General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To those using a CPAP - Noticing energy improvement? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-24 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: To those using a CPAP - Noticing energy improvement?

Long story short I now wear/use a CPAP device. 

I'm still acclimating to wearing it so it's too early for me to make judgements, I'm just curious as to what others' experience is with CPAP and energy levels.  Primarily, have you found since you began using the CPAP your workouts have improved?  If so, how? 

I know several people who wear them but they aren't into fitness so while I understand their comments about sleeping better and that they notice the difference when they don't wear it, I can't really derive anything regarding a positive impact on workouts..

Thanks.

2013-06-24 7:07 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: RE: To those using a CPAP - Noticing energy improvement?
Ive been wearing one for just over a year. While I can't say that I noticed a dramatic improvement right away, I do find Im a little less sleep during the day. When I notice the difference the most is if I dont wear it for a night or two. My throat is sore and Im noticabley more tired.
2013-06-24 7:38 AM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I've had one for 3 years or so. Probably should have had one my whole life. I do notice it when I don't have it. No more 'hangover' feeling when waking up, which is nice. Feel good in the AM when I do have it thought. Sleep better no doubt about it.
2013-06-24 7:39 AM

Ardmore
I've been using a CPAP since I was 21, now 38, and I notice a difference when using for the night or not. Not sure sure where you fall with your apnea, low - severe. I have severe apnea and experience approximately 73 interruptions an hour without the machine and about half when using the machine.

I notice a big difference with energy and drive between using the CPAP and not. I think the major factor is simply getting the appropriate sleep, allowing your body to rest properly, therefore helping with workouts.

Clearly I'm not a Dr but for me, using the machine has helped with the energy/drive to work out and get appropriate sleep. Well, close to the appropriate amount of sleep.

junr
2013-06-24 7:49 AM
in reply to: junr

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by junr I've been using a CPAP since I was 21, now 38, and I notice a difference when using for the night or not. Not sure sure where you fall with your apnea, low - severe. I have severe apnea and experience approximately 73 interruptions an hour without the machine and about half when using the machine. I notice a big difference with energy and drive between using the CPAP and not. I think the major factor is simply getting the appropriate sleep, allowing your body to rest properly, therefore helping with workouts. Clearly I'm not a Dr but for me, using the machine has helped with the energy/drive to work out and get appropriate sleep. Well, close to the appropriate amount of sleep. junr

I don't believe I'm in the severe category, I had 35+ interruptions per hour and 15-17 instances of stopping breathing... Not that I think stopping breathing isn't severe, I just know that people with severe sleep apnea stop breathing even more than that!!

I've had to resort to a sleep aid (temporarily is the plan) to even fall asleep with the mask on.  I have one that covers the nose and is "one of the best and most successful on the market" per the company my insurance company directed me to. 

Once I better understood the toll that sleep apnea has on the heart I was all in.... The part about improved workouts and more energy for them is actually a by-product I'm hoping to achieve..

Thanks

2013-06-24 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by junr I've been using a CPAP since I was 21, now 38, and I notice a difference when using for the night or not. Not sure sure where you fall with your apnea, low - severe. I have severe apnea and experience approximately 73 interruptions an hour without the machine and about half when using the machine. I notice a big difference with energy and drive between using the CPAP and not. I think the major factor is simply getting the appropriate sleep, allowing your body to rest properly, therefore helping with workouts. Clearly I'm not a Dr but for me, using the machine has helped with the energy/drive to work out and get appropriate sleep. Well, close to the appropriate amount of sleep. junr

I don't believe I'm in the severe category, I had 35+ interruptions per hour and 15-17 instances of stopping breathing... Not that I think stopping breathing isn't severe, I just know that people with severe sleep apnea stop breathing even more than that!!

I've had to resort to a sleep aid (temporarily is the plan) to even fall asleep with the mask on.  I have one that covers the nose and is "one of the best and most successful on the market" per the company my insurance company directed me to. 

Once I better understood the toll that sleep apnea has on the heart I was all in.... The part about improved workouts and more energy for them is actually a by-product I'm hoping to achieve..

Thanks

Thats about the number I was at. Not sure if you wake up alot at night or not, but I noticed the amount I was waking up during the night really went down to almost zero.

2013-06-24 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Thanks

Thats about the number I was at. Not sure if you wake up alot at night or not, but I noticed the amount I was waking up during the night really went down to almost zero.

I'm so new with the mask I really don't know what normal is yet...That and I'm using a sleep aid to even fall asleep so once I wean from that I'll have a clearer picture....

Pre-CPAP I took forever to fall asleep but "thought" I slept sound all night... However my wife said my breathing scared her it was so labored (not to mention snoring like a bear)...  After the sleep study results indicated the interruptions and instances of actually stopping breathing, I'm really glad I'm using a CPAP..

