General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 IMs within 5 weeks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-23 9:18 PM

User image

New user

Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: 2 IMs within 5 weeks?
I'm planning 2014 and am wondering if I'm being too ambitious. I'd like to do IM Boulder in August (friends and family there), then do HyVee Triathlon (Olympic distance) approximately 4 weeks later, THEN try IM Wisconsin a week after HyVee (even more friends and family in Wisconsin).

These would be my first full IMs. I've already done one HIM (Kansas) and plan on doing another this August (Steelhead).

I'm wondering if I'm attempting too much in too short of a time frame. Am I underestimating the wear and tear and not allowing myself enough recovery time?

If it's helpful, I'm 41, and along with HIM Kansas I've done 3 sprints and 1 Oly.

2013-06-23 10:14 PM
in reply to: JWskiman

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: 2 IMs within 5 weeks?
Hard to give an exact answer without seeing your training, but I'd say that is very ambitious. I didn't have the reserves to do anything long, like more than an hour long, for a while after my first IM last November. I wouldn't underestimate what an IM takes out of you. You'll likely come out of it, after some rest, with increased fitness, but three races in that time frame is a lot.
2013-06-24 1:07 AM

User image

Regular
I would say it was do-able. I would suggest you change your wording though, instead of TRYING IM Wisconsin, DO IM Wisconsin.
Your goal will require a lot of positive thinking.
As has already been said, the felling of tiredness after an Ironman is hard to explain. A week or maybe two weeks after you think your fine, so you head out on a long ride, an hour later your struggling to make your way home again because your exhusted.
It's strange.
That said, if you can put the hours in to your training then there is no reason why not, many pro's do it in shorter time frames.
2013-06-24 4:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

I have friends who have done IM's on consecutive weekends ... so it is possible ... but it is hard and you need to go into it with a big chunk of base fitness.

If you want to do it ... go for it ... don't let other set your own limits

2013-06-24 5:39 AM
in reply to: WildWill

User image

carlsbad
WOW, the recovery from a full distance is insane compared to the shorter stuff. It's not the muscle that needs time to recover. It's the supporting cast. I would guess the people that do them close together have many years of doing this distance. don't want to be a dream killer but you gotta respect this distance big time
2013-06-24 9:57 AM
in reply to: Maxwelltri

User image

New user

Des Moines, Iowa
Originally posted by Maxwelltri

I would say it was do-able. I would suggest you change your wording though, instead of TRYING IM Wisconsin, DO IM Wisconsin.
Your goal will require a lot of positive thinking.
As has already been said, the felling of tiredness after an Ironman is hard to explain. A week or maybe two weeks after you think your fine, so you head out on a long ride, an hour later your struggling to make your way home again because your exhusted.
It's strange.
That said, if you can put the hours in to your training then there is no reason why not, many pro's do it in shorter time frames.

I realized that typo and forgot to change it - yes, I will DO IM Wisconsin - not try! I'm confident (not cocky) from a mental standpoint. My concern is the recovery period. I absolutely respect the distance, and your words of caution are much appreciated.

2013-06-24 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
As others have said, recovery from a full is MUCH more than recovery from a half. It feels like total cardio exhaustion. You think you're fine because your legs have healed and have a lot of pop in them. But then you try a training day and you just want to sit under a tree and nap after an hour. For me it takes about 4 weeks to recover enough to get back into it, and I've learned to just accept this.

BUT, I think it also depends on how hard you go during an IM. I had one IM where I had the stomach flu the day before the race, so on race day I went very very easy. Recovery was much faster from that IM. So, you could always do Boulder very easy to save yourself for IM Moo.

Good luck whatever you do!
2013-06-24 11:38 AM
in reply to: rockymtnhigh

User image

Expert
IMO - too ambitious for your first IM. I too think that people that do them close together would probably have a lot of years experiance. A friend did IMCanada last year and IM Hawaii 6 weeks later, she though that they were too close togetehr and IMC was her 4th IM distance race (1x LP, 1xmontreal esprit, 2xIMC).

