Other Resources My Cup of Joe » So who watched "Extreme weight loss" last night? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-26 1:18 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: So who watched "Extreme weight loss" last night?

Since obesity seems to be all the rage these days.... (Maybe we should have just one obese thread Laughing)

Ok, the show is good in that it takes a whole year, but it is still "extreme". Couple of things hit me last night.

First, the kid was living on shakes because he was so obsessed with the "numbers". He was staving himself to the point of undernourishment and his hair was falling out. I am actually more shocked that they put that on air, and that they addressed the fact that it is not healthy. I have always wondered about "Biggest Looser" and what goes on behind the scenes for then to "stay on the show". It is hard to image all these extreme weight losses are "healthy".

This is not about the kids weight loss, but his one arm.... even I was shocked that trainer challenged him with a century at 6 months. I understand they want to shock him with a challenge, but that was ridiculous. You can't rid a bike with one arm. I can't. Only meaning when you hit the brake, you turn because your weight is transfered forward. With no counterbalance on the other side, he had to hold himself up the whole time. Sit up... but if the bar is not where you can sit up, then you have to bend over. Like they needed to give him a post on the other side to or something... anything.

Obviously people with prosthetics ride bikes very well. I just thought that for where he was at with what he had, it was a ridiculous challenge. I was very happy he spoke up, and thought the 43 miles he rode for his uncle was a huge accomplishment. And you could finally see they modified the bike with a VERY tall handle bar. I was glad they backed off, and maybe with his new prosthetic he can gain some knew abilities. Maybe a triathalon is in his future.

2013-06-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: So who watched "Extreme weight loss" last night?

I didn't watch anything last night, but I did do what some might consider "extreme" training and am trying to get to race weight.

Oh, wait, this is another thread about tv shows.  My bad.

2013-06-26 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I didn't watch last night but I have watched some of the doccumentaries on people after wieghtloss surgery and they follow them out for like 2-3 years.  Its interesting stuff.  These people are addicted to food and its easy for them to go to the other extreme.  I don't do weightloss surgery but the pts I have seen who have had it typically fall into the following categories

-They loose significant weight and plateau. This seems to be the biggest category.  They are still 50-60 pounds over wieght but they don't care because they feel so much better
-They get to goal wieght and have to have extra skin removed
-They loose wieght then gain much if not all of it back

Biggest loser.......I don't really watch it but I do wonder how many calories they get a day and how many hours they are really working out. 

2013-06-26 2:46 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Elite
I know two people myself that had surgery. One gained it all back and has been there for a few years. One got "skinny", gained some back, but seems to be maintaining that. You would look at him and say he is over wight/obese, but he is much smaller than what he used to be. It is certainly no silver bullet.
2013-06-26 2:49 PM

User image

Queen BTich
Originally posted by powerman

Since obesity seems to be all the rage these days.... (Maybe we should have just one obese thread Laughing)

Ok, the show is good in that it takes a whole year, but it is still "extreme". Couple of things hit me last night.

First, the kid was living on shakes because he was so obsessed with the "numbers". He was staving himself to the point of undernourishment and his hair was falling out. I am actually more shocked that they put that on air, and that they addressed the fact that it is not healthy. I have always wondered about "Biggest Looser" and what goes on behind the scenes for then to "stay on the show". It is hard to image all these extreme weight losses are "healthy".

I really enjoy this show much more than BL. All drama is self-generated (well, I guess it is in BL, but there's no fighting!) and they must deal with it, and overcome it.

I'm not surprised they showed it. I'm glad they did. I was even more happy that the show tried again, to teach him to eat. Now, I don't know if he got sub-200 in the healthiest of ways, as he seemed like an obsessive kid, but hopefully he learned some good habits.

That's another reason I've liked this show much more than BL. I think a year is much more reasonable in terms of the weight loss, and the people MUST learn to balance better eating with working out, while living at home. These people have a much better chance to be successful for these reasons. BL is unrealistic in that way: they're working out 6-8hrs a day, on 1200-1500 calories, then when they go home, the ones still in for the big prize, keep with the calorie restriction and over exercising. Then gain at least 20lbs a week later.

