General Discussion Triathlon Talk » All swim training in open water? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-22 11:58 AM

Subject: All swim training in open water?
I just moved back to Sweden for the summer and as the public pool is very expensive and has strange opening hours, I was thinking about just doing all my swim training in the lake 5 minutes from where I live. It has a small beach, beautiful clear and calm water, and 4 buoys in a straight line of about 150m, giving me a nice lap of 300m (or shorter if I wish to turn around at an earlier buoy).

Do any of you guys do all your or the majority of your swim training in open water? I am aware of all the safety aspects, but I am wondering if with respect to the actual swim workout, drill sets, intervals, focus on technique etc. there are any differences I should pay attention to compared to swimming in a pool? Did you feel like you can improve your swim even better because it comes closer to the race environment? I will try to balance wetsuit and non-wetsuit sessions, or would it be bad to train exlusively with a wetsuit for two months? I am using the wetsuit mainly against the cold water, not as a crutch. My 1000m TT is at a 1:40/100m pace.

Cheers,
Max

2013-06-22 1:12 PM
in reply to: Tysk-Ironwill

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: All swim training in open water?
9 months/year all my swim is OW. I find it's harder for me to make myself do drills in OW but that's a personal discipline issue. I just want to swim in the big open. I don't see why one can't get as good or better training in OW than pool.
2013-06-22 1:54 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I do 100% of my swimming in the San Francisco Bay. I don't do intervals but with the currents, tides and wind there is always a challenging direction, then turn around and get a recovery direction.

Couple years ago I just couldnt deal with swimming in crowded pools anymore the weird hours, folks having no respect for other peoples workout(water walkers in the fast lane, people not letting others pass etc) and the expensive swim pass were just too much.

FWIW I have done 2 IM's, 1 was all pool swimming, the other all ocean: 1:20 and 1:19 respectively. I worked harder in the pool but enjoy the ocean far more and dont get burnt out, which leads me to swim more.
2013-06-22 8:24 PM
in reply to: Tysk-Ironwill

User image

As soon as I can I go to open water and train only there. I wear a suit until is gets warm.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » All swim training in open water? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Open water swim and training plans

Started by mikep
Views: 995 Posts: 9

2008-02-10 12:32 AM VinemanCalifornia

Pool Training Tips for Open Water Swim?

Started by octrojan
Views: 1092 Posts: 8

2007-12-17 10:24 PM octrojan

Training for an Open Water Swim Start

Started by sulis
Views: 1264 Posts: 11

2006-05-19 5:39 AM ezl

Open water swim training

Started by jnmrz
Views: 986 Posts: 5

2006-02-10 4:59 PM jnmrz

First real open water training swim.

Started by madcow
Views: 789 Posts: 8

2004-09-12 12:51 PM Bigpikle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 28, 2008
author : Lagoon
Celebrating a milestone 60th birthday with a Sprint triathlon. I followed the training program conscientiously with one exception--I never got around to practicing an open water swim.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.