General Discussion Triathlon Talk » You Ironmen...what kind of weekly running mileage ??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-20 8:52 PM

User image

Groton, New York
Subject: You Ironmen...what kind of weekly running mileage ???
I'm starting to rearrange my running for the week with shorter runs, but pretty much every day (that whole 3@10%, 2@20%, 1@10%). Anyway, I am curious what the total weekly running mileage those of you who are generally training or have done an Ironman are doing on average?

How about bike distances per/week on average?

Just curious what I should be looking at eventually building up to over the next couple of years.

2013-06-20 9:15 PM
in reply to: keqwow

User image

Subject: RE: You Ironmen...what kind of weekly running mileage ???

I'm training for my first IM and it really isn't "that" much different than my previous HIM training.

My HIM run training has progressed from around 28 mpw, to 30 mpw, to 32 mpw the past 3 years.  Long runs in the 12-16 range and peak weeks in the 40-44 mile range.  My general format is below.  Naturally I missed a few runs here and there as my schedule conflicted or I just needed more rest for whatever reason.

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

For my upcoming IM, I'm going to keep the same format with the goal of averaging around 38, peaking at 50, and capping long runs at around 16-18.  So just sort of sprinking in a few more miles across the board and keeping all the runs easy.  I have no doubt that my IM run pace will not be any faster than my easy run pace so I don't feel the need to do much faster tempo running unless for some reason 40ish mpw isn't causing enough training stress for me.  Highly unlikely.  I'm putting less emphasis on the long run and just trying to run more miles...focusing on minimizing the recovery costs of the long run to help with my ability to handle the overall training load on a week to week, month to month basis.

As for biking.  That's my strength and I'll also be biking on the light side.  Maybe 150ish mpw average overall, with about 7 weeks over 170 mpw.  I've got lots of experience riding over 100 miles and high volume bike training since I normally bike race exclusively over the summer.

Swimming...I just hope to swim as much as I can.  10k a week would be great considering swims are usually the first workout I cut out when time doesn't permit.  Not trying to set any speed records, but just trying to play my strengths and weaknesses to get to the finish line in one piece.

2013-06-20 9:51 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I'm on the IronFit plan for IM Louisville, and I'm in the first few weeks of Peak training. Right now, I'm hitting around 40 mpw running, and biking 110-115 mpw. This will ramp up to my long bikes of 6 hours and long runs of 3 hours, so I'm guessing I'll cap out around 200 mpw on the bike and 50 or so for running.
2013-06-20 10:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by Jason N

I'm training for my first IM and it really isn't "that" much different than my previous HIM training.

My HIM run training has progressed from around 28 mpw, to 30 mpw, to 32 mpw the past 3 years.  Long runs in the 12-16 range and peak weeks in the 40-44 mile range.  My general format is below.  Naturally I missed a few runs here and there as my schedule conflicted or I just needed more rest for whatever reason.

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

You run 6 days a week training for an IM? That's awesome (if you don't get injured)!
Most plans I see, and the one my coach built for me, have 3-4 runs per week. Which is what I'm doing again for my 3rd go-around at the IM distance. 

Edited by lisac957 2013-06-20 10:45 PM
2013-06-20 11:40 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by lisac957

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

You run 6 days a week training for an IM? That's awesome (if you don't get injured)!
Most plans I see, and the one my coach built for me, have 3-4 runs per week. Which is what I'm doing again for my 3rd go-around at the IM distance. 

Agree with this. 6 days seems a bit overkill. 2 recovery days, 1 tempo/interval day, 1 long day. Any more and I'd think the injury risk would outweigh the possible benefits. That said I know very little and am also training for my first IM
2013-06-20 11:45 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by rjrankin83

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

Agree with this. 6 days seems a bit overkill. 2 recovery days, 1 tempo/interval day, 1 long day. Any more and I'd think the injury risk would outweigh the possible benefits. That said I know very little and am also training for my first IM

Why is this a lot, or even considered overkill? What are you guys doing for the runs? I run 7 more than 6 and would have to extend out a couple of those listed to reach normal mileage. And I'm not looking at an IM. I both get hurt less and improve more with this.

