General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GI issues using gels and gatorade Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2013-06-24 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Subject: GI issues using gels and gatorade
I have on and off used hammer gels and some gatorade drinks while doing events. Not using anything I have no issues, in races I have I get the "girgle" that starts almost right away after the race and then feel like I need to sit on the toilet for the next day. This last race I drank maybe about 20 oz of the G2 "fit" series (low calorie) gatorade on the bike and then about 1 mile in the run I opened and took a small amount of raspberry hammer gel in and sure enough, the same thing. So.......Is there any other alternatives/other brands to look at or are we talking just some trial and error until I find something that works? I rarely if ever eat sugar so maybe it's my body reacting to "ANY" type of sugar in my system that it's not used to. The gel has maltodextrin as the first ingredient. Woul something more natural maybe with honey be a better choice? I have no issues with some experimenting but don't want to aimlessly go out and start buying everything if someone has had a similar issue and found something that works. At least it would be a starting point.

2013-06-24 9:56 AM
in reply to: lakelandsledder

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: GI issues using gels and gatorade
This is one of those things that basically ends up "try stuff until you find something that works"

How do you handle solids? A lot of people have success just drinking water and getting their nutrition from chomps/bars/realfood
2013-06-24 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Check out CarboPro, works great. I'm a convert.
2013-06-24 10:17 AM

User image

x2 for trying different products. But whatever you try, try it on your long ride or run, not at your race. Burning any type of calories during long, strenuous effort can take some getting used to.
2013-06-24 10:17 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

This is one of those things that basically ends up "try stuff until you find something that works"

How do you handle solids? A lot of people have success just drinking water and getting their nutrition from chomps/bars/realfood

Haven't tried solids yet but not a bad idea. I make a protein bar with oatflour, protein whey, almonds, peanut butter, almond milk that tastes great! I could always use some honey in place of the xylitol and stevia and see how that goes!
2013-06-24 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
I don't eat much sugar either.  I could never tolerate gels.  Solids never work for me either.  I've stuck to strictly G2 for shorter distances and CarboPro for longer distances and that has worked for my very sensitive tummy.

2013-06-24 11:00 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Originally posted by noelle1230

I don't eat much sugar either.  I could never tolerate gels.  Solids never work for me either.  I've stuck to strictly G2 for shorter distances and CarboPro for longer distances and that has worked for my very sensitive tummy.

Might have to give the carbopro a try!

Thinking of brainstorming on some type of solid bar that I can make.

2013-06-24 11:28 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Just FYI, CarboPro is maltodextrin. Can be bought much cheaper without the brand name if you want to use it.
2013-06-24 11:34 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
I had the same issue with the Powerbar gels. I switch to GU and the GU gummies and they work like a charm...
2013-06-24 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Just FYI, CarboPro is maltodextrin. Can be bought much cheaper without the brand name if you want to use it.

Thanks......guess I may keep looking then. Can't remember who (maybe Dave Scott?) who said Dextrose is what you want, not sucrose or similar.
2013-06-24 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
The only gels my sensitve tummy can handle while running are gus, and I have tried everything. I have better luck with gummies, I can handle cliff shots, gu chomps, sharkies, sports beans. For drinks - both Gatorade and eload work for me. You have to try a bunch of different stuff and see what works for you. Also, what works on the bike, might not work on the run - I can handle hammer gels on the bike, but not on the run.

2013-06-24 12:38 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by lakelandsledder

Thanks......guess I may keep looking then. Can't remember who (maybe Dave Scott?) who said Dextrose is what you want, not sucrose or similar.

You want carbs. Pick a type/source that agrees with you well enough. A mixture is often considered best for absorbtion/digestion, though fructose is most often related to GI issues (thus why some people who have problems with pre-mixed Gatorade are fine with powder-mixed). It does not sound like your issues are being driven by fructose, though that would be the first source I would look to cut as you test things.
2013-06-24 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota

You want carbs. Pick a type/source that agrees with you well enough. A mixture is often considered best for absorbtion/digestion, though fructose is most often related to GI issues (thus why some people who have problems with pre-mixed Gatorade are fine with powder-mixed). It does not sound like your issues are being driven by fructose, though that would be the first source I would look to cut as you test things.

It may just be the gel. What I may do is pick up some powdered gatorade and try that by itself to see if I have an issue first. If I do then I can move on to the next.
2013-06-24 1:39 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

It may just be the gel. What I may do is pick up some powdered gatorade and try that by itself to see if I have an issue first. If I do then I can move on to the next.

Possible. I would think the amount is small but, since Hammer uses real fruit, you probably are getting some fructose in the mix. Trying something that is plain malto might be worthwhile, as well. Good luck.
2013-06-24 2:35 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

What did you, do you, take with gels, water or G?

