General Discussion Triathlon Talk » where to pick-up training after injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-25 7:20 PM

User image

New user
Subject: where to pick-up training after injury
Looking for advice on how to re-start my triathlon training after a long lay-off due to injury. Specifically how to ease back into running in regards to mileage.

Prior to the injury I had been training for about 7 months for my 1st season of triathlon (3 sprints and an olympic). I shattered my collarbone during a training ride in April and now have a nice piece hardware holding me back together. I had been doing the 2x balanced training plan with run mileage around 10 - 15mpw (my weekly long run was about 7 miles). I've been out of commission (not cleared to run or swim) for 8 weeks and expect another 3 before I get the full release from the doc. I've been riding the trainer hard to try to maintain fitness ( hooray for SufferFest!).

How do I even begin to 'resume' the training plan? What should be my new starting point for running? I realize I can't just pick up where I left off but don't even know where to start.

2013-06-25 8:00 PM
in reply to: bryathlete

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: where to pick-up training after injury
Sorry to hear about your collar bone. Here is a plan I'm using right now to rebuild:

http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml

I had a stress fracture in my foot after my second marathon in late February, and when I tried getting back to running what seemed like low miles, my piriformis issue really flared up. So I consulted Google and came up with the above plan. It seems like a sensible way to rebuild, and avoid the too much too soon trap. I'm only on week 2 of the run plan, but so far so good. I'm also working on rebuilding some swim endurance right now, which seems to be a good fit for the non-running days. Hope you find something that works for you!

2013-06-26 8:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Subject: RE: where to pick-up training after injury
Generally after a lay off of that long I want to go right back to square one and start back with short a15 min run and build from there again, you will how ever be able to build back to a 3 to 5 mile run fairly quickly, say 3 to 5 weeks if there are not any further complications to you initial injury.
I will usually go 3 runs of 15 minutes no issues go to 20 min for the next 3 runs still no problems then go to 25, 3 more runs no issues move to 30min ect.
and definitely put a recovery day in between each of the runs at least at the start.

I know It sucks but if you push to hard too soon you can almost guarantee a repeat of the old injury or worse yet get a new One because typically what will happen is that you will unconsciously alter something in your gait to avoid agrivating the old injury by saying oh its only a bit sore or its not really hurting that bad or, if you are pushing the milage to fast and will injure something else, a slow and steady return is alway's the best course to take when coming off any injury especially a running related one.

Edited by RRH_88 2013-06-26 8:13 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » where to pick-up training after injury Rss Feed