It took me a solid 5 weeks to recover from IMWI last year. Then I got a cold, and then I got pregnant. I've had exactly 1 run in the last 9ish months that has felt strong. IMWI was my second ironman.

biking and running took a long time to feel good (cardio wise, not muscle wise) after IM, swimming came back a bit quicker.
2013-06-24 12:42 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by JWskiman I'm planning 2014 and am wondering if I'm being too ambitious. I'd like to do IM Boulder in August (friends and family there), then do HyVee Triathlon (Olympic distance) approximately 4 weeks later, THEN try IM Wisconsin a week after HyVee (even more friends and family in Wisconsin). These would be my first full IMs. I've already done one HIM (Kansas) and plan on doing another this August (Steelhead). I'm wondering if I'm attempting too much in too short of a time frame. Am I underestimating the wear and tear and not allowing myself enough recovery time? If it's helpful, I'm 41, and along with HIM Kansas I've done 3 sprints and 1 Oly.

Why are you inserting an Oly into your recovery period?

2013-06-24 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
just as a reference, after my IM, I felt kinda ok, but then I sort of snow balled into a long recovery period of like 2 months at least.

I don't think I would've been able to do another IM for a number of months, probably at least 4 months...or more.

Although I've contemplated IM's within 2 months of each other, I don't know if I would recover from the initial IM and be ready to do other that soon.

In my experience, IM is NOT twice the recovery of a HIM, it's a lot more.

I have felt pretty good after a week from a HIM, and back to training, but IM ....different story.

That's me, and you're you...You have to find out for yourself how you tolerate an IM.

Since it's your first one, I'd err on the side of conservative..
2013-06-24 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
As others have stated, the recovery from a full is hard to articulate. I plan on doing two fulls five weeks apart next year but those will be IM #'s 6 & 7 for me. My recovery is much easier now. Recovery was tough for the first couple I did. No way I could've done another five weeks later. The mental recovery is arguably more difficult than the physical.Do your first and see how it shakes out. You may not want to do another one five weeks later... or ever.

2013-06-24 6:37 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
I did 3 IMs last year, and will do 3 again this year. I race LP then WI 5 weeks later.
I know my body; I know my recovery and have done a few IMs. I am not sure if I would set myself up and do 2 IM's for the first time so close together. I am all for pushing the envelope, but only now that I know my body.
I remember after my first IM I wondered "How do those people do more than one a year" well I have become one of those people, doing multiple in a year.

My recovery is like this in the days after IM I swim and bike easy and do long walks. Week 2 add running back in the mix. Week 3 back at it normal. I will say training for multiple IM' s is way easier than just training for one.

I would not put an OLY in the mix between two IM, especially if it is your first IM. You could set yourself up for injury.

2013-06-24 10:18 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
No problem, lots of people have done more in less time. Next year I'll do IMTX then go to Hawaii on vacation come back and do Coeur d'Alene. If I could swing the missed time I'd do Louisville the following month.
2013-06-24 10:47 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

carlsbad
OMG, and the pros who do IM a couple weeks apart have spent YEARS building into the distance in the first place. I don't even know what to do with that comment.
2013-06-25 9:01 AM
in reply to: ridingsdc

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I failed to mention those will be IMs #9 & 10 for me. I know what I'm doing and ill be able to train while I'm on vacation in Hawaii. Maybe that'll help you figure out what to do with my previous comment
2013-06-25 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by papson14 I failed to mention those will be IMs #9 & 10 for me. I know what I'm doing and ill be able to train while I'm on vacation in Hawaii. Maybe that'll help you figure out what to do with my previous comment

This is just my 2 cents but I think the previous poster wasn't expressing concern over your specific situation as far as number of IM attempts in a short time period.  My impression was that it was that it was in response to the statement "No problem, lots of people have done more in less time".  The OP stated that he has done 3 sprints, an Oly and one HIM.  Clearly his experience level is not as high as yours, so while it may be "no problem" for you, for him it may be quite a challenge and one that some (most?) coaches may not advise.  I'm not sure where we would find a source for stats, but I doubt that there are "lots" of people that have done more in less time.  Sure, there are people (pros and AG'ers) out there that have tackled 2 or more IM in a short time period...I did IM Canada and IM WI just 2 weeks apart in 2010.  But as a percentage of the IM competitors out there, I highly doubt that there are "lots" of people that have tackled multiple IM in a short time period.  The monetary commitment alone keeps most people from attempting it.  Good luck with your races!!! 