2013-06-20 11:54 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Running 6 days would be awesome! But for the rest of us mere mortals... 3-4 times a week. I'm not sure how i could get 6 days of running and match that appropriately with swims and rides. Miles really depends on where I am in my plan. Peak maybe at a 6, 8, and 18 with a short brick run. Maybe 20-35 miles a week during the entire plan. Take a look at the calendars for the IM plans on BT. They are good examples for training. Four workout in each discipline plus a brick works for most people. All depends own your expectations and fitness level of course.
2013-06-20 11:58 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by brigby1

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

Why is this a lot, or even considered overkill? What are you guys doing for the runs? I run 7 more than 6 and would have to extend out a couple of those listed to reach normal mileage. And I'm not looking at an IM. I both get hurt less and improve more with this.

Maybe overkill wasn't the appropriate wording. Mileage wise 44 mpw isn't that much. Everyone's different. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Even prepping for a marathon I wouldn't run 6 days. I need the rest AND recovery. As I said 2 shorter recovery runs, 1 medium run with tempo/intervals, and 1 long run is all I anticipate doing. The 6 day plan, to me, looks like 5 recovery runs after 1 long run
2013-06-21 1:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

Running this type of mileage over 6 days a week is much less likely to cause injury than running this type of mileage over 3-4 days running a week. Most age groupers make the mistake of only running 3-4 days a week with 1 of those runs being a long run that accounts for 40-50% of their weekly volume. Since I started running 5-6 days a week I have had fewer running injuries.
2013-06-21 1:33 AM

Master
Northern IL

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

Maybe overkill wasn't the appropriate wording. Mileage wise 44 mpw isn't that much. Everyone's different. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Even prepping for a marathon I wouldn't run 6 days. I need the rest AND recovery. As I said 2 shorter recovery runs, 1 medium run with tempo/intervals, and 1 long run is all I anticipate doing. The 6 day plan, to me, looks like 5 recovery runs after 1 long run

Well, there are differences from one to the next, but there isn't a need to reinvent the wheel as there are more similarities. If you're not able to run more often due to needed rest & recovery, then would suggest that you're pushing farther than you really think you are for the runs. You should be able to do this if you can put in that mileage, and especially if it doesn't seem like that much. If there are scheduling issues, then well, you do the best you can with it. But frequency of runs should be helpful. If it's not, then it's quite likely not being done well. The size of the runs listed are bigger than what I'd call "recovery" for a lot of people on here. They're well sized for what many should be trying to get in regularly for building up conditioning and aerobic fitness. And I saw what you listed for the days before, but was curious what that meant to you (and anyone else participating) as "recovery", "medium" and "long" have had notably different meanings to many here.

2013-06-21 1:50 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by Kido

Running 6 days would be awesome! But for the rest of us mere mortals... 3-4 times a week. I'm not sure how i could get 6 days of running and match that appropriately with swims and rides. Miles really depends on where I am in my plan. Peak maybe at a 6, 8, and 18 with a short brick run. Maybe 20-35 miles a week during the entire plan. Take a look at the calendars for the IM plans on BT. They are good examples for training. Four workout in each discipline plus a brick works for most people. All depends own your expectations and fitness level of course.

This is exactly what i was going to say. As the volume of training increases I'd struggle to get 6 days running in along with bike rides and swims. I'm using the free BT plan for my 1st IM and the numer / times vary - this week is only 2 runs for total 90mins but its a bike focused week - last week was 5 runs for almost 7hrs - but again that was extreme as it was run focused week. The graph below shows teh total volume over the course of the plan.

Edited by grahamclarke_6 2013-06-21 1:53 AM

(IM Training volume.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
IM Training volume.PNG (41KB - 20 downloads)

2013-06-21 2:20 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

How many miles does your coach plan to have you run?  Your mileage goals may be better suited to 3-4 runs per week, but I don't think my running goals will fit in as nicely.  There are guys that train 50-60 mpw running for HIM and IM training.  I can tell you without a doubt they aren't doing it on 3-4 runs per week.

Different goals take different approaches.  It is entirely possible that I could get injured running that type of mileage, but it won't be because I'm running too frequently.  If I do decide to back off my mileage goals, the frequency will stay the same, but the mileage per run will drop.

