General Discussion Race Reports! » CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Charleston, South Carolina
United States
Charleston Triathlon Club
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 3s
Overall Rank = 61/112
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Up early for a quick shower, got dressed and had a cup of coffee. It has been harder and harder for me to eat anything before races, and today, I could not stomach anything but a banana. Next race, I plan to make oatmeal because I feel like I need something more substantial.

The kids came with us, which was awesome, but put us a little behind schedule. It was already light as we were driving, and that really felt very late to me. I was feeling a little stressed about that, but we were still plenty early to get checked in and marked. I racked my bike in row 17 or something - the first time I have ever been that far toward the back, closest to the entrance to T1.

Walked around a bit and it was already time to get started!
Swim
  • 11m 52s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is my favorite part these days, and I wasn't feeling nervous at all, really. I still put myself far out to the left to get started and took my time so that there wouldn't be too much pushing or bumping into people.

The first part of the swim was into the sun, and I did notice that I got a little off track (wide out to the left) because I was not sighting very well. Still, I felt strong and things went fine until the last leg of the swim. Right near the final buoy, someone in my wave but coming from behind started swimming onto my legs and hips. Every stroke it just felt like she was swimming with part of her body on my legs. I tried to keep my kick to a minimum, because I didn't want to accidentally kick her in the upper body, but it was a very strange thing - she was stuck to me like glue. Like she was trying to push me out of the way. I held my line and kept swimming harder, especially because she was pushing me toward a stopped swimmer from the previous wave who was treading water. The aggravating thing for me was that I was unable to outswim her forward, and she was unable to overtake me - so we were just swimming along with her pushing on my lower body for ... what felt like minutes (prob. around 1 minute at the most though). Unfortunately, all this put me straight on track for that stopped swimmer, and I decided that if I couldn't push this lady out of my way, I was going to have to go around the stopped swimmer on the left. I swam wide around, gave it my all and finished strong, but kind of mad about the whole thing.
What would you do differently?:

Definitely get some tinted goggles for sunny days. Talk to somebody about strategy for protecting my space and holding my line.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

I shaved a bit of time off of t1, so I am happy about that.
Bike
  • 41m 6s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I rode well and pretty hard, but I got passed by many fit ladies out there. Right in the beginning, I was passed by someone in my AG, and I thought I would try to keep her in my sights - no dice. I felt again - like last time - that good strong feeling in the last 3 miles. Maybe I need a long time to warm up, or maybe I don't work hard enough throughout. Also, I didn't have any soreness or leg fatigue that I noticed even though I rode my longest ride the day before.

This is the leg I need to work on most!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Almost ran off without eating the nutrition I had brought along, but remembered it just in time.
Run
  • 29m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty decent on this run. I did take water at each water stop, a few sips, just because it was sunny though not terribly hot, but I had already noticed that I had been sweating kind of a lot today. Around mile 1.5, I felt like I was keeping a decent pace, so I decided not to try for anything but maintaining that pace. I know the last .5 mile is a drag with the out and back in the sun. Once I got there, I was really feeling like today's race had been a good one and just don't screw it up now. The last mile of this race was a 7.5 or 8 on an effort - I really was pushing, but I wasn't hurting, if you know what I mean.

Good run, not too much different, just work on fitness so that I get back to below 28.
Post race
Warm down:

When I finished and my daughter asked me how I did, I told her that if that race wasn't a PR, I'm never doing one of these sprints again. So, I definitely felt like it was the hardest and best I had ever done. It was a PR, just by a little bit.

Walked around, had some gatorade and water, then took off for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bike fitness, no doubt!

Event comments:

Great race, well organized - nice atmosphere and friendly people. I really enjoy this series.

Last updated: 2013-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:52 | 600 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/112
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangular, clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:06 | 12 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:17 | 03.11 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops, lots of shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-21 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2

2013-06-21 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4783160

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2
Great race and congrats on the PR!
2013-06-21 2:16 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Very nice job! That whole swim thing would have driven me nuts. I would have started kicking pretty good. Pretty sure she would have re-directed herself.
2013-06-21 10:32 PM

User image

New user
Always fun to read race reports from the group. Keep training hard and I am sure you are quickly on your way to more PRs
2013-06-22 10:52 AM

User image

New user
Thanks for sharing your race report! It gets me very excited (and nervous) for my next Tri. I wish we could train together, as we could compliment each other well....I help you train for bike, you help me train for swim!
Good Job!
2013-06-22 11:50 AM
in reply to: themomma03

User image

Veteran
Thanks guys!!

And absolutely, Denise, we would be the perfect training partners!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #5: Series Championship

Started by melanfi
Views: 1256 Posts: 1

2011-08-17 10:16 AM melanfi

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #5: Series Championship

Started by Wesley12
Views: 1085 Posts: 1

2011-08-14 9:10 PM Wesley12

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by kwc98
Views: 1507 Posts: 1

2010-05-25 5:57 AM kwc98

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by b2673ad
Views: 2054 Posts: 4

2010-06-01 11:23 AM drphungky

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

Started by redpony
Views: 1385 Posts: 1

2006-08-12 7:19 PM redpony
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.