2013-06-26 3:17 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Elite

^^^ Ya, I know it is a big deal on BL, I would not be the least surprised if they were doing "other" stuff to make the cut like all the weight cutting techniques we know about.

I was really happy with the kid. With this show there was none of the normal drama of "breaking them down"... and the first battle of trying to get them to do it. He had his excuses, but he just seemed to get to work with what ever he was told...at least that was how it was edited.

This show does seem to be cool with it's format. And while it is certainly inspirational, and hopefully some can find motivation to change what they are doing. I'm torn on those that might just see it as another "instant gratification" thing, or that unless you have a team of professionals and unlimited time to work out, you can't change.

What ever, the kid was really cool and has a lot of opportunity and time to share what he has.

2013-06-26 3:33 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Oooo...i love this show...I wish Chris Powell would come live in MY house for 3 months and help me change my habits!

I'll have to try to watch it online....

2013-06-26 3:41 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
I did watch it. Was glad they aired it.  People need to see that you can't starve yourself while burning the amount of calories he was.  Was happy they showed him how to cook and what kind of foods to eat rather than drinking shakes all day long. I also watched it because he was from Appleton, WI.  Not too far from where I live and I am a huge Packer fan. Loved seeing Donald Driver and Clay Matthews
2013-06-26 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

This is not about the kids weight loss, but his one arm.... even I was shocked that trainer challenged him with a century at 6 months. I understand they want to shock him with a challenge, but that was ridiculous. You can't rid a bike with one arm. I can't. Only meaning when you hit the brake, you turn because your weight is transfered forward. With no counterbalance on the other side, he had to hold himself up the whole time. Sit up... but if the bar is not where you can sit up, then you have to bend over. Like they needed to give him a post on the other side to or something... anything.

I worked with a guy who only had 1 complete arm.  His other arm only went to the elbow.   He rides motorcycles.   He generally moves the clutch/brake/throttle over to the left side (where his good arm is) for his motorcycles.

But he CAN ride a standard motorcycle... with his left arm on the right handle.

He used to go to motorcycle shops and ask for test drives, just as a form of amusement. 

I enjoy your posts, as a rule.  But don't presume to tell ANYONE what they can or can't do with what they've got.

2013-06-26 8:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

That would be amusing!

OK... as an extremely over weight person, that NEVER rode a bike before, that had NO appendage to work with on the other side, or modification to a bike.... it was absolutely crazy to think he could do a 100 miles in 6 months.

And Chris said they were going to go from LA to San Diego. I took that to mean in the real world, but not sure if he just meant distance some place else in a controlled setting. I mean there are able bodied people that would freak out if you asked them to ride from LA to SD in the real world.

Obviously, I agree there are plenty of very talented people with disabilities that can do things as well of better than able bodied folks. I did not mean to speak of an absolute statement applied to all people missing one arm... or that they could not eventually learn to overcome problems... just that asking the kid to do a century in 6 months was a little out there. But that I place no limitations on him in the future and he could indeed become an accomplished rider with time.

I had a friend that lost his leg in a MVA. Went to the para Olympics and won medals as a cyclist. We would have group rides and he would kick everyone's butt. I do know people are capable of incredible things.

Edited by powerman 2013-06-26 8:19 PM
2013-06-27 6:38 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

That would be amusing!

OK... as an extremely over weight person, that NEVER rode a bike before, that had NO appendage to work with on the other side, or modification to a bike.... it was absolutely crazy to think he could do a 100 miles in 6 months.

And Chris said they were going to go from LA to San Diego. I took that to mean in the real world, but not sure if he just meant distance some place else in a controlled setting. I mean there are able bodied people that would freak out if you asked them to ride from LA to SD in the real world.

Obviously, I agree there are plenty of very talented people with disabilities that can do things as well of better than able bodied folks. I did not mean to speak of an absolute statement applied to all people missing one arm... or that they could not eventually learn to overcome problems... just that asking the kid to do a century in 6 months was a little out there. But that I place no limitations on him in the future and he could indeed become an accomplished rider with time.

I had a friend that lost his leg in a MVA. Went to the para Olympics and won medals as a cyclist. We would have group rides and he would kick everyone's butt. I do know people are capable of incredible things.

