General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1 - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fernandina Beach, Florida
United States
DRC Sports
81F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 44m 43s
Overall Rank = 102/155
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/15
Pre-race routine:

"Nothing"
Event warmup:

"Nothing" again
Swim
  • 32m 56s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

First ocean swim of my tri career and it was a lot of fun. Got past about 3-4 large waves at the beach and then settled in pretty good. After the 1st of 2 turn bouys, I got in behind a swimmer and this was the 1st time I've ever drafted during a swim. This really helped out and the longest part of the swim was a breeze.
What would you do differently?:

Try and jump on more feet. I didn't know what to expect at the pace and if I would get lead down the wrong way.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I had a really good T1 and there weren't any real hangups especially since I didn't use a wetsuit.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 19m 42s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I was having a great ride out of transition and before I knew it is was already 10 miles down the road. On the bridge right before the turnaround, I ran over a black rubber tie-down and the hooks grabbed onto the spokes of my front tire. Before I knew it I looked down to see the tie-down winding around the hub. After just a couple revolutions, the hook grabbed onto the fork and launched me right over the handlebars. It was pretty violent but I stood up and realized that my shoulder and knee were tore up but nothing was broken. I slowly got to my bike and had to work pretty hard to get the tie-down unhooked and out of the tire. After I did, I had to reposition the brakes and the bar end shifters. After finally getting back on the bike I started feeling everything that was sore or bruised and bleeding. I think I spent about 10 minutes getting it all situated. Getting my legs loose and up to a respectable speed took another 4-6 miles. I was on pace for a phenomenal bike leg if not for the crash. Still though, I learned a lot about how I can handle a crash and still finish with my head up..

Pay attention to the course and try to avoid running over debris on the road
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Pretty good shot at T2 this time. Everything went on easy but I think that the charlie horse in my left calf had me stepping around carefully and it cramped again slipping my shoe on.

Nothing
Run
  • 49m 43s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a tough run just based on the weather conditions alone. It was cloudy all day long thankfully but the heat had crept up and I was pretty beat up from the crash. I did my best to push the pace and try to hold on. I stopped to walk twice but for only 10 seconds or so. I didn'nt really help to slow down so I just kicked it back into a run.

Actual training wold help
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of consistant training and the crash during the bike.

Last updated: 2013-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:56 | 1500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 108/155
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Clockwise horseshoe from the beach. 3-5 ft waves at the shore and fairly smooth for the rest of the way.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:42 | 24.8 miles | 18.67 mile/hr
Overall: 136/155
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Southbound out & back course. Flat & fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:43 | 06.2 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 48/155
Performance: Below average
Course: Out & back on Ft. Clinch Road. It was pretty muggy in there with no real breeze because of the tree cover on each side of the road and it's growth directly overhead. It created a tunnell effect of shade but also kept in the humidity.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-25 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Subject: Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1110 Posts: 1

2013-06-24 3:58 PM rjrankin83

Jacksonville Triathlon Series Sprint #3

Started by papson14
Views: 1167 Posts: 1

2007-08-13 9:22 AM papson14

Jacksonville Triathlon Series #3

Started by snikpos
Views: 1004 Posts: 6

2007-08-13 7:21 AM Mimir98

Jacksonville Triathlon Series - Sprint #2

Started by papson14
Views: 1434 Posts: 1

2007-07-24 10:42 PM papson14

Jacksonville Triathlon Series - Sprint #2

Started by oliveview
Views: 2793 Posts: 17

2006-08-25 2:42 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.