General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #1 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fernandina Beach, Florida
United States
DRC Sports
Total Time = 1h 19m 48s
Overall Rank = 48/270
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/17
Pre-race routine:

Drove 2 hours in the early morning to race site
Event warmup:

walked around the beach
Swim
  • 08m 30s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Through the bullhorn the race director gave us the one minute warning. I am confident in my swim ability to know I can keep up with the lead pack for at least the first 100 yards, especially in an ocean swim, so I lined up right at the front and waited for the siren to go off. Horn goes off and I sprint into the ocean jumping over the breakers until it was time to dive in, I felt I had a great start.Stayed with the lead pack to the first turn buoy. Turned right at the buoy smoothly. About 25 yards or so after the buoy the lead pack dropped me, but I was in a large group of fellow red swim caps so I knew I was still in the main pack and all I had to do was hold my pace in this group to the last turn back to shore. Made the last right turn around the last buoy and I was still in the main group. I knew it was going to be a fun ride back to shore riding the waves, or so I thought. My last few seconds of swimming before standing up, right after I exhaled in the water, I got hit with a strong breaker with an undertow and I couldn't get up and I couldn't get my face to surface, I had just exhaled so I had no oxygen so I was in trouble. I got that panicked feeling in my chest, the "this is the end" feeling. I threw up my arm for help but my hand wasn't even getting to the surface. My goggles had been taken away when the breaker hit me so I couldn't see anything. I said a little prayer that I would come out of this alive and not leave the earth this way. Finally the undertow and breaker subsided and I was able to stand up, gather my composure, and run to the beach. The whole scary experience lasted a total of just a few seconds, but it felt like so much longer. I know I must have looked rough emerging from the Atlantic like that, but I still gave my support crew a smile as I ran up the beach to T1. Swim time include run up the beach to T1
What would you do differently?:

Not get caught in an undertow
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s

Nothing, good transition
Bike
  • 46m 13s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.53 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a simple out and back course. I felt great on the bike. The new bike fit has me feeling fast and comfortable, I felt like myself on the bike again. This is the first race this year where I have felt fast and "like myself" on the bike. We had a nice tailwind to the turn around point so I hammered it, expecting to have a difficult headwind after the turn around. To my surprise and delight, the wind seemed to shift with us and had some wind help on the return trip as well. Myself, and other racer's Garmins and bike computers had the course at almost 17 miles. The official results have my average at 21 MPH for 16 miles but my Garmin has me a 22 MPH average for almost 17 miles. Doesn't matter, everyone had to do it so everyone was subject to this. Coming to the bike dismount line my support crew was there, Jennifer yells "slow down so I can take a picture!" HA! I'm racing, not slowing down! Made it to the dismount line and unclipped, got off the bike stumbling a bit and almost knocked over a sign but was able to laugh about it

Nothing, good bike
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s

nothing, good transition
Run
  • 22m 57s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I can be brutally honest to say that lately my running sucks. Coming off of illnesses and foot injuries run training has suffered. My only speed work has been short brick runs off of bike rides. Regardless, I did my best here. Was glad I brought my own fluid, I was thirsty throughout the run. A guy I ran past just before the first mile asked me if the tattoos on the back of my calves were real or temporaries. I was running high 7's per mile pace but it felt much tougher than usual. Good indicator that I still need the speed work. Made it to the turn around point and was relieved it was half over. I did the best I could on this run, today was high 7's, maybe next time I can go faster. Finally left Fort Clinch and was heading to the finish. Right before the finish line straight-away I looked behind me to check for any women who looked around my age to see if it was going to be a sprint race to the finish line. Only one guy behind me. I still picked up the pace since I just wanted to be done. I heard my support crew cheering and the kids were ringing the cowbells

More speed work!
Post race
Warm down:

place 3rd in age group, so waited around for awards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

getting sick and lack of speed work

Event comments:

DRC puts on great races! Looking forward to the next 2 races in the series!

Last updated: 2013-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:30 | 440 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 109/270
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:13 | 16 miles | 20.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 54/270
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:57 | 03 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 63/270
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-25 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #2

Started by autigers_1998
Views: 985 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 7:06 AM autigers_1998

Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #2

Started by coastie82
Views: 690 Posts: 1

2012-07-22 2:10 PM coastie82

Jacksonville Sprint Triathlon Series #1

Started by coastie82
Views: 625 Posts: 1

2012-06-24 3:20 PM coastie82

Started by naiad
Views: 641 Posts: 1

2012-06-24 1:57 PM naiad

Started by jaxbamf73
Views: 1231 Posts: 2

2012-06-24 2:03 PM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.