General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I wrong to be irritated here.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-01 1:20 PM
in reply to: ratherbesnowboarding

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Am I wrong to be irritated here....

Originally posted by ratherbesnowboarding

Second - Im a big proponent of racing in the right category. If the guy who won could have qualified for clyde - then (IMO) he shouldve raced clyde and not AG. In short, if he had raced in the 'right' category, then you wouldve come in second regardless. So Im not sure your gripe is here. Basically a guy who shouldve been in your category beat you. So what if that guy had registered Clyde form the start?  

But he didn't register Clyde - that's the whole point - that he had a choice and didn't. Switching categories to benefit yourself after the fact, and the RD allowing it, is unethical at best. Not to mention against the RD's own rules.

For a group that is pretty stickler about rules I'm surprised at some of the responses.

2013-07-01 1:29 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by lisac957

Second - Im a big proponent of racing in the right category. If the guy who won could have qualified for clyde - then (IMO) he shouldve raced clyde and not AG. In short, if he had raced in the 'right' category, then you wouldve come in second regardless. So Im not sure your gripe is here. Basically a guy who shouldve been in your category beat you. So what if that guy had registered Clyde form the start?  

But he didn't register Clyde - that's the whole point - that he had a choice and didn't. Switching categories to benefit yourself after the fact, and the RD allowing it, is unethical at best. Not to mention against the RD's own rules.

For a group that is pretty stickler about rules I'm surprised at some of the responses.

I'd bet some of their responses would be different if it happened to them. The OP should put this on ST and see what they have to say.

As somebody else said, this isn't forgetting a name, or giving the wrong medal or some other 'error'. This isn't an 'error'. This is flat out changing the race categories so not only one person win, but also his friend winning the other category. This is just another form of cheating that the RD is allowing.
2013-07-01 1:33 PM
in reply to: guppie58

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Email the RD, be respectful but tell him your thoughts on the situation. Won't change anything this time but you will likely feel better and it might make him think twice about doing it next time. 

I think I would mention body marking if it was done. If you had seen a C run by you you would have been given the opportunity to chase which is the point of the category markings on the calves. 

2013-07-01 1:39 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by guppie58

I'd bet some of their responses would be different if it happened to them. The OP should put this on ST and see what they have to say. As somebody else said, this isn't forgetting a name, or giving the wrong medal or some other 'error'. This isn't an 'error'. This is flat out changing the race categories so not only one person win, but also his friend winning the other category. This is just another form of cheating that the RD is allowing.

What could they possibly say?  It's completely wrong, but it's over.  To me it's just best to be happy with the race you ran and move on to the next race.  If the RD doesn't care about making it right then don't race there next year....but I wouldn't spend much time being irritated about it because you don't really have any recourse.  Like it or not, it's part of the sport.....thankfully a small part.

2013-07-01 1:43 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by guppie58

I'd bet some of their responses would be different if it happened to them. The OP should put this on ST and see what they have to say. As somebody else said, this isn't forgetting a name, or giving the wrong medal or some other 'error'. This isn't an 'error'. This is flat out changing the race categories so not only one person win, but also his friend winning the other category. This is just another form of cheating that the RD is allowing.

The types of the responses would be the same, and I'd guess in very much the same ratio. 

The RD made a bad call, and it feels bad to the OP.  Totally get that.  But in the grand scheme of things, what does it matter?  The OP knows how he did. 

Medals are cheap.  If you do this for the trinkets (and I am NOT saying the OP does), you ain't got your mind right.  If it makes you mad, let it fuel you, and kickazz the next race.  And the one after that.  And the one after that. Whatever, just go get after it.

2013-07-01 1:46 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
That's horrible, and I really do feel for you, but just remember that not all RD's are bad.

For example, in my very first triathlon (Lake Powell triathlon) I entered the Athena division, and halfway through the 5k run course, another Athena runner came up onto my shoulder and started chatting with me. After a couple of minutes she mentioned that she was trying to complete her first ever non-stop continuously-running 5k run, and would I possibly help her. As I was run/walking the course, I panted "sure, I'll help as long as my lungs and legs hold out", and off we went. She really started struggling up a slight hill and said she had to stop, but at that moment I saw a sign that I recognised from doing a reconnaissance-drive-through the night before the race. I started pointing and shouting like a mad-worman "Fish Cleaning Station, Fish Cleaning Station, you can't stop now, we're only half a mile to the finish!". I pleaded, begged and cheered her up that hill, saying that we'd see the finish line at the top of the hill, and thank goodness I was right, as there was the finish line, looking like the Pearly Gates of Heaven in the cold and rain. With hands linked and raised, we crossed that finishing line together. Later on, my name got called as having won 3rd place in the Athena division (my one and only podium position), and when I checked the times my running partner had come in only 1/10th of second after me. I tried looking for her and her husband to give her the medal, as without her I would never have got to the finishing line in the time that I did, but alas they'd headed out. I emailed the RD asking if my medal could be sent to her, and I knew that they couldn't give me her address, but I'd send back my medal to them. The RD instantly responded, saying that I should keep my medal as I'd earned it, but they would send another bronze medal to my running partner, with a note of explanation. 2 weeks later he emailed me back, saying she'd received it, that she had smiled and also cried, and wanted to thank me for making that day so special. The RD could not have been faster or kinder, and I'll always remember that. Hopefully you'll have one of the nice RDs in your next race, but we'll remember that you won that race. In fact, you rocked it!!!!!