Edited by Birkierunner 2013-06-25 10:33 AM

2013-06-25 11:08 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Actually, every year on this site, this same question is asked a few times. Each time a handful of people say they've done x amounts of IMs in a short period of time. Conservatively, I'll say 3 questions a year with 5 responders. 15 people, multiply that by the 7 years I've been here and that is quite a few. Expound that to the thousands that are not BTers and I still think lots have done it . Now ask those people if they look back on it fondly and they'll probably say bad idea, but I still stand by my "lots" comment
2013-06-25 4:09 PM
in reply to: papson14

New user
Originally posted by papson14

I failed to mention those will be IMs #9 & 10 for me. I know what I'm doing and ill be able to train while I'm on vacation in Hawaii. Maybe that'll help you figure out what to do with my previous comment

day-um, that is awesome. Good luck to you and have fun.

#ironwallet
2013-06-25 8:00 PM
in reply to: BigDLobo

User image

Regular
Akron
I think it's def doable, but be prepared to be destroyed! lol. I wanted to do this last year, but 2 with in 7 weeks. I'm glad I didn't. I started training again 2 weeks later and felt burned out as soon as I got a couple hours on the bike. I couldn't complete my work outs. Thank goodness I didn't sign up for the 2nd full. I couldn't wait to just relax after being a work horse for so long! I ended up doing a half instead of the full and did pretty good, but I really needed a break...BIG TIME! Do I think I could have completed a full again? Yes, but the time prob would have been slower and I needed to heal anyhow!. Good luck if you do. errrffff! lol
2013-06-25 10:22 PM

User image

Canyon, Texas
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by JWskiman I'm planning 2014 and am wondering if I'm being too ambitious. I'd like to do IM Boulder in August (friends and family there), then do HyVee Triathlon (Olympic distance) approximately 4 weeks later, THEN try IM Wisconsin a week after HyVee (even more friends and family in Wisconsin). These would be my first full IMs. I've already done one HIM (Kansas) and plan on doing another this August (Steelhead). I'm wondering if I'm attempting too much in too short of a time frame. Am I underestimating the wear and tear and not allowing myself enough recovery time? If it's helpful, I'm 41, and along with HIM Kansas I've done 3 sprints and 1 Oly.

Why are you inserting an Oly into your recovery period?

I agree. Ditch the Oly and concentrate on the IM's.

With a 5:43 HIM, I'd say you could do it! I did the Marathons of Texas this year... three marathons all 6 weeks apart. I realize an IM is an incredible step up but I'd say it's doable. Expect pain. Lots of pain. Good luck and crush it!

Edited by tlancer23 2013-06-25 10:27 PM
2013-07-02 9:33 PM

User image

carlsbad
yeah, you just proved my point. You've already finished 8 IM's.

Edited by ridingsdc 2013-07-02 9:35 PM

2013-07-11 12:20 PM

User image

New user

Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks for the feedback everyone. All the opinions are definitely appreciated (one of the reasons I love this site). I greatly appreciate the 'can-do' approach that many are offering, but the majority saying 'yeah you could, BUUUUUT...' is trumping my ambition.

I'll just stick with IMWI - I figure it'll be easier to train for and work into a schedule with some HIMs spread out in late spring/mid summer. My understanding is that the HIM in Boulder will be moved back to June, so that's an option to do some elevation competition.

For those who asked, I really REALLY want to keep the Oly on the schedule even if it's only a week out from IMWI because it's a local event for me, and I want to support as many local events as I can, especially one that is done as well as HyVee.

Thanks again to everyone's feedback. See you out there - be safe!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 IMs within 5 weeks? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Asian IMs (?)

Started by swiss tri
Views: 1006 Posts: 3

2010-07-10 2:14 AM TriAya

Why do IMs sell out so fast?

Started by Silver_wlf
Views: 2034 Posts: 20

2009-09-25 5:17 PM mr2tony

1st year of full IMs - two too much?

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 1685 Posts: 24

2009-08-28 3:51 PM McFuzz

IMs in Australia

Started by swiss tri
Views: 1133 Posts: 12

2008-09-01 3:19 PM swiss tri

`REAL' IMs ... Pages: 1 2

Started by mr2tony
Views: 2474 Posts: 31

2007-10-18 7:22 AM Jackemy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : October 26, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : October 24, 2005
The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. The maximum volume is around 7 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.
date : May 9, 2005
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.

date : May 9, 2005
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.