General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM done-when to start training again? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-17 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: HIM done-when to start training again?
I did my HIM yesterday and now my next event is a century ride in the fall (september). I feel good and a little wired to start again. I know to give my body some time. So i thought of doing pilates this week, elliptical , wednesday some biking, friday 3 mile run and saturday bike 1.5 hours. Does this sound good or too much.

2006-07-17 10:30 PM
in reply to: #485656

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: HIM done-when to start training again?

Post A-race malaise is common malady you will need to watch-out for once the euphoria of completing the race subsides ... make sure that you take the time to recover, but not too much time in that it becomes difficult to get back into the swing of following a schedule again.

You might want to pick some "B" and "C" race to use a training targets in the intervening time to keep your training on schedule.

Word to the wise, it is easy to fall off pace -- and then struggle to get back on it again -- so pick your training goals and develop a plan now while you are in tip-top shape.

Lastly, congrats on completing an impressive distance race with an attitude of looking forward to the next challenge!

2006-07-17 10:32 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
first, congratulations!

second, there's nobody here who can tell you what to do during that post race week except to 'take it easy'.

what that means is up to you. your plan doesn't sound too much at all, BUT you should listen to your body more closely than pre-race now.

what that means is that although you might be functioning well you might be teetering on the verge of injury. you can't feel the damage you might have done to your ligaments and tendos - if you run, go slow, even if you think you can go faster.

also, there's nothing wrong with taking a week off training just to be sure, unless it'll drive you crazy.
2006-07-17 10:39 PM
in reply to: #485668

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View

You might want to pick some "B" and "C" race to use a training targets in the intervening time to keep your training on schedule.

except that for some people EVERY race is an A race. in that case it's best to avoid races and set your own moderated training goals...
2006-07-17 10:58 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I suggest not running for 7-10 days.  Do some easy spinning and swimming when you feel like it...no specific agenda or plan...just active recovery.  Don't rush the recovery period.  ven though your body may feel fn within a few days it probably needs 2-3 weeks for complete recovery so just enjoy the light training days.
2006-07-18 6:22 AM

User image

Veteran
thanks for the response. It's hard not to be in training mode right now. I kind got addicted to it. But I know to take it easy so i will stick to the program I have. I do have a "B" and "C" race coming up but no tri in site, just a century ride and a Half-Marathon ( all on trails up on a ski hill). I don't feel depressed , that HIM in fact gave me a lot of confidence and proved to me that I have more mental strenght than I thought.

2006-07-18 7:28 AM
in reply to: #485675

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
awol - 2006-07-17 11:39 PM

except that for some people EVERY race is an A race. in that case it's best to avoid races and set your own moderated training goals...

... they have medicine for that

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM done-when to start training again? Rss Feed