Front Runner
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 04m 21s
Overall Rank = 82/105
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 30/35
Pre-race routine:

Drive to the race with a girlfriend. It was pretty far and we stopped at Holiday to use the bathroom, so we got there only about 20 mins before the start. Picked up packet, etc, and then went to the car to get our gear on. They suggested bringing a bottle, so I wore my old fuel belt. I realized one of the two bungees is wornout, I think it's time for a new one. I also would prefer the upgraded bottle holders.
Event warmup:

No additional warmup, this was going to be a stretch for me as is.
Run
  • 2h 04m 21s
  • 10 miles
  • 12m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out okay with a thick crowd helping hold back the pace. It was very humid and buggy, but ok if we kept moving. Right away our pace was over 11 min/mile for the first mile, so I knew my estimate of 1:50 was going to be way off. As the hills got worse and worse, I really ran out of steam. Hills are definitely not my thing! I have short legs, so trying to "power walk" up them is a disaster and I am even more winded. Around mile 6 I let my friend drift ahead of me. She had been running a lot more, and was far better on hills. I couldn't keep up and didn't want to drag her down. She ended up finishing 8 mins ahead of me, so I am glad it worked out. Shortly after that I found a gal who was about my pace. We got through the worst of it together. The last few miles were much more tame and we made up some time by jogging through the grass. Finally we saw the downhill and stretch to the finish. Sadly, the 10 mile marker came up well before the finish line and we hit that just a min over 2 hours. I slogged out the rest to finish. That was very hard, wow.
What would you do differently?:

The only way to do this right is have more distance (I hadn't been running as much due to vacations, etc) and hill training. I think even if I was better trained for 10 miles, I just don't have the hill experience and it would have still really sucked.
Post race
Event comments:

Another Front Runner (aka Randy) event. Guess what? They had run out of Heed and gels at the rest stop for miles 6/7 (shared) by the time I got there. At least they had water, but SERIOUSLY? They also really screwed up the t-shirts, which is funny since we did pick our size when registering. I got one size up and my friend chose to wait for them to send one to her. They have a huge stack of XLs. Why would they think that was necessary for a long distance trail race!?! The crowd was VERY small on average.

The location was lovely, but there were too many mistakes as usual.

Last updated: 2012-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:21 | 10 miles | 12m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/105
Performance: Below average
Course: On the trails at William O'Brien state park. The first 3 were a loop by the lake, not too difficult with only one or two hills. Very pretty. Then we headed into the hilly part, with a mix of grassy field and tree-covered rocky paths. They were pretty wide and the footing wasn't too bad. The middle miles were particularly difficult with big long inclines and declines.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-06-24 8:12 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: William O’Brien 10 Miler
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » William O’Brien 10 Miler Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Perfect 10 - 10 Miler

Started by Queen K
Views: 1130 Posts: 1

2012-04-27 1:56 PM Queen K

Perfect 10 - 10 Miler

Started by javibeve
Views: 936 Posts: 1

2011-10-03 3:53 PM javibeve

William O'Brien 10 miler

Started by silentcs42
Views: 714 Posts: 1

2011-06-27 8:30 AM silentcs42

25th Annual Broad Street 10 miler

Started by jmc1888
Views: 1047 Posts: 1

2004-06-11 11:44 AM jmc1888

Frostbite 10 miler

Started by jaitermom
Views: 1587 Posts: 1

2004-01-25 10:37 AM jaitermom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.