General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-28 10:25 PM

User image

Subject: Swim Coach
Newbie looking for a good triathalon swim coach in Palm Beach/Broward County. Basic stuff. Any recommendations?

2013-06-29 8:21 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

New user
Central Florida
Subject: RE: Swim Coach
I'm in Central Florida, where I've got an awesome swim coach. However, when I've done a race in south Florida, I received a flyer for a TI coach named Gary Fahey. He goes by the name of the Stroke Doctor, teaching clinics, lessons, open water, and video analysis. Never taken any of his classes or had any involvement with him, but I'm sure there are some south Florida BTers that know more about him.

2013-06-29 7:25 PM
in reply to: Running_FF

User image

Yes, he's mentioned down here in what I've run across. Considering a lesson or two to get started. Do you find lessons helpful?
2013-07-01 7:41 AM

User image

New user
Central Florida
I'm in Central Florida, and have a swim coach up here that teaches a combination of Total Immersion and Swim Smooth. It is kind of the best of both worlds for the most part. As such, I have not been down to the Broward area to take any of Gary's classes. I am part of a national tri team, so I'll put up a message on the south Florida group to see if anyone down there has taken any of the Stroke Doctor's classes. If so, I'll post their reply here for you.
2013-07-03 10:03 AM

User image

That's great. National team! That's amazing. How long have you been doing triathlons?
2013-07-04 2:05 PM

User image

New user
Central Florida
Actually not long at all. I've been running since Feb 2011. Then Dec 2012, I started training for a sprint tri. I have completed 2 sprints this year with plans for an international in a 2 months.

No replies about the Stroke Doctor's class yet.

2013-07-05 11:16 AM

User image

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I'm really surprised he's not called back. I've left 2 voicemails. Odd. Good luck at your next event.
2013-07-06 6:29 PM

User image

I've done lessons with Gary. I've done group clinincs in Miami where I always learn something and also I've done a private lesson with him. He's good - in fact I credit him with changing my position in the water which made a huge improvement in just one lesson. If I remember though I did have a similar experience setting up my first appointment with him that he's hard to reach.
2013-07-07 9:10 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Thanks. I'll keep trying, then!
2013-07-08 3:33 PM

User image

Brilliant advice! Third time's a charm. Sent him an email and got a pretty prompt reply. He'd been having some email and voicemail glitches. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Gary
2013-07-11 2:52 PM

User image

Amy,

I've got a lesson set up for next week. I've got high hopes. Thanks again.

Gary

2013-07-14 7:23 PM

User image

Good. I look forward to hearing about it after.
2013-07-17 8:48 PM

User image

Swim lesson was good. Solid hour of work. Good feedback. Nice interaction. Thanks again for the endorsement.

Excited to try it all out afterward, but still, it's a lot of change and a lot to work on. Hoping that some consistent work between now and September 1 race day will pay off. Probably will have one more lesson in a few weeks to refine things and get some more feedback and instruction.

Also, he suggested a different use of my swim workout time than what I've been doing, which makes me feel a little uncertain. My typical workout consists of about 900 - 1000 yds. One day, I do short intervals (50's, 100's) for speed. One day, I do medium intervals (200's) and focus on stroke work and strength. One day, I do longer intervals (500's) to work on endurance and race-condition lengths. He suggested instead that I break my yardage down into smaller chunks and dedicate sets to focusing on each of the different elements he taught me (e.g., "soft hands", proper entry of leading arm, proper exit on the backside, coordination of movement, etc.).

Any thoughts?
2013-07-23 6:25 PM

New user

Who do you use in Central Florida? I am in Oviedo and need some help.
2013-08-02 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4791175

User image

I'm glad you had a good lesson. I'm not a swim coach so I can't speak about breaking up the intervals or whether its good or bad. I do think that like all things his way is not the only way. So for example Gary is a huge proponent of not doing kicking sets. I ignore him on this because I train mostly with a masters coach who believes in kicking and he's convinced me of its worth. So I say take what's good and what works but if something he says or does doesn't fit don't do it.

I saw immediate return from my lesson with Gary although I felt a little like a turtle floundering in the water for a few days trying it on my own. But one thing he told me to work on (breathing earlier) I'm still working on. So I think some things click right away and some take a while.
2013-08-02 9:44 AM

User image

Originally posted by miamiamy

I'm glad you had a good lesson. I'm not a swim coach so I can't speak about breaking up the intervals or whether its good or bad. I do think that like all things his way is not the only way. So for example Gary is a huge proponent of not doing kicking sets. I ignore him on this because I train mostly with a masters coach who believes in kicking and he's convinced me of its worth. So I say take what's good and what works but if something he says or does doesn't fit don't do it.

