Toyota
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 10s
Overall Rank = ?/3200
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 283/346
Pre-race routine:

3:00AM - Had a whopping 1.5hr of nap...I mean sleep.
3:22AM - Finally managed to roll out of bed. Made oatmeal with raisins & bananas. Chugged it down with gatorade.
5:00AM - In my stuppor, I managed to drive up to 60-something street, just to go back down to park the car in the garage. Finally made it after a cab ride.
Event warmup:

No warm up. Started stretching slowly and consistently about an 1/2 before start.
Swim
  • 20m 39s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start is standing or holding on to a rope along side a small dock. the first waves had to hold on tight as the current was very strong but by the time my wave (28 of 30), got off, there was barely any to help us. The first wave (elites), went off at 5:50, I didn't get in until about 8:00AM UGGGHH!!
The water was as expected, a brownish color, temp was good, about 70F. I would have over-heated with a wet suit. I have no idea at this point if I was a BOP or what but for about the first 200m it seemed everyone was clammering over my back and legs, forcing me into an almost vertical position at times - there were a few zig-zagers here and there. Siting was best done by turning towards the wall which was marked about every 200m but the sun was in my eyes so I managed to see only the 900m mark. It didn't really matter since all I had to do was swim. I kept a surprisingly good line. The boats docked on the right side helped a bit. What surprised me even more was that at about 1,000m I actually caught up to the wave before me (white caps). I was shocked but it did put a smile on my face. I never dreamt MOI would catch up to another wave!! Still not sure if it's cause they were ready to give up or was I actually in the front of my pack? I have to find out somehow.

The kayakers did an awesome job. I could tell they were a bit short on people but they did a great job - I'm sure they were tired. They spent a good amount of time getting people to go back on the course. It started with the first wave of elites that went off course so much, they were actually swimming between the boats that were docked in the middle of the river. Luckly all seemed to go well and everyone got out. If anyone reading this is a kayaker in any meets KUDOS & THANK YOU TO YOU GUYS & GALS!! You guys are one of the unsung heros of these events.

The water exit was a ramp about 10ft. across, attached to a similar dock as how we got on the water. About 200m before the end the water turned from brown to complete black. It startled me. I looked up and quickly realized that all the sute (sp), was accumulating by the ramp. By about 10m from the ramp I could no longer swim cause my arms kept getting caught in the muck that was only inches from my face. I could not walk either (as I saw some guys before me try but failed), I was about thigh deep in the stuff, so I had to do a craw-like movement with my legs combined with a breast stroke. It was a struggle to make sure I kept my mouth shut as tight as possible at this point.
I never saw volunteers so afraid of touching us and so skeeved out from the black water. This was a first where they were afraid of getting wet (I DON'T BLAME THEM).
Luckly, as soon as we got off the dock there was a hose attached at the top of a fece spraying down at us. I stood under it for a good 2-3min. People must have thougth I was going to break out the shampoo and soap (believe me, I would have if someone would have had and offered).

The only real good thing about this water is that it did not stink. I think I would have passed out otherwise.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim on the Hudson!
Now that I think about it, I wonder if it really was the timing mat that was making all that beeping noise or was it a geiger counter?......things that make you go hmmmm!! :)
Transition 1
  • 08m 17s
Comments:

I'm satisfied with my T1 time cause of all the dirt I was happy to wash off and made sure I was prepared for the hot bike ride ahead me. I was getting hungry before my swim so I inhaled half the cinamon raisin bagel with PBJ I put in my bag in case (it served me well), & washed that down with some blue gatorade. As usual, I bought along 2 bottles specifically for washing off - they served me well too.

Not bring the blue gatorade. It smelled like old grapes or something like that - not good (had one bottle on the bike filled with this stuff). Have to try a different flavor - maybe the endurance stuff.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 44s
  • 25 miles
  • 17.29 mile/hr
Comments:

THE GOOD
Very nice ride. Mostly uphill on the way out, which provided a real challenge for me (and apparently all other clydesdales). The best view was crossing the Henry Hudson toll bridge. Was a very nice view and very high up. Crossing over to gunhill road was a bit hairy cause we already had some speed from a down hill but got really narrow (some guys got all shaky). I really wanted to go aero (especially in the downhills), but there was too many people & I didn't trust any them. Better safe than......

THE BAD
Very uphill on the way out. First, I was not on my bike nearly as much as I should have been. Second, I'm still a clydesdale and uphills are not my cup of tea. Need to work on this.

THE UGLY
I counted 3 dead rats and 1 dead possum on the way out. There was a distinct smell of something that had been dead for a while just before gun hill road on the way there which was still there on the return (HEY! IT'S THE BRONX!!). :) Mix that in with the old grape taste in my mouth and you get the idea of how I started to feel.
Oh yeah, counted 2 more dead rats and one more possum (dead of course) on the return.............AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE....
Back was hurting a bit from lack of enough core muscles. Triceps where killing me but that's from not riding enough too.

