grabbed visor and belt and put those on while on the run.

So my friend competing in this race has a bright pink bike. I was one rack from her, but I wasn't concentrating properly bc I just looked for the pink bike and instead of going one rack down, I went right to her bike. I quickly realized that I was in the wrong aisle, but that ate up some time.
Run
  • 22m 14s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Passed my friend right away and gave her a slap on the butt, which gave us both the laughs. My plan was just to go out hard and try to hold on. The course is on the streets in a circle around Lake Zurich (the actual lake, not the town) and has maybe three hills? One of them long, but not bad at all. First mile in 7:20 and my HR is in Z4, so perfect. Second mile got some cramping on my left side. I tried to take deep breaths and to run tall. Got Gatorade at the second aid station (about 1.5 miles in) and hoped it would prevent the cramps from getting worse. It helped - they just lingered for the rest of the run, but didn't go away. Slowed down the second mile to 7:35ish, but got back to speed for the last mile.

Probably not walk during that second aid station.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for my friend to finish and then we chowed down at the post-race expo.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Before the race my husband asked what my goal time was. I hadn't been thinking about it, bc I have never done this race before and the distances are a little off from typical sprints. So I threw out the number "1:20". It was pretty close, but those 18 seconds are really bugging me! Stuff adds up - swimming off course, not biking as hard as I could have and walking that second aid station on the run. Oh well, next time!

Event comments:

Lots of fun! Nice course and great post-race food and expo.

Last updated: 2013-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:28 | 586 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/39
Overall: 44/325
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:31 | 14 miles | 18.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/39
Overall: 33/325
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:14 | 03 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/39
Overall: 19/325
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-06-20 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: Athleta Iron Girl Lake Zurich Women’s Triathlon

2013-06-20 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4781957

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Athleta Iron Girl Lake Zurich Women’s Triathlon
Nice race!  Guess you'll have to race it again next year to shave off those 18 seconds....or more
2013-06-21 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4781957

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Athleta Iron Girl Lake Zurich Women’s Triathlon
Nice looking race.....great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Lake Zurich Women’s Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Athleta Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas Women's Triathlon

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 1264 Posts: 1

2012-05-09 1:33 AM GatorDeb

Started by CyborgQueen
Views: 1886 Posts: 10

2012-05-07 8:27 PM abake

Athleta Iron Girl Lake Tahoe South Shore Women's Triathlon

Started by newby4
Views: 1083 Posts: 2

2011-09-22 2:05 PM Cagolddigger

Started by CyborgQueen
Views: 2117 Posts: 11

2011-05-17 11:07 AM TRICLOPICUS

Started by Amrosco
Views: 1199 Posts: 2

2011-05-01 5:13 PM jpbis26
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Team BT
My first reaction to wearing a skirt while running was, “are you crazy?” I am no girly girl. I then tried one of the newest skirts from Nicole DeBoom’s TRIKS line and I can tell you I’m hooked.