2013-06-21 2:39 AM
in reply to: grahamclarke_6

User image

Originally posted by grahamclarke_6
Originally posted by Kido Running 6 days would be awesome! But for the rest of us mere mortals... 3-4 times a week. I'm not sure how i could get 6 days of running and match that appropriately with swims and rides. Miles really depends on where I am in my plan. Peak maybe at a 6, 8, and 18 with a short brick run. Maybe 20-35 miles a week during the entire plan. Take a look at the calendars for the IM plans on BT. They are good examples for training. Four workout in each discipline plus a brick works for most people. All depends own your expectations and fitness level of course.
This is exactly what i was going to say. As the volume of training increases I'd struggle to get 6 days running in along with bike rides and swims. I'm using the free BT plan for my 1st IM and the numer / times vary - this week is only 2 runs for total 90mins but its a bike focused week - last week was 5 runs for almost 7hrs - but again that was extreme as it was run focused week. The graph below shows teh total volume over the course of the plan.

I'd guess that most people who say they can't handle spreading their current run mileage over 5-7 runs a week...haven't tried it.  There are of course the people who try to move from 3-4x per week to 6x per week by adding 30% more mileage instead of spreading their current mileage out...then complain about getting injured...but that's not what we're talking about.

2013-06-21 5:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Originally posted by grahamclarke_6
Originally posted by Kido Running 6 days would be awesome! But for the rest of us mere mortals... 3-4 times a week. I'm not sure how i could get 6 days of running and match that appropriately with swims and rides. Miles really depends on where I am in my plan. Peak maybe at a 6, 8, and 18 with a short brick run. Maybe 20-35 miles a week during the entire plan. Take a look at the calendars for the IM plans on BT. They are good examples for training. Four workout in each discipline plus a brick works for most people. All depends own your expectations and fitness level of course.

I'd guess that most people who say they can't handle spreading their current run mileage over 5-7 runs a week...haven't tried it.  There are of course the people who try to move from 3-4x per week to 6x per week by adding 30% more mileage instead of spreading their current mileage out...then complain about getting injured...but that's not what we're talking about.

Completely agree here. I've been training for a half, not even a full, and I run 30 miles across six days a week at LEAST and have been for almost a year. The fitness gains and running gains are staggering, and I would easily say anyone who aspires to a half marathon distance or more should target this volume and frequency. I ramped up mileage very gradually, and in the beginning still had some soreness and cramps, but these days I get no pains at all, just a great run. I also agree with the earleir post that the risk of injury is lessened with this approach, as im living testament. I can't imagine toeing the line for an IM only running 3-4 times a week for less than 30 miles, that seems so woefully undertrained to me. I still put in a good amount of time on the bike, probably around 5 hours at peak, and until the last couple months, all high intensity, shorter (say 1 hour) workouts, but the run is majorly important. We've all read and heard about how people have a good swim, good ride and then fall apart on the run? Sure a lot of that can be attributed to nutrition mistakes, but it also comes down to running fitness! I was shocked at the number of HIM plans - and by proxy, full IM plans- that seemed to downplay the run. This seems like such a tragic mistake. To answer the OP, I'm considering a full next year, and would plan on upping to around 40 miles per week across six days, with varying workouts incorporating distance, speed and hills. People, you gotta get on the recovery run bandwagon!
2013-06-21 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by rbalazs

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

Running this type of mileage over 6 days a week is much less likely to cause injury than running this type of mileage over 3-4 days running a week. Most age groupers make the mistake of only running 3-4 days a week with 1 of those runs being a long run that accounts for 40-50% of their weekly volume. Since I started running 5-6 days a week I have had fewer running injuries.

I could see running 5 days a week. The 6th just doesn't seem necessary to me as it's been described in the example given. In the example, during peak, M-F 26 miles and long run Sunday is 16. That's roughly 40% of weekly mileage on the long run. Why not add a mile M,W,Th,F, and take Tuesday off running?

I'm not attempting to argue. Those that support the 6 day running approach are clearly seasoned athletes, just trying to educate myself. Is the 6 day approach just to build a base or do you continue it throughout training for an IM?

Edited by rjrankin83 2013-06-21 7:34 AM
2013-06-21 7:26 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
I completely understand the theory behind running 5-6 days per week, but just wonder how you fit that in?  Even the short runs - a 5 mile run takes me almost an hour - and that's not including if I want to do it anywhere beside my own neighborhood. 

