General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help!! Cravings!! and Can't lose last 5-6 pounds Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-25 1:45 PM

User image

Subject: Help!! Cravings!! and Can't lose last 5-6 pounds
Hey all,

I am having the worst time with cravings as of recent. I would normally stay away from any sweets, ie cookies, icre cream, etc. But recently its been my kryptonite!!

I am also struggling to lose the last 5-6pounds to race weight, I have been plateuing forever.

Any advise??

Cheers,

Corey

2013-06-25 3:13 PM
in reply to: coreycs

User image

Subject: RE: Help!! Cravings!! and Can't lose last 5-6 pounds
I gave up eating processed foods, sugar included back in February. Now, several months later, I can really taste an appreciate the natural sweetness of fruits and other foods. Now if I get a craving for sweets, some dates, berries, or melon are plenty to satisfy me and keeps down the calorie count.
2013-06-25 10:39 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
If you really feel the urge for something sweet, do it after a workout! Your body needs an insulin spike anyway so why not give it what it wants and satisfy your cravings. Option 2....go do some exercise before you indulge. I had a friend who would know he would get ice cream but go for a 30 minute jog before he went to get his ice cream.
2013-06-26 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
If you are craving sweets, try eating root vegetables like sweet potatoes, turnips, beets etc. Roast them first so their natural sweetness comes out. I often crave salt and will give into that by eating things like miso soup, pickles, or just adding salt to my diet since it is very low in sodium to begin with.

Also, eat fresh fruit. Freeze grapes, make homemade popsicles or if you eat dairy, freeze drops of Greek yogurt (drop on a parchment paper-lined cookie tray) and eat it like astronaut ice cream. My husband also makes homemade lara bars that satiate these cravings as well.

My other recommendation is to remove all temptation from your home. If it's not there to eat, you won't eat it. And always have a glass of water before you eat a snack. You may just be thirsty.
2013-06-26 11:59 AM
in reply to: kziemer

User image

Thanks for the info. Kinda hard to get rid of the sweets with a 4 year old around.

I will try some of the sugguestions. Just curious why it came out of nowhere.
2013-06-26 12:45 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Originally posted by coreycs Thanks for the info. Kinda hard to get rid of the sweets with a 4 year old around. I will try some of the sugguestions. Just curious why it came out of nowhere.

I know it's a little idealistic, but your 4 year old doesn't really need those cookies and ice cream, do they?

Just don't eat it. Keep yourself full with healthful, real, food and don't let yourself get hungry to have cravings. Reach for fruit instead. Take a walk. Do something else. I always make myself do something else for a bit (even 5min) before going for something 'treat' that I know is just a craving. I rarely still want it. CRAVINGS pass. The damage doesn't.

2013-06-26 1:42 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Not sure if this would be your case, but my first thought is to figure out whether or not your craving for sweets has some cause. Two main causes of craving sweets during training (which are arguably the same thing) is overtraining (probably not your case since you hadn't mentioned a real jump in workload lately) or a lack of protein in your diet to sufficiently repair muscles.

Just food for thought I suppose. It's also possible just to be a psychological by-product of something else.
2013-06-26 7:34 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by coreycs Thanks for the info. Kinda hard to get rid of the sweets with a 4 year old around. I will try some of the sugguestions. Just curious why it came out of nowhere.

Having a 4 year old around is the ideal reason to get rid of the sweets.  No reason they need sweets daily.  If you want to have a treat make it a special outing to go get something, otherwise they can eat fruit as well.  Start them on the road to good nutrition early

2013-06-26 8:20 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Originally posted by bzgl40

Having a 4 year old around is the ideal reason to get rid of the sweets.  No reason they need sweets daily.  If you want to have a treat make it a special outing to go get something, otherwise they can eat fruit as well.  Start them on the road to good nutrition early

This is about me and not my kid. Its not like we have truck loads of sweets here. I believe in moderation and also letting a kid be a kid.

I ate twinkies, flavor ice, popsicles and candy as a kid and turned out alight.

Thanks for the constructive advice
2013-08-22 12:10 PM

User image

I find that I crave sweets when I am tired. Having a four year old, you are tired! Just kidding, but have you lost sleep or been more stressed than normal recently? I too am after that last 6-7 pounds but I am going to give myself a bit of a 'cheat week' on vacation this coming week and start over when I return. Not that I am going to make myself sick with junk food but I will allow myself some food indulgences that I normally would not. I have found in the past that a little bit of 'cheating' shakes up my body and I will have a nice weight loss a week or so afterward.

Just my two cents!

Patti
2013-09-01 2:47 PM

Monitor your calorie intake, no sweets included, and then, adjust diet to include them. I don't recommend you eat them everyday

Anyway, cravings are really signs that something is missing. Are you ingesting enough carbs?

Other trick is to add nuts because they are rich in minerals whil help in controlling some cravings like chocolate.

In what concerns to cookies, ice cream, pizza, etc. It is a question of managing them and trying to fit in daily calories.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help!! Cravings!! and Can't lose last 5-6 pounds Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Those last five pounds

Started by dtb
Views: 967 Posts: 1

2008-03-30 10:35 PM dtb

Help with Food Cravings

Started by Vertigo
Views: 1020 Posts: 5

2006-01-06 9:30 AM Vertigo

need help finding a long-lasting snack..

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 1141 Posts: 14

2005-09-17 6:13 PM trigirlkris

Post Race Protein Cravings

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 1623 Posts: 24

2005-07-20 3:06 PM BellinghamSpence

Chocolate Craving after Lunch

Started by Flavor
Views: 1847 Posts: 15

2005-07-29 10:56 AM taylors_dad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?

date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : September 3, 2006
author : fatboy38
comments : 10
I've come a long way in one year; 85 pounds lost and fitness gained. I think I feel truly alive for the first time in a long time.

date : June 4, 2006
author : robinskj
You don't have to wait for lost pounds, a new bike, more time to train, etc. Work with what you've got right now, and go for it!
date : October 2, 2005
author : tgurl
comments : 1
”Everyone can swim; show me what you can do.” She watched, I emerged and she said, “Oh! You really can't swim!”

date : November 29, 2004
author : gsmacleod
The story of how I lost 60lbs and decided to start training for a triathlon.