General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How good is this starter package? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-26 3:08 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: How good is this starter package?
A local tri store has a complete starter package put together. All of this is stuff that I need to get started as a tri newbie, and the price doesn't look bad at first glance. I'm only concerned with getting stuff that I would need to replace sooner rather than later because the quality may not be as good as some other brands.

Here is what the package comes with & a pic. I am not mentioning the store name because I don't want to step on the toes of any site sponsors. Tell me what you think.

The total package is $1,999.95

- Quintana Roo Caliente, Featuring QR's Fit Series geometry
- Blueseventy Fusion Wetsuit
- Louis Garneau Pro Top and Shorts, Men's and Women's sizing available
- Louis Garneau Mundial Helmet
- Louis Garneau Tri X-Speed Shoes, Men's and Women's models
- Louis Garneau TR30 Tri Bag
- LOOK Keo Easy pedals
- Store brand Water Bottle, Cage and Race Belt
- a Bonus $20 store Gift Card (not useable for the purchase of this package) for you to use for anything on-line or in the Retail Store!

(complete-tri-package.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
complete-tri-package.jpg (175KB - 16 downloads)

2013-06-26 5:53 AM
in reply to: #4787872

Subject: RE: How good is this starter package?
What year is the bike? I don't see it as an available model on tgeir website anymore. That may be why the price is appealing. The other gear isn't bad! Nytro multisport has packages too.
2013-06-26 6:12 AM
in reply to: Mtthwprc45

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
The bike is a discontinued QR bike that they were able to secure a number of them to build this package. Pretty sure it is only a 2011 or 2012 model, but I could be wrong.
2013-06-26 6:15 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
It all depends on whether the QR is a good fit for you or not. If it is and you need a "full package" then its a pretty good deal.

If you don't need the extra stuff, then it's just ok.

If the QR is a bad fit, then it's a terrible deal.
2013-06-26 8:40 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
I have ordered from this store before and their customer service is great!
Go to the store and see if the bike fits you.

Though a bit food for thought:
A tri-bike is more difficult to handle than a road bike, if you are not a somewhat strong cyclist, you may want to start with a road or hybrid bike.
Since it is a local Tri store, you live in the south. While GA is not as hot as TX, I barely need my wetsuit and as a newbiew you may we going a year or two before needing a wetsuit.
I saw this package with a Cannondale slice, that bike might have a very different fit if the QR ain't working out

$2k is still a chunk of money. If you are somewhat short on cash you can get started in tri's with a lot less invested (though I went out and bought a $2k bike from the get-go as well)
2013-06-26 9:51 AM
in reply to: timf79

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Yep, the store is a pretty popular Atlanta one. I have been there & looked at the items in the package. I did not get on the bike to try it out, but I looked it over from top to bottom. And the customer service there is top notch, so if I buy local, it will most likely be from them.

I am riding a 13 year old Cannondale mountain bike that I had tuned up & put road tires on. I will likely use that for my first couple sprints (I have yet to do a tri race) before moving to a tri bike. I likely won't go the road bike route because if I buy a new bike, I am going to buy what I will ultimately need.

As for the rest of the package, I don't have any of that stuff, so it woudl all be needed. As for the wetsuit, I am more of a cold weather person, so I would likely be doing more races in the fall/winter/spring rather than the summer. I hate running this time of year.

2013-06-26 2:56 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Pro

Firstly- you need to decide on your bike via a fitting.  not all bikes fit all people.

Secondly- it's a fair price, but not stellar.  If you shopped around and bought even some of the stuff on sale, you could probably do as well.  And shopping around for just the right stuff is kinda' part of the fun (for me)

thirdly- do you really want/need all of that stuff?  If you don't own a road bike and plan on doing a lot of group riding, that might be a better choice.

Triathlons are equipment intensive.  But- you don't need everything to just get into the sport.  

2013-06-26 3:37 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
On a flipside from soneome who is in this sport now just a bit over a year:
I did not go with that package 1.5 years ago.
I bought a road versus a tri bike due to multitude of recommendations.
Now 1.5 years later I have added a tri to my road bike, I have bought tri-shoes as road shoes cost to much time in transition. I got a wet suit, to be able to swim early in the season, I own several tri-kits.

Looking back I think that set would have been a better option to get into the sport.
Because while shopping around is fun, doing so when you don't have knowledge/experience is time consuming and can be frustrating.
Trying to get by on the cheap then often results becoming more expense as you buy cheap first and then expensive (rather than expensive in the first place).

2013-07-04 1:12 PM
in reply to: 0

I am a newbie too and am debating between the all3sport one and this Nytro package I found. http://www.nytro.com/triathlon-packages/

For $2,199.98
2013 Cannondale Slice 5 105 Triathlon / Time Trial Bike
Blue Seventy Fusion Fullsuit Wetsuit - Men's or Women's
Men's 2XU Hi Fil Tri Singlet or Women's Zoot Active Mesh Tri Tank
Men's 2XU Active Tri Short 8" or Women's Zoot Active Tri Short 8"
Shimano TR31 Tri Shoes
Shimano R540 Pedal/Cleats
Bell Lumen Helmet
Nytro Transition Bag
Nytro Water Bottle
Nytro Water Bottle Cage
Nytro Hybrid Race Belt
Nytro Bike Fit - Shop customers only

Any thoughts on this one?

Edited by laijacqueline 2013-07-04 1:13 PM
2013-07-04 6:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I think if the bike fits it's an OK deal. I'm happy I went the route I went. I bought the bike, helmet, cleats, and shoes at once (spent more than the package, but you could go cheaper if you wanted). I live in the SE also and didn't need a wetsuit the first year. Still don't have a transition bag (waiting to pick that up at IMFL ) I'm sure you already have a water bottle. The race belt is $5.

This sport is addictive. If you get into it you're going to probably want to upgrade that bike pretty quick. You're going to buy more tri kits. You can find good deals on used items here and on ST. Even with the deals the $$$ adds up quick, trust me!

Edited by rjrankin83 2013-07-04 6:20 PM
2013-07-05 10:26 AM
in reply to: laijacqueline

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
I agree if the bike fits great deaL!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How good is this starter package? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Good deal on Cervelo bike package?

Started by thecatch83
Views: 1549 Posts: 5

2010-04-01 11:22 PM agarose2000

Trek 1600: Am I getting a good deal?

Started by amilwee
Views: 8337 Posts: 6

2008-07-02 7:45 PM amilwee

starter gear

Started by footballer
Views: 885 Posts: 11

2005-11-26 6:50 PM the bear

Questions about cheap starter gear

Started by bradword
Views: 704 Posts: 3

2005-10-11 9:12 AM oipolloi

Triathlon Starter Kit

Started by goblue9696
Views: 6089 Posts: 3

2005-07-01 12:19 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.