2013-06-21 7:31 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Groton, New York
Well I (OP) am a long ways off from an IM, but I have been trying to increase my mileage little by little and I have been having issues with that. I was doing 3-4 runs a week and just felt like the days in between my runs allowed for my legs to stiffen up. Too much mileage in too few days. Folks suggested I didn't have a great base built up yet. So I am trying this 6 day approach. It makes sense to me. Shorter runs, spread out over more days. I am also trying to lose weight while I am doing all of this as well, and I like the idea of getting in a shorter run every day rather than a longer run on only a few days. I am also injury prone, and was finding I had issues with the 3-4 day workout, so we shall see how this works out. I am only at around 15 mpw so like I said, I am a LONG way off from an Ironman, but I was just trying to get a sense of what kind of mileage the typical Ironman is training at.

As for the bike portion, how do you folks distribute your bike workouts throughout the week? Same idea....more shorter rides, or with the bike do you actually do longer rides a few times a week. It sounds like the bike is the place to add on the mileage since it is lower impact and less chance of injury than trying to add too much mileage on for your runs.
2013-06-21 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

I could see running 5 days a week. The 6th just doesn't seem necessary to me as it's been described in the example given. In the example, during peak, M-F 26 miles and long run Sunday is 16. That's roughly 40% of weekly mileage on the long run. Why not add a mile M,W,Th,F, and take Tuesday off running?

I'm not attempting to argue. Those that support the 6 day running approach are clearly seasoned athletes, just trying to educate myself. Is the 6 day approach just to build a base or do you continue it throughout training for an IM?

Looks like the Barry P plan. Solid run plan IMO and when I used it I capped out around 30-40 mpw last year with no injuries.
2013-06-21 8:07 AM
in reply to: mehaner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mehaner I completely understand the theory behind running 5-6 days per week, but just wonder how you fit that in?  Even the short runs - a 5 mile run takes me almost an hour - and that's not including if I want to do it anywhere beside my own neighborhood. 

Well, if it takes an about hour then I see it as not really that short of a run. Most of my runs will be under an hour, currently more like say 40-45 min or so. Then some will be up around an hour or a bit over. Over time two of those will be more consistently med-longish runs, with one extending out into more typical long run distance. And I do run a LOT from right out of my house regularly.

2013-06-21 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by mehaner I completely understand the theory behind running 5-6 days per week, but just wonder how you fit that in?  Even the short runs - a 5 mile run takes me almost an hour - and that's not including if I want to do it anywhere beside my own neighborhood. 

Well, if it takes an about hour then I see it as not really that short of a run. Most of my runs will be under an hour, currently more like say 40-45 min or so. Then some will be up around an hour or a bit over. Over time two of those will be more consistently med-longish runs, with one extending out into more typical long run distance. And I do run a LOT from right out of my house regularly.

I am currently running 6-7 days a week, to train for a sprint triathlon as my A race. And I can tell you i've never been faster or had fewer injury problems. spreading 30 miles over a week looks something like this

Sun-3 miles- 25 min
Mon-10 miles-1:25
Tues-3 miles-25 min
Wed-6 miles-50 min (tempo day, about 3 miles, about 20 minutes)
Thurs-off
Fri-3 miles-25 min
Sat-6 miles-50 min (speedwork day)

As you can see I have 3 days where I run for less than a half hour, which allows me to recover from the longer days, and still get in a significant bike workout, plus a day off to recover as well. This is basically following the BarryP plan, which I have been following since November. It can be very frustrating at first. I started with my short days being only 15 minutes and less than 2 miles, but over time I have realized that this is by far the best way I have ever trained.
2013-06-21 8:15 AM

Master
Northern IL

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

I could see running 5 days a week. The 6th just doesn't seem necessary to me as it's been described in the example given. In the example, during peak, M-F 26 miles and long run Sunday is 16. That's roughly 40% of weekly mileage on the long run. Why not add a mile M,W,Th,F, and take Tuesday off running? I'm not attempting to argue. Those that support the 6 day running approach are clearly seasoned athletes, just trying to educate myself. Is the 6 day approach just to build a base or do you continue it throughout training for an IM?

All those "short" runs are not really recovery runs. They're building up your conditioning and fitness, and doing so in more manageable doses. A "recovery" run is more of a good sized warm-up that might be extended just a touch. Many of the runs Jason listed may seem "short" in distance at first, but at mostly 4-6 miles they'll take many here 40, 50, 60 minutes or even a bit more. That's a decent workout, more than a recovery.

