General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brick Workouts: Run first or second for goal of improving run performance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-25 9:36 AM

User image

Subject: Brick Workouts: Run first or second for goal of improving run performance?
Hi All!

Just finished my first oly this past weekend and have a second event (Nations tri) in early September. The run is my weak event, particularly as I've struggled with shin splints and tight calves all season, and I really struggled through it in this last race.

My training plan for the next 10 weeks includes swim/run bricks Tue-Thur-Sun with my long run on Thursdays, bike/strength Mon-Wed, and long bike followed by transition runs on Saturdays.

For the swim/run bricks, I've heard differing schools of thought on whether to do the run last because you're never running on fresh legs during your race, vs. advice that says you should start a brick with your weaker event first as you'll maximize your performance improvements if you're fresh. Any thoughts on which approach is better for someone who needs to focus on run performance?

Thanks!

2013-06-25 9:41 AM
in reply to: alishaarrr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Brick Workouts: Run first or second for goal of improving run performance?
The value of the bike-run brick has nothing directly to do with run performance, in that doing them doesn't make you a better runner. All it really accomplishes is training your body physiologically to adapt to the sensation of running after having been on the bike for a while. Arguably once you 'get it' you shouldn't need to do it as often. Your body will 'remember' what it feels like and get through it. If you want to work on the run, work on the run.
2013-06-25 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa
Subject: RE: Brick Workouts: Run first or second for goal of improving run performance?
What are you trying to achieve with the swim/run bricks? Is this just a way to fit 2 workouts in the day? If it was me, and btw, I would only do a swim/run brick if I need to fit the two workouts together due to time constraints, I would do the swim first since it would allow me to get high quality in both workouts. If I do a run and it has some intensity and right after that I get in the pool, I would probably not have a great quality swim.

Nevertheless, I would say that if you can do the 2 workouts at different times during the day, that would be my preference. Such as one in the morning and the other one at lunch time, which is what I usually do.
2013-06-25 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Except for your transition run, if possible, separate your two workouts of the day. One workout in the morning and one in the afternoon or evening.

As to improving your running, that's about becoming a better runner through specific run training and is also linked to swim and bike fitness and pacing. So, if you have good fitness in all three sports AND pace well on the swim and bike, you'll likely run well. Miss any of those elements and the run will suffer, regardless of run fitness.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brick Workouts: Run first or second for goal of improving run performance? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First tri done need to improve my running

Started by NMS
Views: 1210 Posts: 11

2013-04-30 4:50 PM NMS

Trail running is improving my overall running... Pages: 1 2

Started by bradaskins
Views: 2328 Posts: 26

2010-12-22 10:26 AM Donskiman

Improving Run Performance Pages: 1 2

Started by donzi8
Views: 2177 Posts: 35

2009-08-27 10:06 PM agarose2000

Brick workout - Biking AFTER running

Started by Atak Kat
Views: 2356 Posts: 10

2008-06-13 7:48 AM kagoscuba

How to Run a run-bike brick workout Part I

Started by mikericci
Views: 1299 Posts: 14

2005-08-24 1:37 PM lincsguyus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 3, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 10
Brick workouts are one of THE most important parts of training that you should be doing. Read why and find example brick workouts for any distance.

date : July 20, 2011
comments : 1
Strategies for getting used to running off the bike when starting triathlon or taking on a new distance.
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : May 20, 2008
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?
date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?

date : May 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on bricks, bike position, blisters, bike fit, the walk/run method, improving run times, key sessions, training post ITBS, HR and cadence, wetsuits and eating to not bonk
date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
We did really well with the beers, which will explain my reluctance to get out of bed on Saturday morning.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.