2013-06-24 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Thanks

I'm so new with the mask I really don't know what normal is yet...That and I'm using a sleep aid to even fall asleep so once I wean from that I'll have a clearer picture....

Pre-CPAP I took forever to fall asleep but "thought" I slept sound all night... However my wife said my breathing scared her it was so labored (not to mention snoring like a bear)...  After the sleep study results indicated the interruptions and instances of actually stopping breathing, I'm really glad I'm using a CPAP..

Were you snoring with the CPAP, because that doesn't sound right. I snored pretty bad before and now not a peep. What type of mask are you using, I tired a few but found the one that just sits over the nose to be the most comfortable. It deffinitly takes a bit of getting used to breath with it on, but now I don't even notice it.
2013-06-24 9:15 AM

Ardmore
Initially I used to remove the mask when sleeping but within three weeks, it became part of the normal process for bed time. Now, I put the mask on and I'm asleep within two minutes, if that.

As for masks, the one I have currently works best for me. It's the nasal pillow inserts. It's simply two pieces, like the oxygen you get at the hospital only lager, inserted into the nostrils. I used to have the larger one that covered the entire nose but noticed when I moved, air would tend to come out of the sides and wake me up. It happened often, even after adjusting the head gear tighter.

I was shocked as well as to the impact apnea has on the body, but after reading about it and the body a little, it makes sense it has such a huge (negative) impact and I'm glad to have the CPAP.

I was thinking about the surgery to remove the 'skin' in the back of the throat but I'm staying away from that for now.

junr
2013-06-24 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Thanks

Were you snoring with the CPAP, because that doesn't sound right. I snored pretty bad before and now not a peep. What type of mask are you using, I tired a few but found the one that just sits over the nose to be the most comfortable. It deffinitly takes a bit of getting used to breath with it on, but now I don't even notice it.

No snoring with the CPAP, it was prior to getting it that I apparently was very loud....My wife says either I'm laboring so hard to breathe that she thought I'd have a heart attack OR I'd snore extremely loud and also have a heart attack..

My mask is the nose kind and I'm finally starting to relax with it....The challenge for me is keeping my mouth closed and breathing nasally...I have a deviated septum so nose breathing has always been a little challenging for me...However I'm starting to learn that that was probably more mental as I'm constantly "practicing" nose-only breathing while awake and I can do it..

2013-06-24 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by junr Initially I used to remove the mask when sleeping but within three weeks, it became part of the normal process for bed time. Now, I put the mask on and I'm asleep within two minutes, if that. As for masks, the one I have currently works best for me. It's the nasal pillow inserts. It's simply two pieces, like the oxygen you get at the hospital only lager, inserted into the nostrils. I used to have the larger one that covered the entire nose but noticed when I moved, air would tend to come out of the sides and wake me up. It happened often, even after adjusting the head gear tighter. I was shocked as well as to the impact apnea has on the body, but after reading about it and the body a little, it makes sense it has such a huge (negative) impact and I'm glad to have the CPAP. I was thinking about the surgery to remove the 'skin' in the back of the throat but I'm staying away from that for now. junr

I wish I could have brought home two masks and then select the one that works best.  The company I'm working with allows one "free" exchange within 30 days of my initial mask pickup.  I've heard of the nasal pillow mask and honestly it sounds more comfortable than the full nose gear... My machine has a humidifier and I swear between the humidity in the air and the humidifier on the machine that the moisture in the nose thing is what causes my nose to itch during the night... And there's no easy way to itch your nose through the mask!!

2013-06-24 9:46 AM

Ardmore

I wish I could have brought home two masks and then select the one that works best.  The company I'm working with allows one "free" exchange within 30 days of my initial mask pickup.  I've heard of the nasal pillow mask and honestly it sounds more comfortable than the full nose gear... My machine has a humidifier and I swear between the humidity in the air and the humidifier on the machine that the moisture in the nose thing is what causes my nose to itch during the night... And there's no easy way to itch your nose through the mask!!

I don't use the humidifier, never have. Tried it a few times but just couldn't get used to it. Ah, the deviated septum, that's another thread...
I "had" one as well. I say had, as I went in to have the septum fixed along with the adenoids as they were too large as well. I was able to breath better than ever for about 2 months, then it was just as bad as before. I'd stay away from getting the deviated septum fixed. The Dr who performed the procedure was even covered in several magazines and TV news shows for his ability to 'fix' things. This was a long time ago, so maybe things are better now.