Chris Powell often sets the 6 month goal as something incredibly crazy...I think only about half of the folks manage the goal...but even those that don't are amazed by how far they've come typically...I'm sure he has a reason for picking the goals he picks...

2013-06-27 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Obviously people with prosthetics ride bikes very well. I just thought that for where he was at with what he had, it was a ridiculous challenge. I was very happy he spoke up, and thought the 43 miles he rode for his uncle was a huge accomplishment. And you could finally see they modified the bike with a VERY tall handle bar. I was glad they backed off, and maybe with his new prosthetic he can gain some knew abilities. Maybe a triathalon is in his future.

One Arm Joe says otherwise.  just because you can't doesn't mean noone can.  I've raced against him.  He is an absolute stud.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120730/news/707309905/

2013-06-27 11:46 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by crowny2

One Arm Joe says otherwise.  just because you can't doesn't mean noone can.  I've raced against him.  He is an absolute stud.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120730/news/707309905/

Well, I thought I explained myself, but apparently not. A stand out high school athlete that then fell in love with cycling... then was in an accident, then went on the the Para Olympics.... yes, that sounds exactly like a boy that had always been obese, never rode a bike and was tasked with doing a century at 6 months into an extreme weight loss program.

When I said I can't, it's because I don't "have" to. I have carried stuff before, and when you grab that brake the first time, you realize what a bad idea that was as you flip over the bar. I've done it. The kid did it and was the reason he fell the first time when he rode. Is it an impossible obstacle to overcome with time and practice... NO.

Tasking that kid with a century at 6 months was out of line. And even the kid was right about the risk... about injuring his arm if he fell and not being able to finish the program. Yet he did fall, he still completed a goal on a bike later, and it was a good thing. He can go on to become very comfortable on a bike, and who knows how far he can go. Perhaps he will start his own charity century for obese kids... who knows.

I was actually more upset at the seeming lack of knowledge about riding on the shows part. That they did not show him the mechanics of what he has to do.... or that the last thing you do in a fall is stick your arm out... good way to break it. I would like to think they trained him on how he should be falling with out an arm... perhaps they did. It wasn't until later in the show they had the bike with the VERY tall riser bar set up to give him better seating. Who knows, but the whole thing hit me very odd... even though cycling is very good due to no impact, and a century seems more reasonable in my mind, than the Biggest Looser doing a marathon at so many weeks.

But as usual, YMMV

Edited by powerman 2013-06-27 11:47 AM
2013-06-29 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, I thought I explained myself, but apparently not. A stand out high school athlete that then fell in love with cycling... then was in an accident, then went on the the Para Olympics.... yes, that sounds exactly like a boy that had always been obese, never rode a bike and was tasked with doing a century at 6 months into an extreme weight loss program.

When I said I can't, it's because I don't "have" to. I have carried stuff before, and when you grab that brake the first time, you realize what a bad idea that was as you flip over the bar. I've done it. The kid did it and was the reason he fell the first time when he rode. Is it an impossible obstacle to overcome with time and practice... NO.

Tasking that kid with a century at 6 months was out of line. And even the kid was right about the risk... about injuring his arm if he fell and not being able to finish the program. Yet he did fall, he still completed a goal on a bike later, and it was a good thing. He can go on to become very comfortable on a bike, and who knows how far he can go. Perhaps he will start his own charity century for obese kids... who knows.

I was actually more upset at the seeming lack of knowledge about riding on the shows part. That they did not show him the mechanics of what he has to do.... or that the last thing you do in a fall is stick your arm out... good way to break it. I would like to think they trained him on how he should be falling with out an arm... perhaps they did. It wasn't until later in the show they had the bike with the VERY tall riser bar set up to give him better seating. Who knows, but the whole thing hit me very odd... even though cycling is very good due to no impact, and a century seems more reasonable in my mind, than the Biggest Looser doing a marathon at so many weeks.

But as usual, YMMV

Why do you hate the handicapped?
2013-07-01 2:05 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I love this show and watch it on the weekends for my long bike ride workouts since it is 2hrs long.
2013-07-03 5:55 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
To be honest, I hadn't even heard of it until I read this thread. I tivo'd it last night and am watching it now--I agree with some above comments, I like the lack of drama, and also the lack of product placement and "psychology" talks that seem to be ubiquitous with BL. I think I will continue to watch it.