2013-07-01 2:00 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
you should be irritated and it is rather unethical.

if its a wave start you really should not be competing against people not in your wave anyways. Kinda defeats on of the reasons for a wave start to begin with.
2013-07-01 2:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

Selective editing....

I dont agree with the guy being able to switch and I think the RD made a huge mistake in allowing it, which is why I said *I* would never run this race. As far as I'm concerned, the OP won the category....
My point on this was what if the 'winner' HAD registered as a clyde from the beginning (which IMO he should have been), would the OP be OK with coming in second to a guy that also would have been first in AG. If the answer is no, then that is the point I was trying to make. As I said - this has a very similar tone to the old arguments in the C/A thread about 'in-shape' clydes taking away medals. Granted there hasnt been that much since the weight limit was increased this year, but this is a gripe I've heard too many times. Let me put it this way - if the RD had let 'winner' switch his category before the OP's name was announced, would the OP be upset with his second place finish? I would hope not because thats still a great accomplishment and he wouldnt have known about the switch. He's only upset because he thought he came in first and didnt because the RD allowed a post race switch (and rightfully so), not because his time was incorrect and therefore he wouldve placed higher overall. As Kido has said many times in C/A, your place in the race only depends on who else shows up.
Basically, Im asking for a little introspective here.
If the OP feels that he would be OK coming in second to someone who registered as clyde at the beginning of the race who also wouldve won AG (not one who switched categories at the end to better his position), then my point is moot.

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2013-07-01 2:45 PM
2013-07-01 3:07 PM

User image

I get that it's totally F'ed up, that the RD is compeltely in the wrong, that it's slimy, against the rules, blah blah blah

My response comes from the point of view that he complained to the RD and basically got an "FU".  Other competitor could care less what you think.  So, hold onto the anger, get all worked up in a lather, cause yourself unnecessary stress, bore your friends with your constant rants about "that race" and "that RD", while the RD goes on happily with his life.  

Or......

Vent a little, laugh it off, go have a beer, don't sign up again.  No one died.  No one got sick.  You got cheated out of a clyde first place medal (i might even say "gypped"    ), not an Olympic gold medal, or a nobel prize, cash money, or a qualifying slot at any other race (all of whch would deserve higher levels of outrage)

2013-07-01 3:10 PM

User image

Expert

This^^^^ It WAS wrong. and I don't think there is anything wrong with posting it here. I am assuming you've had your vent, and have moved on already. I don't think the lectures are really warranted at this point. 

Were it me, or if it happened to my kid, I'd be bummed. Prolly come here to tell the story. And hope for a bit of empathy. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-07-01 3:16 PM
2013-07-01 3:19 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

Master
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by KateTri1

This^^^^ It WAS wrong. and I don't think there is anything wrong with posting it here. I am assuming you've had your vent, and have moved on already. I don't think the lectures are really warranted at this point. 

Were it me, or if it happened to my kid, I'd be bummed. Prolly come here to tell the story. And hope for a bit of empathy. 

In addition to which, the guy who switched wasn't registered in the wrong category and switched to the right one. He was registered in the category he chose.

2013-07-01 3:23 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by ChrisM

I get that it's totally F'ed up, that the RD is compeltely in the wrong, that it's slimy, against the rules, blah blah blah

My response comes from the point of view that he complained to the RD and basically got an "FU".  Other competitor could care less what you think.  So, hold onto the anger, get all worked up in a lather, cause yourself unnecessary stress, bore your friends with your constant rants about "that race" and "that RD", while the RD goes on happily with his life.  

Or......

Vent a little, laugh it off, go have a beer, don't sign up again.  No one died.  No one got sick.  You got cheated out of a clyde first place medal (i might even say "gypped"    ), not an Olympic gold medal, or a nobel prize, cash money, or a qualifying slot at any other race (all of whch would deserve higher levels of outrage)

Or.....

We go kick the RD's ! 

j/k

I know OP can still feel the sting but in the long run, that's makes for a great/funny story.  Might take a few beers though before you feel like laughing about it.

2013-07-01 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4791492

User image

Bethany, Illinois
After a couple days have passed I'm laughing it off. Like many of you have said its just a medal and nothing to get worked up about, I give all of them to my 4 year old to play with anyways.
2013-07-01 3:34 PM
in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Master
Originally posted by tricrazy

In addition to which, the guy who switched wasn't registered in the wrong category and switched to the right one. He was registered in the category he chose.

I agree completely - What the rd did was wrong in allowing the switch.