Itching with the mask on...if you figure that one out, let me know. Nothing worse than taking the mask off when the air is at full pressure and to have to put it back on and adjust to the volume of air coming in.

junr
2013-06-24 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by junr

I don't use the humidifier, never have. Tried it a few times but just couldn't get used to it. Ah, the deviated septum, that's another thread... I "had" one as well. I say had, as I went in to have the septum fixed along with the adenoids as they were too large as well. I was able to breath better than ever for about 2 months, then it was just as bad as before. I'd stay away from getting the deviated septum fixed. The Dr who performed the procedure was even covered in several magazines and TV news shows for his ability to 'fix' things. This was a long time ago, so maybe things are better now. Itching with the mask on...if you figure that one out, let me know. Nothing worse than taking the mask off when the air is at full pressure and to have to put it back on and adjust to the volume of air coming in. junr

My brother in-law had his septum "fixed" and that was enough to keep me from going in.... Not to say that there hasn't been improvement in the process as his was quite a few years ago too, however I just don't want to go there...

When I get an itch I can't leave alone I actually unplug the air hose then release one of the "holders" at the bottom of the mask to take it off enough to scratch.... Then it's put the mask back on, re-attach the hose and try and pick up where I left off...

None of it is smooth or quiet and when you're trying to fall asleep or were sleeping it's a PITA to say the least...

2013-06-24 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I've slept with a CPAP for the last 7 or 8 years.  I can't even go one night without it without being completely miserable and barely able to function the next day.  I've always used the nose pillow mask, and don't have any problems with it except when it's starting to wear out, and air leaks around the edges.  That's how I know it's time to replace it.

2013-06-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by TriMyBest

I've slept with a CPAP for the last 7 or 8 years.  I can't even go one night without it without being completely miserable and barely able to function the next day.  I've always used the nose pillow mask, and don't have any problems with it except when it's starting to wear out, and air leaks around the edges.  That's how I know it's time to replace it.

That's the consensus I'm finding, both here on BT and through people I work with, family members etc.  By that I mean it's more noticeable when a night is missed than the "up" feeling of having worn it...

And I'm ok with that, I just wondered if people noticed a tangible training improvement as a result of the much higher quality sleep.

I didn't start wearing it for triathlon, it would just be a positive by-product..

2013-06-24 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
I've been using CPAP for about 3 years...
I have a mask that covers both nose and mouth as I could not keep my mouth closed with the nose only mask.
Within six months you won't even notice the mask.

Since I started the CPAP I've lost 35+ lbs, and started Triathalon...
On my 49th Birthday I was 250lbs, on my 50th birthday I was 200lbs and did a HIM on my birthday...
For my 51st (This September) I plan on running a full Marathon with the goal of a full IM next year.

I think the CPAP had a lot to do with turning my fitness life around.

2013-06-24 1:34 PM
in reply to: pbreed

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by pbreed I've been using CPAP for about 3 years... I have a mask that covers both nose and mouth as I could not keep my mouth closed with the nose only mask. Within six months you won't even notice the mask. Since I started the CPAP I've lost 35+ lbs, and started Triathalon... On my 49th Birthday I was 250lbs, on my 50th birthday I was 200lbs and did a HIM on my birthday... For my 51st (This September) I plan on running a full Marathon with the goal of a full IM next year. I think the CPAP had a lot to do with turning my fitness life around.

I would classify myself as a mouth breather so when I had to go back for my sleep titration to monitor my sleep with a CPAP I tried the nose/mouth mask and struggled terribly...While conceptually I felt better knowing I could breathe through my nose OR mouth, the claustrophic feeling of all that over my face was more than I could take...

In this thread as well as talking to others I know, I'm wondering about the nose pillow mask as an option for me.... Not that I'm not gong to eventually settle in with the nose mask, it's just difficult to address an itch, and I've noticed a few times when I try to sleep on my side I slightly dislodge the mask and start to hear the air leakage..

Anyway, good stuff, congratulations on all you accomplishments..

2013-06-24 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm a nose breather so it wasn't that hard to get used to breathing with it on. I tried the nose pillow inserts and felt pretty claustrophobic with them on, like it was hard to inhale fully, which seems odd since there s positive pressure. I do sometimes get air leaking around the sides, but not too often. I usually have the humidifier turned off until late fall when I can feel my sinuses getting dry in the morning, then ill usually add some distilled water and turn it on low.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To those using a CPAP - Noticing energy improvement? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone give up Splenda and noticed recovery improvement? Pages: 1 2

Started by noelle1230
Views: 2762 Posts: 28

2012-07-18 1:42 PM djrigby9

Power Improvement vs. Speed Improvement

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1048 Posts: 7

2010-08-12 3:57 PM docswim24

Question for Coaches (and those using or considering using a coach)

Started by jsnowash
Views: 1889 Posts: 21

2009-09-09 10:33 AM tkd.teacher

Anyone used/using the "Be Ironfit" plan for 05/06

Started by LSD
Views: 1310 Posts: 4

2006-07-31 2:20 PM LSD

So I noticed something about this site

Started by ChrisAndNat
Views: 937 Posts: 12

2004-07-20 4:18 PM kimj81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on swim drills and improvement, kicking in a wetsuit, swimming backwards and ankle flexibility, hand entry, the pull, hip rotation and using paddles and pull buoys.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.