General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri! Ballantyne in charlotte Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-24 8:50 PM

Subject: Tri! Ballantyne in charlotte
Is anyone doing this race this year? This is my first Triathlon and I am excited and nervous! I am a slow fat triathlete and just hoping to finish the rae but am 9 weeks into my training so hopefully I will finish! Not looking to compete at all! Just wondering if anyone else would be there and if someone raced it before if they had any advice!

Thanks!

2013-06-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: Dc3flyer

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Tri! Ballantyne in charlotte
Last years thread should everything you need advise wise.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I have never done the actual race, but I ride 99% of the bike course pretty much every weekend (my advice is also in that thread).

Good luck!
2013-06-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: bgraboski

Thanks for the info! Do you know anyone racing it this year?

Any suggestions? I have been riding a lot and doing a lot of hills and hill repeats but am not very fast.

Tess
2013-06-28 6:44 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
I have done this race every year and enjoyed it. Unfortunately I won't be there this year. The swim is a standard pool swim which means that it will be messy with many people putting in wrong times for seeding. That means that you probably will have to pass people and people will pass you, For the most part the passing will be done at the wall. It is a snake swim where you swim down a lane and back and then go under the rope to get in the next lane. You will probably be slower than when you practice but don't let the swim bother you, it will be done in a short time. You should definitely try and ride the bike course ahead of time. If that's not possible at least drive it. Be careful mounting your bike as many people fell last year right at the start. There is a steep downhill section at the beginning that you should be familiar with before the race to take full advantage of it. Then it's level on a main road before you turn right at a church and go up a steep hill so make sure you're in the right gear for that hill. Then it's mostly rolling hills for a while until you get to another fast downhill section and then there is a long uphill section (About a mile) before it levels off to the finish. I usually lose a lot of time here. The run doesn't have much shade and has a downhill section followed by a turn and an uphill section and then it's level to the finish. Usually a great crowd, one of my favorite races. Good luck and welcome to the club.
2013-06-28 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Elevation of the course attached. Miles 6 - 19 are 99% of the bike course (the rest is just the ride from my house and back).

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (44KB - 18 downloads)
2013-06-28 12:39 PM

User image

New user

Concord, NC
Tri Ballantyne was my first tri last year, and I am planning to sign-up next week for this years. Happy to answer any questions you may have. My biggest problem was my run legs never kicked in after the bike, so make sure you get comfortable doing bike-run bricks.

2013-06-28 4:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Wow, that elevation chart would scare me to death. From mile six to nineteen looks about right except I don't remember the first climb shown, only the last one and the short steep climb after the turn at the church. I'll see how my training goes this week, maybe I'll show up after all.

Oops, I guess that is the climb after the church. I really like the bike course but don't like the run course.

Edited by blynott 2013-06-28 4:49 PM
2013-06-28 6:57 PM
in reply to: blynott

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
I've got this race in my schedule as one of my gateway races. I haven't paid the entry yet but I'm getting ready to do so. I'll be heading to Charlotte from Fayetteville.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri! Ballantyne in charlotte Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri! Ballantyne in charlotte

Started by Dc3flyer
Views: 1092 Posts: 2

2013-06-28 12:38 PM jlshafer

Tri! Ballantyne in charlotte

Started by Dc3flyer
Views: 935 Posts: 1

2013-06-24 8:46 PM Dc3flyer

Tri! Ballantyne : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by blynott
Views: 4045 Posts: 47

2012-07-15 9:13 AM NewDiz

South Charlotte Tri Club?

Started by foots
Views: 936 Posts: 2

2007-02-18 4:26 PM joscon

Charlotte - Tri Stores Pages: 1 2

Started by love2tri
Views: 4463 Posts: 27

2007-01-30 10:30 PM nuthouse
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.