General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tragic Sports Writer Becomes Multi-Sport Athlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-25 3:16 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Tragic Sports Writer Becomes Multi-Sport Athlete
So...at 30 years old I started writing professionally about the sport of boxing. I was a publicist for a talented heavyweight fighter who was about to break into the mainstream. We got him a main event fight on Showtime. It was his moment to make an impact on the sport, it was to be his introduction to the world and I was the person who would craft that story. Guess what happened? He got destroyed inside of three rounds. End of boxing career.

Moving on... I wrote a book fictionalizing my experiences with that fighter in the novel Virgin Gloves. I continued writing books for the next five years, publishing 7 in total. I attended book signings in different states, appeared in newspapers, magazines, on TV and radio shows. Things seemed to be progressing until the 2008 recession sent the publishing world, as well as hundreds of bookstores, into oblivion. Book sales stopped cold. End of Novelist career.

Moving on... After watching Mountain Bikers compete at the Beijing Olympics I was inspired to start riding myself. My brother and I bought bikes and took on the Root 66 XC Race Series in New England. I won a bronze medal at two races and took 3rd overall for the series. My interest expanded into Downhill races where I won a Gold at the Pat's Peak Downhill Thrill. However, finding a stable work or living arrangement in Massachusetts proved problematic so it was time to move back to Florida.

Moving down south... While I wanted to continue with my MTBing, there seemed little opportunity compared to what I next stumbled into - BMX Racing. I traded my Downhill bike for a 20 inch and hit the track with a vengeance. In my first season I won my class at the Florida State Championships. In addition I started a website devoted to Florida BMX Racing news. It was full of photos, videos, race reports and interviews. In only 2 years it became the premier BMX site in the state gathering 10,000 hits per week. However, at the begining of 2013 the site ran out of funding. End of BMX career.

Moving on... Currently running in the Zoomer's 5k Race Series and spending time with the SCORR MTB group. I'm also still writing about local events but this is just a lull. I have a penchant for getting myself into the middle of big things. I think Triathlons will be my next arena, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

2013-06-26 8:54 AM
in reply to: Bogdogs

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Tragic Sports Writer Becomes Multi-Sport Athlete

Welcome to BT.  You certainly have an interesting background.

I see you're in Englewood.  The Englewood YMCA Sprint Tri is coming up on 7/13.  It's a fun little race.  I'll be there (for the 6th time) and there's usually a handful of other local BTers around.  You ought to come and hang out and see what it's all about.

Mark

2013-06-26 1:44 PM
in reply to: Bogdogs

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Tragic Sports Writer Becomes Multi-Sport Athlete
As long as Rev3 and WTC don't now end up bankrupt as a result, welcome to triathlon!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tragic Sports Writer Becomes Multi-Sport Athlete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New to Multi-Sport

Started by Endlessmr
Views: 606 Posts: 2

2012-07-23 12:32 AM bcraht

Young athlete who doesn't play sports anymore!

Started by RCapo
Views: 1109 Posts: 2

2010-12-12 10:13 PM Chaderbox

New to the sport, any sport

Started by Angusbob
Views: 908 Posts: 2

2009-05-02 3:11 AM Chaderbox

A Fattie Hoping to Get in Shape and Become an Athlete

Started by RyLawnyo
Views: 1497 Posts: 20

2005-07-27 8:41 PM Denise2003

Brand New to this sport

Started by Anna
Views: 1838 Posts: 18

2004-03-16 10:06 AM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : November 12, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
While busy athletes enjoy the ease of using pre-wrapped sports foods, these commercial products tend to be more about convenience than necessity. Here is a listing of various types of sport fuels.
date : May 6, 2009
While there is a time and a place for engineered sports foods, many athletes needlessly waste a lot of money misusing them. The purpose of this article is to help you become an informed consumer.

date : January 19, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Which sport do you believe is easier to continually improve at: swimming, bicycling, or running? What makes you think this specific sport is easier to improve at?
date : December 11, 2006
If you have ever felt confused by the plethora of commercial sports fuels, you are not alone. Runners, cyclists, and other athletes inevitably ask me, "What’s the best energy bar? gel? sports drink?"

date : March 5, 2006
Many athletes train hard but fail to fuel their bodies at the right times with the right foods. Sound familiar? You might want to think about getting a nutrition check up with a sports dietitian.
date : October 30, 2005
Confusion still abounds regarding the role of bread in a sports diet. Some weight conscious athletes still fear bread as a fattening enemy.

date : January 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.