General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Addicted to ultra distance endurance events? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-20 11:56 AM

New user

Subject: Addicted to ultra distance endurance events?
Ever since i started up in the athletic world about 4 years ago, ive always been fascinated and in love with ultra distance endurance events. The only problem is that ive never found out which type i would like to do. I first thought about running, but then i found the triathlon world, and thought about that, and then i started rowing, and i wanted long distance in that. I just dont know what type of ultra endurance sport i want to do, and it kills me everyday not knowing. I spend everyday researching ultras of all sports, and i just dont know which one i want to try or would really like. If it helps, I'm 6'2", 180 pounds, 11-13% bodyfat, have swam for 2 years, ran for 4, rowed for 2, and i do have an athletic build. Can someone please help me try to find out what i should pursue in the ultra endurance world?

2013-06-20 12:27 PM
in reply to: _James_Lane_

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Addicted to ultra distance endurance events?

This is kind of like someone asking what kind of beer should I drink.  I think it is as simple as the one you enjoy the most.

You need to sample the offerings yourself in order to decide.

I think one also needs to decide what it is you want out of it.  Is it the enjoyment of the daily training, is it the atmosphere and challenge of the race itself, is it which one I will potentially place the highest in?

2013-06-20 12:38 PM
in reply to: popsracer

New user

well i really just like the satisfaction i get out of training day-to-day, and always want to do the next best or in this case, longest thing.
2013-06-21 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Do them all!

I did the IM, did the 50K ski, now training for a 50 mile.

After that will look for another.
2013-06-21 1:07 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Queen BTich
Originally posted by popsracer

This is kind of like someone asking what kind of beer should I drink.  I think it is as simple as the one you enjoy the most.

You need to sample the offerings yourself in order to decide.

I think one also needs to decide what it is you want out of it.  Is it the enjoyment of the daily training, is it the atmosphere and challenge of the race itself, is it which one I will potentially place the highest in?

This.

I've 'done them all' too, but over the past 10 years (omg, can't believe that), Ive gone back to my first love: running. Sure, tri's were fun, but I get the most enjoyment out of running. Not riding my bike. So, I'm going longer with my running. I've moved from marathons to 50k's, 2 50milers and now starting to train for 100m.

Sure, it would have been neat to say I did a double IM (seriously considered it), but I would have wanted to shoot myself or burn my bike trying to log those training miles. Could I have gotten through the race having fun? Yes. The year of training? No way.

With ultra stuff, I don't think placing can be your top priority. If you're fast enough and it happens? Great! However, it's a whole different world out there with too many variables being on the courses that long.

2013-06-21 1:26 PM

User image

Plano, Tx

I've gotta be honest, this one of the more bizarre questions I've seen  

Ultra events are great, because once you're "OK" at one, you can pretty much do any of them. 

I did my first IM in 2007, First 50K in 2009, First Double Iron in Feb. 2011, First 100M Run in Oct 2011, etc etc. I can't recommend enough just finding a race and trying it. There's nothing wrong with just finding a race you're interested in and trying it. I look at the "endurance world" as just one big group. I don't split them up into running, cycling, triathlon, etc. If you plan on being competitive you'll have to choose one to focus on, but for me (and a lot of people) endurance events are more about the experience than it is the competition. 

If you're interest is based on the experience, than any type of ultra event will give you that "buzz". If you're looking to be competitive, than I'd recommend pursuing the one you're best at. (swimming or rowing)

Best of luck and enjoy the journey! 

2013-07-04 10:42 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
always a bit partial to the ultra eating events myself....
2013-07-05 5:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
I think the event will choose you. I've done ironmans and 100 milers and when I'm training for a 100 miler I love ironmans and when I'm training for ironman I love 100's. strange how that works . Honestly my love is the running and training for an ultra is way less strategic than an ironman. I also just absolutely love the folks in th ultra running world. If I had to decide for you I'd sign you up for an ultra run, but i also wouldn't want to short change from the ironman either. Narrow it down and flip a coin :-). Heck. Sign up for an ultra run in the beginning of the year and an ironman at the end :-). This is probably not sound advice

2013-07-06 1:58 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
The virginia Double and Triple Ironman will be in October!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Addicted to ultra distance endurance events? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bucket List Ultra Events

Started by yeats
Views: 2792 Posts: 19

2012-04-27 8:43 AM neweyes

Training for first Ultra/ultras

Started by Fat2FitAggie
Views: 2353 Posts: 4

2011-01-23 9:05 PM Focker

Ultra distance triathletes

Started by madcow
Views: 1893 Posts: 9

2010-03-06 11:39 PM tribullbutter

50 mile ultra

Started by trilover
Views: 2218 Posts: 7

2006-01-16 10:56 PM TH3_FRB

Ultra-running World record

Started by glf33
Views: 2740 Posts: 11

2010-02-28 8:09 AM chodgkinson1982
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : November 27, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Know that base training is not a component of training that is going to necessarily make you faster, but it will make you stronger and give you more endurance to last through the longer races.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Your training schedule should be based completely on the hours you have available to train, not necessarily on the number of hours you "need" to train.