As was stated you should try some other brands.  My wife and I both I found Hammer to be the best for us.

2013-06-24 2:49 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Originally posted by Donto

As was stated you should try some other brands.  My wife and I both I found Hammer to be the best for us.

Drank about 20oz of 20 oz of the G2 "fit" series (low calorie) gatorade on the bike then about 1 mile into the run I had just a little bit of the hammer Gel. I'll see if I can find out what was in the G2.

2013-06-24 9:37 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Drank about 20oz of 20 oz of the G2 "fit" series (low calorie) gatorade on the bike then about 1 mile into the run I had just a little bit of the hammer Gel. I'll see if I can find out what was in the G2.
20oz over how long of a period of time?

A gel needs to be taken with water, ~6-8 oz otherwise bad things will happened.  Taking a gel with some G in you stomach will likely lead to GI issues.  The Hammer Nutrition Handbook on page 110 talks about simple carb (sugar) consumption issues.

2013-06-25 7:55 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I can't use Gatorade in any form... makes me throw up... same thing goes for anything with artificial sweeteners...

You basically need to test out different things and find something that works for you. Personally, Nuun is the only one that works well for me, plus I love tha fact that it's super portable (a couple of tablets in a small zip lock and just pop them into the water). In terms of gel, GU works really well for me. Find a gel that works for you and a flavor you can stand even when you're completely exhausted.
2013-06-25 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Try UCAN. http://www.generationucan.com/home.html

It is a slow burning complex carb drink. Worth a shot.

2013-06-25 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Interesting- I use the powdered gatorade and go with a more dilute mix than directed. It works great for me. I don't like the pre-mixed at all though- it makes me sick. The powdered is way more convenient as well. They sell a massive tub of it at Costco.
2013-06-25 9:27 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
The opinions on this will be endless. Bottom line for me is all gels need to be diluted with water or drink plain water right after consuming the gel. I use Hammer gels diluted in a flask.

2013-06-25 10:24 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota

20oz over how long of a period of time?

A gel needs to be taken with water, ~6-8 oz otherwise bad things will happened.  Taking a gel with some G in you stomach will likely lead to GI issues.  The Hammer Nutrition Handbook on page 110 talks about simple carb (sugar) consumption issues.

Drank the 20oz on the bike over a 45 min period. The gel is the little packet you rip the top off and suck on. As others said, I think I will not consume both so I can see which one has the bad effcts than try a few brands to see which is the best.
2013-06-26 2:06 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

X2 on the UCAN.

For me it's a type AND quantity issue.  I did my last Ironman at about 150-175 cals/hr.  More than that and I get a personal tour of every porta potty on the course.

So I stick to really gentle stuff like UCAN, sharkies, and bonk breaker bars...and keep the quantity LOW.

Too much food will shut down your digestive system and lead to GI issues just as much as "the wrong kind of sugar" will.

2013-06-26 11:45 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

I've started using Island Boost (www.islandboost.com). It's coconut water based, gluten free, vegan, and non-GMO (if any of those are important to you). No GI issues and I don't feel bad about taking it in! Honey Stingers (www.honeystinger.com) have been another good alternative for me. Good luck finding what works for you!
2013-06-26 2:35 PM
in reply to: handerson2005

Master
Memphis, TN
I get a bad GI reaction if I use a gel with Maltodextrin in it. Try to find one that is as natrual as those things can get within reason.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GI issues using gels and gatorade Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

GI issues with Gatorade?

Started by dmbfan4life20
Views: 1034 Posts: 7

2011-08-23 9:09 AM Tom Demerly.

accelerade and GI issues

Started by jw115
Views: 1315 Posts: 4

2009-05-31 5:31 PM trishie

G.I. issues and Ironman

Started by Mark34
Views: 1168 Posts: 8

2008-11-06 1:16 PM Offthegrid

Upper GI Issues on the Bike

Started by UT_Triathlete
Views: 815 Posts: 6

2007-05-15 10:41 AM UT_Triathlete

GI issues Pages: 1 2

Started by immyfish
Views: 2079 Posts: 30

2006-05-09 10:25 PM jldicarlo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
An estimated 30 to 50% of distance runners experience exercise-related intestinal problems, with women experiencing more problems than do men. Learn how to minimize them in this article.

date : June 22, 2009
author : mrakes1
The race didn't really wear me out but it felt like my body was bonking. Do I really need Gatorade or some other sports drink after a race?
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.

date : November 17, 2008
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : October 7, 2008
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.

date : October 2, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on Total Immersion swimming, strength training, road bike or triathlon bike, stationary biking for Ironman training, heat and GI issues and doing a HIM before a first IM.
date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.