I saw immediate return from my lesson with Gary although I felt a little like a turtle floundering in the water for a few days trying it on my own. But one thing he told me to work on (breathing earlier) I'm still working on. So I think some things click right away and some take a while.

Interesting. He said the same thing to me about kicking! I wasn't doing any kick work anyway, so I was o.k. with his recommendation (for now). Definitely get the turtle reference, but I've been working on a lot of the elements of the FS stroke in 50's and 100's, and it's starting to feel more natural. I'm seeing improvements and that's encouraging, and I'm starting to be able to self-evaluate mid-lap and make changes or talk myself through modifications and reminders. That feels like improvement.

Gary's big into "extending to breath" from the lats. He recommended the catch-up drill, which I found to be very helpful with my breath timing (e.g., not pushing down with the lead arm, but instead extending and rotating to breath). It tends to fall apart, though, when my body starts to fatigue. Have to keep reminding myself.

I'm watching his videos and trying to time it during the catch-and-pull, but am still unsure when is optimal. You said you are trying to breath earlier? Can you tell me more about that? When in your stroke to you rotate to breathe?

There is so much instruction out there. Seems like there are basic swimming conventions that any instructor would focus on, and then there are triathlon-specific conventions that might differ from what a classic swim instructor would emphasize. OWS training presents additional challenges, too -- i.e., like how to throw-up and keep swimming -- I read your race report -- you are tough! Is your masters instructor USAT or triathlon-focused?

BTW, congrats on your IM! That's really inspirational. What's next on your race calendar?

Gary

2013-08-03 3:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Central Florida
Originally posted by pbeckman

Who do you use in Central Florida? I am in Oviedo and need some help.

His name is Mark with Water Exercise Technologies. He has a webpage, which is easy enough to find through Google. He teaches at a pool in College Park. Days and times vary. He'll let you know the schedule by e-mail or phone, whichever route you contact him by.

Sorry, didn't see who you were asking the question of until I was re-reading this thread.

Edited by Running_FF 2013-08-03 3:46 PM
2013-08-08 4:10 PM

User image

When I met with Gary he told me I should breathe earlier so more toward when my recovering hand is just coming out of the water than when it's going back in. My current swim coach is I think telling me something related which is to make sure I don't start my pull until the recovering hand is going in by my head. I think it's all the extension stuff but I don't quite have the timing down. I swim at Gulliver Swim Club so they are just swimming - but a lot of their masters folks are triathletes.

Thanks for the positive feedback on my race. Next up is Escape to Miami.
2013-08-10 9:20 PM

User image

Similar feedback on swim and when to breathe: as the front arm is getting to full extension which goes with the rotation, and the recovering arm is flaring out and "slipping out" of the water. I had a great workout the other day working on that. Of course, I'm not yet working on speed, so it's easier to implement at slower speed. Gary also talked about timing of the two sides: talks about it being like swinging from monkey bar to monkey bar. I've got another lesson this week, so we'll see how I'm doing!

Cheers.

Gary
2013-08-30 8:43 AM

User image

Monkey bars - that is how it feels. What a great idea. Of course, I'm not that great at monkey bars either. Hmmm...
2013-09-03 9:46 PM

User image

Time to hit the playground for a refresher course!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Coach Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for swim coach - Fernandina Beach

Started by tkelsay
Views: 916 Posts: 1

2009-08-28 10:42 AM tkelsay

Swim Coaches in Jax FL

Started by Jaxboater
Views: 1143 Posts: 3

2009-02-23 2:27 PM mrakes1

Good Swim Coach in Ft. Lauderdale / Pompano Area

Started by Ikanuba
Views: 1136 Posts: 2

2009-02-11 12:19 PM Mimir98

Know of a Swim Coach in Tampa Area?

Started by trimore
Views: 997 Posts: 3

2008-03-07 8:46 AM trimore

Looking for a Tampa swim coach

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 623 Posts: 2

2007-09-17 12:56 PM rbschlesinger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : July 17, 2005
I highly recommend hiring a coach, if you are a beginner or just looking to become a better swimmer.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.
date : August 31, 2004
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.

date : August 31, 2004
Interval training is used to describe the system of multiple repeat swims used in most swim training programs. The best way to improve aerobic endurance is through short rest periods.