BIG TIME BONUS :)
On the way back, about 3mi from the bike finish I saw Sarah Reinersten. GO SARAH, GO!!! IT'S EDDIE!! She yelled back HEY EDDIE!!
(I had the great pleasure of meeting her at registration where she was only a few spots ahead of me. Then met her again at the expo where she happily took a picture me. Awesome spirited girl with a matching personality). Hope that by this time she doesn't think I was stalking her. :)

TRAIN MORE!! RIDE LOTS!!! and work on hills. Need some strenght on my legs. Got to do more core work.
Transition 2
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

Not much to say here. Would not really change anything either. Hydrated well (maybe a little too well), poured the last bottle of water on me and off I went.

Can't think of anything off hand.
Run
  • 70m 3s
  • 6 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm thinking I may have drank a bit too much before the end of the bike and during T2. My stomach was feeling a bit full and bloated.
Of course my cramps had to come along as usual. I had thought that by running more in prep for a 1/2 mary I was going to be OK but NOOO!!! I do recognized also, that it's in part due to not doing brick work and not being on the bike enough. Did one of those walk, run, walk routines shooting my time (and dreams), down to a heart crumbling, mega slow pace. My right inner quad was not in a good mood and refused to cooperate. There were times when I thought it had gone away like it did at St. A's but it was there till the end this time.
On the plus, I watered down really good at every water stop, since I knew the temps where way up but I was too over-heated to tell how hot. Poured about 3 cups whenever I could. Didn't always need to drink.

Brck work, run more, lift weights, stretch more.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a massage (which I had to wait about 20min for), and the girl I was hoping to avoid is the one I got (OF COURSE!). While waiting my turn I noticed her style extremely soft handed and her height (very short), would probably not allow here to be very effective on me. I needed any massage and was still greateful I got one for free to boot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did not workout enough and not do any bricks was the ultimate killer for my legs on the run.

Event comments:

If not for the black water, debri, the dead rats and dead possums on the bike course, the walk from the finish back to transition, this race would be one I would look forward to doing again. The course was challenging for me but worth the while (with the exception of the above).
Would I do it again! Right now I say ABSOLUTELY NOT!! But I do know myself for forgetting and forgiving too easily with time. I like the course but there are "things" on the course I was not crazy about. I give this race a rating of 2 but my opinion of this may change in the future. How easily we forget.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-10-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:39 | 1500 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/346
Overall: 0/3200
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Point to point from 99th Street, down to 79th Street ramp.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:26:44 | 25 miles | 17.29 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out & back to the Bronx, along the Henry Hudson (they closed it for us). :)
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 04:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:70:03 | 06 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Point to point along 72nd street, thru the north of central park, ending somewhere around the 60th street level.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-07-18 1:13 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: New York City Triathlon
So whatcha guys & gals think? :)

Edited by cobannero 2006-07-18 1:14 AM

2006-07-18 8:06 AM
in reply to: #485730

Subject: RE: Ford New York City Triathlon
Eddie,

Good job on a challenging race. Should set you up well for the rest of the season.
2006-07-18 8:15 AM

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca
Great race report and great job dealing with some unsavory elements.  Sounds like a race I would like to do, just to say I did a tri in New York.
2006-07-18 8:27 AM
in reply to: #485810

User image

Elite
New City, New York
good job Eddie and good honest RR. For all the reasons you mention I will never do NYC.  It seems they piggy back off the reputation of the Marathon.  Maybe be a good idea for out of towners who can combine it w/ some sightseeing but  I'd rather drive a little further and get more pristine race conditions.  For instance, I was in Quakertown PA at a beatuiful venue on the same day. I commend you for doing it but it'll make you appreciatte place like Harriman even more.
2006-07-18 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Great race! Nice job pushing through the heat during the run at the end of the race. The day just got hotter and hotter.

I also noticed all of the dead rats on the bike course and meant to mention them in my race report.

Congratulations!

2006-07-18 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Nice job sticking it out.  It was super hot out.

Kudos to you for swimming in the Hudson.  I grew up in NJ and would never have the nerve to swim there.

2006-07-19 3:21 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I'm surprised as well I actually jumped in that river. That's what I get for living in Brooklyn and never visiting the Hudson. It was actually my first time standing there to see the water. I always have seen it thru a car window doing 60mph.
2006-07-20 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn, NY
Great Race report.

I was in the 8 am wave as well. I am a solid BOP (and then some) swimmer so I definitely was not clambering over your legs and back.

I completely forgot the "Dead thing" smell just before the E. Gun Hill rd turn. It was bad the first time but knowing I was gonna hit it again made it even worse.

I am a fan of Sarah Reinertsen. I Have her runner's world magazine cover on my desk and I watch the 2005 Ironman DVD on a regular basis. I saw her on the run and at the finish and said hello. I didn't think to ask for a picture when I saw her at the finish.

Great Picture. I am sure I saw you out there on the run.

2006-07-20 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
You are a brave man getting into that water. Years ago I was stationed on a ship at Governors Island and saw some pretty nasty things in the water. Great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Triathlon Rss Feed