2013-07-03 6:56 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Elite
I'm not a "big" watcher. I saw a couple episodes last season... but I agree, drama free and no contests is a pretty good thing. Last night was the married couple with some past marital problems, but no major Dr. Phil moments and the relentless breakthrough moments. Dude even had a few melt downs but they just went on. It's a pretty good show, and the results are very nice over a year.
2013-07-25 9:32 AM

User image

bumping, since I finally actually watched this the other night for the first time...while it was motivational (to the fact that someone kill me if I ever put on that kind of weight) - IDK...I hope that they do a reunion/follow-up down the line - I would love to know if she keeps it off, since admittedly stress eating (and the fact that she managed to put 25lbs back on in a month time period) was a huge killer for her

I also loved that her co-workers joined in - and some of them lost huge amounts of weight...one of the nurses lost like 100lbs, but on the other end, there was one who was in the 400lb range, who only lost 14lbs and I was like...uhhhh....

next weeks episode looks to be a drama-lama fest with the family
2013-07-25 9:55 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
So you guys have peeked my interest- I will DVR it.
2013-07-25 11:19 AM

User image

Elite

Murbod (SP?) was cool. He was a real yo-yo. Up and down in big chunks. Last night, shoot, I already forgot her name... that was more of what I do not like.

She was always complaining about stress. She put that HUGE amount of weight back on... 32 pounds on 30 days... and then they had to do their big "break through" moment with her talking about stress eating and Chris "getting it out" of her.... but that was at month 11. I'm sorry, month 11 should not be about the same lame excuses you were using when you started.

At least from watching the season, I am getting the big picture that over time... over a year.. you are going to have some set backs. And all these "excuses" are real world problems that these people have, and have to overcome. Hopefully someone can get some inspiration from that and think if those people can do it maybe they can.

I liked Chris's line... I forget exactly... "you can fail without being a failure". I took that to mean just because you have a setback, don't throw in the towel.

And ya... I felt really bad for the 400 lb. lady. you could tell she had some serious issues, and it was like "what the heck?"... she should be on the show, they should be helping her. IDK.

And one last thing... I do not know anything about Chris Powell, and I know it's a TV show... but I really get the sense Chris is genuine. He seems like a nice guy that really wants to help. He's a good host.

2013-07-25 12:24 PM

User image

Murbod (SP?) was cool. He was a real yo-yo. Up and down in big chunks. Last night, shoot, I already forgot her name... that was more of what I do not like.

She was always complaining about stress. She put that HUGE amount of weight back on... 32 pounds on 30 days... and then they had to do their big "break through" moment with her talking about stress eating and Chris "getting it out" of her.... but that was at month 11. I'm sorry, month 11 should not be about the same lame excuses you were using when you started.

At least from watching the season, I am getting the big picture that over time... over a year.. you are going to have some set backs. And all these "excuses" are real world problems that these people have, and have to overcome. Hopefully someone can get some inspiration from that and think if those people can do it maybe they can.

I liked Chris's line... I forget exactly... "you can fail without being a failure". I took that to mean just because you have a setback, don't throw in the towel.

And ya... I felt really bad for the 400 lb. lady. you could tell she had some serious issues, and it was like "what the heck?"... she should be on the show, they should be helping her. IDK.

And one last thing... I do not know anything about Chris Powell, and I know it's a TV show... but I really get the sense Chris is genuine. He seems like a nice guy that really wants to help. He's a good host.

Chris does seem genuine and I like the fact that he comes and goes - he isn't there all day every day helping them out - it is relying more on their want to succeed/willpower - vice having someone there every step of the way holding their hand (cough, biggest loser ranch)...

