Other Resources The Political Joe » 100 Million for President's Vacation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-27 10:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: 100 Million for President's Vacation?

Saw this on FB today.  Had to laugh a bit... (love the golf cart and clubs)

Edited by TriRSquared 2013-06-27 10:55 AM

2013-07-01 1:38 PM
in reply to: TriRSquared

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
so my wife is in Simons Town South Africa this week, and next, for vacation with a friend. i was talking to her yesterday and she was telling me how she ran into the Obamas at Boulders Beach - a park that is home to a rare colony of african penguins. my wife and her girlfriend were there cruising along and they got notification from the staff that everyone had to leave the park for a private tour for Michelle Obama and her two girls. they were pi$$ed! she said the convoy of vehicles and personnel was crazy.

the wife and her friend went to lunch right after that and had a window seat a little restaurant and later saw the whole presidential envoy drive down the main road in town as they left the penguin place. she said she was shocked how many vehicles were with them and that every one of them had Washington DC plates on them.

i can't believe they flew all those vehicles over there too!?!?! later that day Obamas took Marine1 from Cape Town to Robbin Island to visit Mandela's prison cell.

I thought the $100million numbers that have been thrown around were exaggerated, but now.....holy crap.....how can any government official justify that kind of expense for what equates to basically a vacation?
2013-07-01 3:53 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

New user
Originally posted by antlimon166

so my wife is in Simons Town South Africa this week, and next, for vacation with a friend. i was talking to her yesterday and she was telling me how she ran into the Obamas at Boulders Beach - a park that is home to a rare colony of african penguins. my wife and her girlfriend were there cruising along and they got notification from the staff that everyone had to leave the park for a private tour for Michelle Obama and her two girls. they were pi$$ed! she said the convoy of vehicles and personnel was crazy.

the wife and her friend went to lunch right after that and had a window seat a little restaurant and later saw the whole presidential envoy drive down the main road in town as they left the penguin place. she said she was shocked how many vehicles were with them and that every one of them had Washington DC plates on them.

i can't believe they flew all those vehicles over there too!?!?! later that day Obamas took Marine1 from Cape Town to Robbin Island to visit Mandela's prison cell.

I thought the $100million numbers that have been thrown around were exaggerated, but now.....holy crap.....how can any government official justify that kind of expense for what equates to basically a vacation?

Its easy to justify when its someone else's money.
2013-07-01 6:25 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert

Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by antlimon166 so my wife is in Simons Town South Africa this week, and next, for vacation with a friend. i was talking to her yesterday and she was telling me how she ran into the Obamas at Boulders Beach - a park that is home to a rare colony of african penguins. my wife and her girlfriend were there cruising along and they got notification from the staff that everyone had to leave the park for a private tour for Michelle Obama and her two girls. they were pi$$ed! she said the convoy of vehicles and personnel was crazy. the wife and her friend went to lunch right after that and had a window seat a little restaurant and later saw the whole presidential envoy drive down the main road in town as they left the penguin place. she said she was shocked how many vehicles were with them and that every one of them had Washington DC plates on them. i can't believe they flew all those vehicles over there too!?!?! later that day Obamas took Marine1 from Cape Town to Robbin Island to visit Mandela's prison cell. I thought the $100million numbers that have been thrown around were exaggerated, but now.....holy crap.....how can any government official justify that kind of expense for what equates to basically a vacation?

I know right????

It's so ridiculous for the first African American US president to make a diplomatic (vacation) trip to Africa, inconvenience some tourists, and not take advantage of the great pricing of Cape Town's Budget Car Rental.

2013-07-03 8:57 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

Yeah, that darn Obama wasting my tax money!! I see George Bush now showed up in Africa for this "vacation", probably to pick up Obama's slack. Even though Bush probably could get secret service protection and limo rides I'm sure he just rented a car and is packing his own heat for protection and not wasting my tax money.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-02/obama-to-join-with-politic...
2013-07-03 9:08 AM
in reply to: burhed

User image

Pro
$16bn in public and private investment for power. That Bloomberg article has a quote from the head of GE Africa after their roundtable meeting. Bet he's happy, especially once they start awarding contracts. I wonder what other American corporations were at that roundtable? If the majority of that financing (paid back with interest) goes to US corporations, that $100mm was a decent investment.

2013-07-03 11:31 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

$16bn in public and private investment for power. That Bloomberg article has a quote from the head of GE Africa after their roundtable meeting. Bet he's happy, especially once they start awarding contracts. I wonder what other American corporations were at that roundtable? If the majority of that financing (paid back with interest) goes to US corporations, that $100mm was a decent investment.