2013-06-21 8:19 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by mehaner

I completely understand the theory behind running 5-6 days per week, but just wonder how you fit that in?  Even the short runs - a 5 mile run takes me almost an hour - and that's not including if I want to do it anywhere beside my own neighborhood.

When I was running 7x/week, here was my typical schedule:

Monday - 40 minutes
Tuesday - 45 minutes
Wednesday - 40 minutes
Thursday - 50 minutes
Friday - 40 minutes
Saturday - 45 minutes
Sunday - 75-90 minutes

If I was training for IM, I would stretch out the long run (in the specific prep) to 2:00-2:15 and try to keep the other runs as is. However, even if you were doing 40 minutes twice a week and 20 minutes three times a week in addition to a long run, it is still more that 50 a couple times a week plus the long run.

I would follow a BarryP type approach based on your current volume if you are interested in increasing frequency.

Shane
2013-06-21 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

All those "short" runs are not really recovery runs. They're building up your conditioning and fitness, and doing so in more manageable doses. A "recovery" run is more of a good sized warm-up that might be extended just a touch. Many of the runs Jason listed may seem "short" in distance at first, but at mostly 4-6 miles they'll take many here 40, 50, 60 minutes or even a bit more. That's a decent workout, more than a recovery.

Agreed; easy doesn't mean recovery run. Very few AG triathletes have the fitness to benefit from a recovery run but can benefit with frequent easy running.

Shane
2013-06-21 8:30 AM
in reply to: keqwow

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Run -- 25 to 35 per week, 3-5 sessions on average.

Bike -- 175 to 200 miles per week, 6-7 sessions on average.

It's worth noting that my weekly run mileage when training for my last IM was lower than what I would do on a typical week training for shorter tris and run-specific events. Some tempo work was included, but no track or interval work and my long run peaked at 15 miles -- no point beating my legs up before the race. But, I'm an experienced runner and marathoner, so your needs may be different.

Ken

2013-06-21 9:50 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

M - 3-4
T - 4-5
W - 5-6
Th - 4-5
F - 5-6
Sa - Off (long ride)
Su - 12-16

How many miles does your coach plan to have you run?  Your mileage goals may be better suited to 3-4 runs per week, but I don't think my running goals will fit in as nicely.  There are guys that train 50-60 mpw running for HIM and IM training.  I can tell you without a doubt they aren't doing it on 3-4 runs per week.

Different goals take different approaches.  It is entirely possible that I could get injured running that type of mileage, but it won't be because I'm running too frequently.  If I do decide to back off my mileage goals, the frequency will stay the same, but the mileage per run will drop.

Well my plan is by TIME not distance. Typical weeks right now are:

45 min
40 min
45 min
2 hour

Or

50 min
30 min (as brick off the bike)
45 min
2 hr 15 min

I am also susceptible to injury and my past injuries (foot "strains", ITB, shin splints) tell me that 6 days a week is too much for me - even when Ultra training I capped it at 5 days - and still got injured. I would love it if I could work up to 6 some day. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » You Ironmen...what kind of weekly running mileage ??? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Bike/Run Frequency vs Duration- same total weekly mileage

Started by wbattaile
Views: 1831 Posts: 11

2012-01-22 1:25 PM wbattaile

Weekly Run Mileage Question

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 885 Posts: 7

2011-10-26 11:19 AM DiOnMaui

Maximum Weekly Run Mileage Pages: 1 2

Started by mbmoran2
Views: 2621 Posts: 27

2008-09-06 7:56 PM Pollywog

Longest weekly run / total weekly mileage percentage

Started by KenD
Views: 1632 Posts: 8

2008-08-15 12:18 PM Scout7

weekly mileage for the run

Started by aims
Views: 649 Posts: 2

2004-06-30 2:58 PM cdf26.2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : June 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
Now that I've alleviated the pain and injury, do you think it would be okay to start running on the street/sidewalk/hills again?
date : April 12, 2007
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Warmup tips. Swim, bike and run pacing and heart-rate zones to be in by mileage.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
It's extremely frustrating and I even get in a bad mood when I run. I think I might have increased my mileage too fast. I have a hard time catching my breath now too, even at short distances.
date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.

author : AskMrsBT
"On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"