General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fernandina Beach, Florida
United States
DRC Sports
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 12m 37s
Overall Rank = 17/155
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 515 and had a clif bar and cup of coffee for breakfast. Already had my rack on the car so racked mine and my dads bikes. I live 3 miles from the start so he met me at my house around 615 and we headed to the race.
Event warmup:

Splashed around in the warm water a little. Didn't really warm up other than a little light stretching.
Swim
  • 22m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started the "special" categories 3 minutes behind the women and 6 minutes behind the men. I've debated coming out of clyde, although I clearly earn it, and doing age group for this reason. Half way to the first turn buoy I caught a large pack of the women. Shortly after the first turn and I was passing the BOP men. By the second turn I was with the MOP men. All things considered I had a strong swim but had nobody to draft off.
What would you do differently?:

I went out to the first buoy hard then coasted on long strokes the rest of the way. The water was much clearer than normal which made getting into packs not such a big deal. Normally can't see people until you're running into them. Had a good swim and did the time I expected
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Would like transitions to be under a minute. Took a sec to take a jab at a buddy doing the sprint that came into transition with me.

I guess just move a little quicker. Not really disappointed with this T1 time
Bike
  • 1h 05m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I was happy with my time. I was hoping for 22mph and accomplished that. Seeing as I was 51st overall in the bike this is still obviously a major training point for me but still I'm making progress

Have bigger leg muscles
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Got to dismount behind a sprint participant who took his time getting into T2. The official literally had to remind him there were other people behind him. No a huge deal but slowed me a bit getting into transition. Ran past my rack even though I marked it with a red shoelace. I'm convinced I'll miss my rack at least once a race. Socks and shoes on, took a caffeinated gel, and I was out.

Move quicker. I really want to go under a minute a transition and felt like I somehow wasted 30 seconds here.
Run
  • 42m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a good run. Wanted to go at a 6:45 pace but after doing 6:43 my first mile knew that was wishful thinking. Backed off to 6:55 and held pretty steady. Water is usually provided every mile. This time it was at 1.25,3,and 4.75 so there was a lot less that I had anticipated. I can only take small amounts when running so ideally would have liked a couple more if for nothing else than to dump on my head.

Nothing really. Felt I ran a pretty strong 10k after my bike. Continuing to get stronger and setting PR's
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of stretching while waiting for my dad to finish

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing that training won't fix. Still have a long way to go before reaching my full potential

Event comments:

DRC did a good job again. The only reason I say not enough drink stations is because in July and August they'll need more. Just way too hot then. Post race activities weren't bad but come on no Bold City beer?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:08 | 1640 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 4/155
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: .3 out turn south at a buoy, .3 down the beach with a light current, .3 back to the beach
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:27 | 24.85 miles | 22.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 51/155
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back I ride pretty much daily. 4 round abouts with traffic each way totaling 8. Police did an awesome job with traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:42:38 | 06.21 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 16/155
Course: Shaded out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-24 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jacksonville Triathlon Series Sprint #3

Started by ropkins
Views: 1055 Posts: 1

2007-08-13 11:46 AM ropkins

Jacksonville Triathlon Series Sprint #3

Started by papson14
Views: 1164 Posts: 1

2007-08-13 9:22 AM papson14

Jacksonville Triathlon Series #3

Started by snikpos
Views: 1003 Posts: 6

2007-08-13 7:21 AM Mimir98

Jacksonville Triathlon Series - Sprint #2

Started by papson14
Views: 1432 Posts: 1

2007-07-24 10:42 PM papson14

Jacksonville Triathlon Series - Sprint #2

Started by oliveview
Views: 2792 Posts: 17

2006-08-25 2:42 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.