Wait, that goes against OP topic that this is just a vacation, so it can't be true. And did you hear Obama cancelled fireworks at all the military bases just to pay for this vacation? I read it on a meme on Facebook so it has to be true.
2013-07-03 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly $16bn in public and private investment for power. That Bloomberg article has a quote from the head of GE Africa after their roundtable meeting. Bet he's happy, especially once they start awarding contracts. I wonder what other American corporations were at that roundtable? If the majority of that financing (paid back with interest) goes to US corporations, that $100mm was a decent investment.

Unfortunately a lot of that money was promised by Obama out of the taxpayer funded Export Import Bank which hasn't always seen good return on investments. Solyndra anyone?

If investment in a power grid in Africa is such a big winner why hasn't the private sector already done it? Even the EXIM Bank's website admits they provide loans on risky endeavors that the private sector has decided is not a good investment.

So that 100m trip good be a decent investment or it could be the first in a string of bad investments that benefit hand picked otherwise failing companies and in the end the taxpayer's take another bath.  

2013-07-03 12:48 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly $16bn in public and private investment for power. That Bloomberg article has a quote from the head of GE Africa after their roundtable meeting. Bet he's happy, especially once they start awarding contracts. I wonder what other American corporations were at that roundtable? If the majority of that financing (paid back with interest) goes to US corporations, that $100mm was a decent investment.

Unfortunately a lot of that money was promised by Obama out of the taxpayer funded Export Import Bank which hasn't always seen good return on investments. Solyndra anyone?

If investment in a power grid in Africa is such a big winner why hasn't the private sector already done it? Even the EXIM Bank's website admits they provide loans on risky endeavors that the private sector has decided is not a good investment.

So that 100m trip good be a decent investment or it could be the first in a string of bad investments that benefit hand picked otherwise failing companies and in the end the taxpayer's take another bath.  

When you mention Solyndra, why not mention Tesla, which paid of their loans 9 years early? Or that the stimulus program had an 88.5% success rate (companies still in business after 5years) as compared to the average startup success rate of 70%?

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-07-03 12:49 PM
2013-07-03 12:55 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Maybe if we did not know everywhere the POTUS was going and doing, then we would not need to spend so much to protect him. I blame the media!
2013-07-03 1:19 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by jford2309 Maybe if we did not know everywhere the POTUS was going and doing, then we would not need to spend so much to protect him. I blame the media!

The terrorists will still know he is coming when they scour the streets and can't find an available hooker for the entire week before his visit.

2013-07-03 1:42 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by antlimon166

you do realize why it is necessary to bring your own vehicles right? its this crazy word, i know its a bit long, S_E_C_U_R_I_T_Y

all of this anti-obama BS makes me laugh. 100m is .0000000714% of the national deficit. I know it sounds like a really large number....but it isn't.

this all sounds like the tea party crap. no more taxes for anyone. government isn't allowed to spend money at all. but i still want my healthcare, high fructose corn syrup, and my roads paved.
2013-07-04 9:43 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by jford2309 Maybe if we did not know everywhere the POTUS was going and doing, then we would not need to spend so much to protect him. I blame the media!

The terrorists will still know he is coming when they scour the streets and can't find an available hooker for the entire week before his visit.

what a zinger!!!

2013-07-05 2:42 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Elite

Originally posted by dmiller5  you do realize why it is necessary to bring your own vehicles right? its this crazy word, i know its a bit long, S_E_C_U_R_I_T_Y all of this anti-obama BS makes me laugh. 100m is .0000000714% of the national deficit. I know it sounds like a really large number....but it isn't. this all sounds like the tea party crap. no more taxes for anyone. government isn't allowed to spend money at all. but i still want my healthcare, high fructose corn syrup, and my roads paved.

Ya, you know what is a really large number... the national debt. And do you know how it got there... by politicians using 100 million like it was toilet paper. When you are going broke, expenditures start getting looked at. I'm not sure why, it's just something I have noticed.

1. I'm not the TEA party... but even I know their platform is not "no" taxes... their platform is Taxed Enough ALREADY.

2. I'm pretty sure the TEA party does not want healthcare from taxes.

3. If you care to question what they are, or are not doing, then do that.... but just coming in hurling smears without any back up and complaining because it sounds like a smear... well I have somebody I would like to introduce you to... meet Kettle.

