General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Competitor Group
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 15s
Overall Rank = 602/1291
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 57/106
Pre-race routine:

This was my first triathlon so I didn't have a routine. Up at 4:00am and ate some cereal and banana. Met a friend and left the house at 4:30a and have coffee and soft pretzel on the way to the event. I was fully saturated from hydrating the previous day so I just kept sipping on some Powerade. Arrived at the event, set-up transition, went to swim start and proceeded to wait.
Event warmup:

Primarily stretching and reminding myself to keep calm and relaxed in the water.
Swim
  • 28m 32s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was glad it was wetsuit legal. I was prepared to go without but the extra level of mental security was appreciated. The current appeared to be very low. The kayakers barely moved in the water. In general I couldn't ask for a better first triathlon swim. The TT start was great, marked great, no chop and very little contact. I really took it easy. I wanted to ensure that I did not get myself out of breath during the swim. It worked. I exited the water barely breathing hard.
What would you do differently?:

Now that I know what to expect, I would push harder in similar conditions. I could have swam more with intensity. It was a really good swim for me since I am new to swimming.
Transition 1
  • 06m 42s
Comments:

This was my biggest problem area. I got severe ab and hamstring cramps for unknown reasons. I spent nearly 4 mins strteching. The guy next to me thought I was having a heart attack and kept offering to get medical. Don't know what happened but I thought I might DNF. Fortunately I worked out the cramps and slowly finished the transition.

Not sure. I may have screwed up my hydration with way too much water leading into the event. I need to figure this out. This cost me 4 mins which is huge.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 25s
  • 40 kms
  • 30.65 km/hr
Comments:

Bike felt good. I started out cautiosly because of the cramps in T1 but did not feel them so I opened up. This was my planned pace so I was ok with the results. Allot of riders out of position (on the left) which was a pain since I was trying to avoid passing on right and drafting penalties.

I would ride about 10% harded next time.
Transition 2
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

Good transition until port-o-pot stop. I urinated for over 2 mins and this more than doubled my T2. T1 and T2 "issues" added over 6 mins to my time.

Need to fix hydration issues to avoid transition delays.
Run
  • 53m 31s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 23s  min/km
Comments:

Run was good until I hit the sun. I mostly run on a treadmill to preserve my knees. I do have experience running in the heat, but the last couple miles took it out of me. My pace dropped significantly.

More running in the sun? Not sure.
Post race
Warm down:

Little stretching and driinking. Not too much

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience and I have to sort out the reason for the cramping and hydrate more effectively.

Event comments:

Nothing to compare it to but I thought it was run great. A couple little nits but nothing worth mentioning. Very pleased with my first tri. I wanted to be sub-3 hours and finished 2:51. Without the T1 and T2 issues I could have easily been 5 or 6 minutes faster so I am pleased.

Last updated: 2013-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:32 | 1500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/106
Overall: 698/1291
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: 1400m down stream and 100 m accross to the swim exit.
Start type: Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:42
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:25 | 40 kms | 30.65 km/hr
Overall: 455/1291
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two laps of mostly flat with four hills on each lap. Mostly good streets with some potholes and expansion joints to contend with.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:03
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:31 | 10 kms | 05m 23s  min/km
Overall: 531/1291
Performance: Average
Course: Flat and shady for first 4 miles. Some grass to run through. Hot, humid and sunny from miles 4 to 6. Wow, what a difference.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-27 8:06 AM

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Subject: TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course

2013-06-27 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4789235

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course
Nice job on your first triathlon. Congrats!

You learn something with every race. And yes, the run course does get warm, which is why I did the volunteer station under the bridge
2013-06-27 9:45 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Thanks for the drinks Brian. I hit every water station for a sip or two of water after mile 4 because of the sun, heat and humidity.

I neglected to mention that the volunteers were great and were constantly encouraging the athletes. Very much appreciated.
2013-06-27 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4789235

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Really impressive for your first triathlon. Sounds like you enjoyed it! Congrats on a great race.
2013-06-27 11:02 AM
in reply to: davidamitchell

User image

Thanks and, yes, I did enjoy it. Don't know if was nerves, excitement or both but I found myself smiling allot and talking with other bikers and runners on the course. Already looking forward to my next Tri in September and a new challenge - an ocean swim.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course

Started by gadzooks
Views: 1796 Posts: 5

2013-06-27 6:16 PM Fred D

TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course

Started by konichiwa
Views: 1612 Posts: 4

2013-07-10 3:43 PM weds19

TriRock Philadelphia - Sprint Course

Started by gregrueb
Views: 983 Posts: 1

2013-06-24 10:17 AM gregrueb

Started by YeaJackson
Views: 1359 Posts: 1

2013-06-23 9:54 PM YeaJackson

Started by drcherrybomb21
Views: 1491 Posts: 1

2013-06-23 9:30 PM drcherrybomb21
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.