Up at 5:00am, drank water, ate banana and granola, drove to event
Event warmup:

Stretch, easy short jog
Swim
  • 39h 39m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 2h 38m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first triathlon, so I wasn't really sure what to expect for the swim. I had practiced the swim a few times beforehand, so I was at least familiar with the course; however, I hadn't had the opportunity to swim it with a group of people. The start of the race was a little crazy for me, but once I broke from the group, I managed to calm down and swim.
What would you do differently?:

I hadn't completely perfected my stroke and breathing at this point, so I was switching between the breast stroke and the back stroke. Next year, I will plan to swim only the breast stroke now that I have gotten more comfortable with my breathing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

This transition seemed a lot longer than this for me, especially when I first got out of the water and had to grasp my bearings a bit! I jogged from the exit of the swim to the transition for the bike. It was longer than I had expected and on pavement, but I still completed the job barefoot. My legs cramped a bit upon exiting the water, but once I got going they felt better. Drank some water and grabbed "jelly beans" for the ride :)

Nothing. Would still run barefoot in order to give time for my feet to dry.
Bike
  • 45h 46m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was mostly flat and smooth on several side roads. There were several areas with potholes, so beware. After leaving the transition, you immediately go over the Wrightsville Beach draw bridge, which many people say is usually slippery. The event setup put rubber mats down on the metal grates to prevent bikes from slipping, however, I found them to be more rough and would have rather just road slowly over the grates.

I definitely would have pushed a little harder in the beginning and towards the end. I found myself looking around sometimes to see where I was; if I had focused a little more, I could have cut at least 5 minute off of my time. Oh well, first timer! :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

This transition was pretty smooth for me, I only got caught up a bit when I first got off of my bike. Once I was in the transition area and to my station, I quickly drank some more water, helmet off, grabbed a gel pack and began running. I don't use the clip shoes, so once I'm off the bike I didn't have to put a different pair of shoes on.

Paid more attention to where I was supposed to be getting off of my bike. I didn't realize where the lady was, so I skidded past her when I put on my brakes.
Run
  • 33h 14m
  • 5 kms
  • 6h 38m 48s  min/km
Comments:

I think I was the most prepared for this leg of the race. By the start of my run, my legs were so tired already it didn't really matter how fast I ran. The gel definitely helped me in the beginning of my race. There was one area that I had to walk for a bit because I got a terrible calf and foot cramp, but I should have pushed through because they normally pass if I keep running.

I would have kept running with my cramp, just a little slower than my pace. I also would have grabbed water at one of the other stations that I skipped.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around for a bit to slow my heart rate. Grabbed two bottles of water and chugged them. I then stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim technique, leg/foot cramps, and just the fact that this was my first race. I was worried I was going to miss a turn or something!

Event comments:

This was my first triathlon and I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere in the morning was great and it was very, very organized. I am racing again in 2013 and I'm excited to improve my overall time. I was in the novice group, so I was the last group to begin, so I'm not sure of the post-race activities, but I didn't see anything other than food and drinks for the racers. A lot of people were leaving as I was completing my final leg of the run and if that's the case, I think they should hold the activities until most people have finished. Also, some of the best races that I have competed in and ran have included a beer tent afterwards, which they did not. Instead, we walked to Lighthouse Beer and Wine across the street to celebrate a fabulous race!

Last updated: 2013-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
39:39:33 | 1500 meters | 2h 38m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 34/40
Overall: 40/385
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Long course, very low current, didn't feel much of a push
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
45:46:00 | 12 miles | 0.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/40
Overall: 40/385
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
33:14:00 | 05 kms | 6h 38m 48s  min/km
Age Group: 28/40
Overall: 38/385
Performance: Average
Course: Flat course, in a loop with one side street to account for the distance. Mostly sidewalks.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-25 11:19 AM

User image

Subject: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

Started by deepbluesea
Views: 2035 Posts: 6

2005-09-28 6:41 AM ChipmunkHeart

2005 Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

Started by mbrush
Views: 1071 Posts: 4

2005-09-27 7:03 PM ektar1960

2005 Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

Started by tvermillion
Views: 805 Posts: 1

2005-09-25 10:04 PM tvermillion

Started by nuke_angel
Views: 2675 Posts: 12

2005-09-28 11:28 AM Hiccup

Started by spot
Views: 1020 Posts: 2

2004-09-21 7:39 AM desertsix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : February 22, 2011
author : phunt
comments : 2
My first triathlon and a comeback from being overweight and sedentary

date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
comments : 0
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.