2013-07-05 8:45 AM

New user
Originally posted by KateTri1

Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by antlimon166 so my wife is in Simons Town South Africa this week, and next, for vacation with a friend. i was talking to her yesterday and she was telling me how she ran into the Obamas at Boulders Beach - a park that is home to a rare colony of african penguins. my wife and her girlfriend were there cruising along and they got notification from the staff that everyone had to leave the park for a private tour for Michelle Obama and her two girls. they were pi$$ed! she said the convoy of vehicles and personnel was crazy. the wife and her friend went to lunch right after that and had a window seat a little restaurant and later saw the whole presidential envoy drive down the main road in town as they left the penguin place. she said she was shocked how many vehicles were with them and that every one of them had Washington DC plates on them. i can't believe they flew all those vehicles over there too!?!?! later that day Obamas took Marine1 from Cape Town to Robbin Island to visit Mandela's prison cell. I thought the $100million numbers that have been thrown around were exaggerated, but now.....holy crap.....how can any government official justify that kind of expense for what equates to basically a vacation?

I know right????

It's so ridiculous for the first African American US president to make a diplomatic (vacation) trip to Africa, inconvenience some tourists, and not take advantage of the great pricing of Cape Town's Budget Car Rental.

What does the "first African American" have to do with this or anything?
2013-07-05 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

I know right????

I know my reply was a bit snarky, sorry but, why wouldn't it be significant?

Edited by KateTri1 2013-07-05 10:00 AM

2013-07-05 10:04 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

I know right????

What does Obama being part black have anything to do with a trip to Africa? He's there on a diplomatic mission, just like every other white president that has gone over there, including George W who was there at the same time.

And if by vacation you mean doing the country's business, then Yes, every time he gets on Air Force 1 it's a vacation.
2013-07-05 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Marvarnett
Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

I know right????

What does Obama being part black have anything to do with a trip to Africa? He's there on a diplomatic mission, just like every other white president that has gone over there, including George W who was there at the same time. And if by vacation you mean doing the country's business, then Yes, every time he gets on Air Force 1 it's a vacation.

Yes, i can get that kind of argument. But personally, I think the fact that his father is from Kenya, and in light of our country's civil rights movement over the past 50+ years and the civil rights movement of a country like South Africa, does make his diplomatic trip to Africa seem a bit more special. Call me crazy. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-07-05 10:21 AM
2013-07-05 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by Marvarnett
Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

I know right????

What does Obama being part black have anything to do with a trip to Africa? He's there on a diplomatic mission, just like every other white president that has gone over there, including George W who was there at the same time. And if by vacation you mean doing the country's business, then Yes, every time he gets on Air Force 1 it's a vacation.

Yes, i can get that kind of argument. But personally, I think the fact that his father is from Kenya, and in light of our country's civil rights movement over the past 50+ years and the civil rights movement of a country like South Africa, does make his diplomatic trip to Africa seem a bit more special. Call me crazy. 

When JFK was elected, the fact that he was the first POTUS of Irish descent was not a small thing. This is no different. He has a familial tie to Africa, which no other American president (or even European president, unless I'm forgetting someone) has ever had, which is probably not a small thing to the people there.

I don't get the thing where we have to pretend that everyone's completely homogenous or act as though people's ethnic or cultural differences don't exist. There's a difference between noting that the President is black and of African descent and attaching significance to it and making some kind of judgement about him based on his ancestry or his color.
2013-07-05 2:51 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro

I'm surprised the press hasn't come out and said he was creating jobs by making the trip.  Laughing 

P.S. - I don't car eif the President takes a vacation.....and I'm sure wherever he goes it costs a fortune for security.

2013-07-08 4:03 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

I'm surprised the press hasn't come out and said he was creating jobs by making the trip.  Laughing 

P.S. - I don't car eif the President takes a vacation.....and I'm sure wherever he goes it costs a fortune for security.

I was in DC a couple years ago, and was eating at Capitol City Brewing on a Sunday night when the Pres went somewhere.  Even a short 12 block trip took a full police escort and motorcade.

It's expensive to safely move the most powerful man in the world around, even in his home city.  Thank John Hinkley.

2013-07-10 3:44 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Veteran
St. Paul
How much would we have to pay to keep him on vacation until the next election?
2013-07-14 7:51 PM
in reply to: Nathanm74

User image

Probably $1Biden
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 100 Million for President's Vacation? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Verizon giving millions of U.S. phone records to feds Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by DanielG
Views: 9293 Posts: 138

2013-06-24 6:38 AM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 2
Less drag than frame bottles