"you can fail without being a failure" - I missed that line, but its soo true - on a couple of other social media sites i'm on - ppl talk about losing weight and goals, and the number of times, I hear one of them say, well I ate so and so today...and because I did that, I just wrote off the entire day and ate everything bad for me as possible...just irks me...if you fall off the wagon, that's cool - but get back on, don't write off the entire day because of it

2013-07-25 2:14 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by austhokie

Chris does seem genuine and I like the fact that he comes and goes - he isn't there all day every day helping them out - it is relying more on their want to succeed/willpower - vice having someone there every step of the way holding their hand (cough, biggest loser ranch)... "you can fail without being a failure" - I missed that line, but its soo true - on a couple of other social media sites i'm on - ppl talk about losing weight and goals, and the number of times, I hear one of them say, well I ate so and so today...and because I did that, I just wrote off the entire day and ate everything bad for me as possible...just irks me...if you fall off the wagon, that's cool - but get back on, don't write off the entire day because of it

Exactly.

And I guess what I meant to say was that I'm glad the show showcases these setbacks. That they do not hide them and that it may be what happens for some, but thet over time, you will come out ahead. And that ya, over a year of time, you are going to see these up and downs, not like being at the ranch for a few months. For some that may seem impossible. That they can't do it unless they are at a ranch with 24/7 care. these folks do it at home, albeit with a ton of help... but weight loss over time at home seems more atainable for some.

2013-07-25 4:28 PM

User image

not that I wouldn't mind Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper to come and whip me into shape...seeing what they do at BLR...imagine the pain they could put fit ppl through...

I ran into an article while surfing the other day - one of the former competitors on Biggest Loser is being sued for breach of contract because she put like 15lbs back on while training for Kona...which she finished in like 12 hours...she looks remarkably healthy and fit, but because she gained weight...I'm really hoping the judge who gets it, takes a look and tells the company to stop smoking crack!
2013-07-25 5:04 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by austhokie not that I wouldn't mind Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper to come and whip me into shape...seeing what they do at BLR...imagine the pain they could put fit ppl through... I ran into an article while surfing the other day - one of the former competitors on Biggest Loser is being sued for breach of contract because she put like 15lbs back on while training for Kona...which she finished in like 12 hours...she looks remarkably healthy and fit, but because she gained weight...I'm really hoping the judge who gets it, takes a look and tells the company to stop smoking crack!

SAY WHAT!

On one show... this lady was about to pass out. The medics came over, they got all dramatic... but she was just getting her but whooped... well Bob talked about how much he loved his job... how he got to get up every day and inflict a heap of pain on other people... "You're OK, get up, give me ten." It was really funny. Laughing

I do like Jillian and Bob, but Extreme has a different flavor than TBL and I like it.

2013-07-25 6:43 PM

User image

Originally posted by austhokie not that I wouldn't mind Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper to come and whip me into shape...seeing what they do at BLR...imagine the pain they could put fit ppl through... I ran into an article while surfing the other day - one of the former competitors on Biggest Loser is being sued for breach of contract because she put like 15lbs back on while training for Kona...which she finished in like 12 hours...she looks remarkably healthy and fit, but because she gained weight...I'm really hoping the judge who gets it, takes a look and tells the company to stop smoking crack!

SAY WHAT!

On one show... this lady was about to pass out. The medics came over, they got all dramatic... but she was just getting her but whooped... well Bob talked about how much he loved his job... how he got to get up every day and inflict a heap of pain on other people... "You're OK, get up, give me ten." It was really funny. Laughing

I do like Jillian and Bob, but Extreme has a different flavor than TBL and I like it.

here is one of the articles on it
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/tara-costa-biggest-...

Edited by austhokie 2013-07-25 6:43 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » So who watched "Extreme weight loss" last night? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss

Started by asianflava
Views: 824 Posts: 4

2012-07-09 11:14 AM dmbfan4life20

Anyone watch "Conan" last night?

Started by wstchstrTriathlete
Views: 967 Posts: 10

2010-11-12 9:35 AM condorman

Terrible shows you watched because your SO watched shows you watched because your SO watched

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 1580 Posts: 25

2008-12-19 9:01 AM hamiltks10

Movies: Night Watch, Day Watch

Started by briderdt
Views: 1070 Posts: 6

2008-02-12 9:38 AM briderdt

Anyone watch "Big Bang Theory" last night?

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 548 Posts: 8

2007-09-25 4:06 PM LusciousLIz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?