I'm playing the 'what if' game. I know what he originally did not register as Clyde. I am asking what if he did. Would the op be upset with coming in second. I understand my post is slightly off topic but I am curious how the op would react. Is he just upset with the rd's rudeness and switch or just coming in second in general to a guy who also won the ag
2013-07-01 3:38 PM

User image

Bethany, Illinois

Originally posted by tricrazy

I agree completely - What the rd did was wrong in allowing the switch.

I'm playing the 'what if' game. I know what he originally did not register as Clyde. I am asking what if he did. Would the op be upset with coming in second. I understand my post is slightly off topic but I am curious how the op would react. Is he just upset with the rd's rudeness and switch or just coming in second in general to a guy who also won the ag

I would have been completely fine with someone in my own division beating me.
2013-07-01 3:39 PM
in reply to: cnixon83

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by cnixon83 After a couple days have passed I'm laughing it off. Like many of you have said its just a medal and nothing to get worked up about, I give all of them to my 4 year old to play with anyways.

Excellent :)

2013-07-01 4:06 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Just take satisfaction that anyone reading this thread who takes the time to read your race reports will be warned never to do that race or any others by that RD.

Thank you!

2013-07-01 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by cnixon83
I would have been completely fine with someone in my own division beating me.

Awesome. Thanks for responding.

Btw If I wasn't clear enough, I'd be pretty po'd as well and I'd never support that race or another event that rd is running . It stinks the rd changed the rules post race.
2013-07-01 6:34 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'm glad you feel better, but I would definitely still pursue this with the RD.  I am always very surprised how casually many RDs take things like timing results, which is kind of a big part of the event if promised.  I mean it's wonderful if any given person doesn't care WHAT the result is, to each their own, but if it's advertised it should be correct.  That includes putting people in the proper category and sorting out the order.

I would also make sure to say something because, in my experience, Athena and Clydes are treated very poorly like a joke category.  We get the awards last, they are screwed up 50% of the time, etc.  As a matter of principal and fellow "larger athlete" I wish you would at least inform the RD of what should happen.  I've had to correct the timing people and RD at a local race two years in a row to get my award.  The overall results are plainly correct, but their special "awards report" put the elite girls in Athena category.   

I still have a race outstanding where the first place Athena had a record breaking 8 mile run time.... on a course that was two loops.  Wonder what happened?  Yet, no one seems to care. I saw what the awards were, and I preferred the 2nd place award, so I took it and went home (and first place girl was gone, probably because she left EARLY). But I still feel the results in the books should be corrected.  

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-07-01 6:34 PM
2013-07-02 10:13 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Champion
Alabama

Another thread just triggered a thought.  After this incident you can boast that you are no longer a tri virgin.....cause your got f'....

Too soon?  :-)

2013-07-03 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by cnixon83

After a couple days have passed I'm laughing it off. Like many of you have said its just a medal and nothing to get worked up about, I give all of them to my 4 year old to play with anyways.

This might fit here... so I did a walking marathon with a friend in Minnesota in 2009. Before the marathon, I sent the RD an email asking if we could do a walk/run, which would involved MORE walking than running. He said that would be fine.

It was a very small marathon (12 total people, including us!), and when we finished and were offered medals for placing in our age groups. I told them we did a walk/run and didn't feel right taking the medals. So we were sent to a building where the finishers medals were and had to get ours out of a bag... which was pretty funny in itself.

Anyways, so I looked up the results later, and both my friend and I were DQ'ed! Instead of emailing the RD and getting all in a huff about him saying it would be OK and then DQ'ing us... I just laughed it off. In fact, I am rather proud of that DQ. It really was" the icing" on an already ridiculous first (and only) stand alone marathon story!

Random story? Maybe. Ha!

2013-07-03 9:57 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Expert

I'd be annoyed. I would write a letter to the RD stating your case. Send it. 

If he hears from someone after the fact, and the letter is thoughtful and straightforward, he might think twice about allowing something like that in the future. 

then.. move on. 

X2, I doubt at this point you are going to get anywhere with the RD. Respectfully vent your frustration in an email and move on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I wrong to be irritated here.... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Heart rate question - am i doing it wrong?

Started by salma
Views: 1025 Posts: 7

2006-01-31 4:50 PM Global

Trainer: What am I doing wrong?

Started by Rennick
Views: 999 Posts: 5

2005-12-14 12:46 PM CindyK

Cycling training: am i doing it all wrong? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2930 Posts: 27

2005-08-09 10:12 AM Renee

What am I doing wrong - swimming

Started by See Mom Run
Views: 1891 Posts: 20

2005-03-24 10:52 PM mikericci

HR on Run...Am I doing something wrong?

Started by swgtri
Views: 1514 Posts: 9

2005-02-24 10:51 AM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : July 5, 2005
author : bflrich
comments : 1
What makes the difference between success and failure is not how often you fall but how often you rise. Next time you’re chewing that second cookie and you realize it’s not what you planned on...STOP!