United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 37s
Overall Rank = 256/1287
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 16/110
Pre-race routine:

Nothing really, just sat around stretching for 90 minutes waiting for my wave (12th wave) to go.
Swim
  • 23m 4s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

Really good swim for me. If it wasn't for going a little astray, it would have been perfect. It was crowded due to the time trial start, but not too bad. Under the bridge I lost site of the buoys and started toward the finish line, only to be redirected by the kayaker. I lost 30 seconds to a minute.
What would you do differently?:

Better sighting.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

I put my shoes on before running to the mount line. I really don't see a time savings running barefoot and then trying to mount the bike on the fly. Any time savings will only be eaten up trying to get my shoes on, and that's just wasted energy to me.

Nothing really, it's a fair run from the water to the transition area and then to the bike mount. I think I lost two minutes to Cameron Dye and Andy Potts there, but once my swim, bike and run get a little closer to their times, I'll focus on what works for me now! ;)

Bike
  • 1h 15m 23s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.89 km/hr
Comments:

I should have had more to drink and eat on the bike. I hit a pothole on my second loop and lost a bottle, the only bottle with drink in it. That said, the bike was good for me, but I think I suffered a little on the run because I didn't take enough gel and water on the bike.

Eat and drink a little more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I racked my bike on one side but had to run around to get my run gear on the other. That cost me a few seconds. I also forgot my race belt the night before so I ended up pinning my number on a t-shirt that I had to throw on. That cost a few more. Funny thing was, I pinned it on the wrong side and started running only to realize that I was wearing my shirt on backward. It was the shirt they gave us, so I got a few stares from people and a few comments. Good thing I don't take myself too seriously, nobody else does!

Rack my bike in the proper direction and bring my race belt.
Run
  • 49m 7s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 59s  min/km
Comments:

This run, while flat, is very hot. It was getting pretty humid. I never really hit a stride but was able to muscle may way through a respectable run. It was an improvement of 4 minutes over last year.

If I had drank and ate more I feel like I could have pushed much harder.
Post race
Warm down:

just walked around for a while then left for home. I got up at 3:30am to get to this race, so I just wanted to get home and shower and nap. Later in the day I went and had a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I am slow! Aside from that, not much. I am pretty happy as this is a PR for the distance and the course.

Event comments:

I liked the race but a) it's expensive and b) the finishers medal could have been nicer. It was smaller and cheaper looking then the last two years and since the price went up, I expected better

Last updated: 2013-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:04 | 1500 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/110
Overall: 206/1287
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: downstream on the Schuykill river
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:23 | 40 kms | 31.89 km/hr
Overall: 335/1287
Wind: Some
Course: The course was two loops around the Kelly Drive, Falls River bridge, Art Museum and MLK Blvd. No real difficult hills but the course is slightly technical with a fair amount of cornering and only a few good stretches to get some speed up. That said, I killed it compared to the last two years. Took 15 minutes off of last years time (which was a bad race for me) and 9 minutes of the year before.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:07 | 10 kms | 04m 59s  min/km
Overall: 309/1287
Performance: Average
Course: Two out and backs, on different sides of the transition area. One out and back going north of the transition area of 3.1 miles and another going south 3.1 miles. Flat, covered by shade for the first 3.1, in the sun for the second 3.1
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %3.5
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-24 1:55 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: Tri Rock Philly
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Rock Philly Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PHILADELPHIA TRIATHLON - Give it the Ol' Philly Tri

Started by Rencor
Views: 1309 Posts: 1

2006-07-30 3:26 PM Rencor

Give it the ol' Philly Tri

Started by konichiwa
Views: 1559 Posts: 5

2005-08-03 9:53 PM konichiwa

Give it the Ol' Philly Tri

Started by weds19
Views: 1097 Posts: 9

2005-08-02 2:38 PM konichiwa

Philly Tri

Started by Lt_Dallas
Views: 3062 Posts: 5

2005-06-28 8:22 AM lifeisgood

Philly Tri

Started by akabak
Views: 1715 Posts: 12

2005-06-29 1:44 PM akabak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.