General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should I put for my swim time for upcoming pool tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-29 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: What should I put for my swim time for upcoming pool tri?
Hi, all. I have one week and one day until my first tri! I am super excited. It will be a 750m serpentine swim in a 50m pool. So, they want a time on an 800 yard TT to get everyone seeded correctly. I put in 18 minutes flat as I don't regularly have access to a pool that is in yards. I have done several 750 meter TTs and my best time is 16:52. Also I did a splash and dash a few weeks ago with a 500 yard swim and got a time of 9:56. My plan for the upcoming tri is to start out easy and speed up if and when I feel comfortable. I am pretty anxious about the serpentine swim. If you were me, what time would you enter for your 800 yard TT. They just extended the date to update the swim time so now I am way overthinking this. lol Thanks, everybody!

2013-06-29 4:58 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Subject: RE: What should I put for my swim time for upcoming pool tri?
Hi Margo,

750 m is 820 yards, and you said that your best at this distance was 16:52, so you might want to shorten your originally entered time by a minute?

I've never done a pool tri, so I'm afraid that I can't offer any sage advise on this. However, good luck, don't panic, and remember the most important thing in your first triathlon- HAVE FUN!
2013-06-29 5:09 PM
in reply to: wartho

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Originally posted by wartho

Hi Margo,

750 m is 820 yards, and you said that your best at this distance was 16:52, so you might want to shorten your originally entered time by a minute?

I've never done a pool tri, so I'm afraid that I can't offer any sage advise on this. However, good luck, don't panic, and remember the most important thing in your first triathlon- HAVE FUN!

I was kinda thinking the same thing about taking a minute off my time. I know need to relax as my goal is just to complete and enjoy the day. No chance if of placing at this stage of the game! Thanks for the reply.
2013-06-29 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4791523

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Definitely put in a quicker time. If the swim has you do two laps in a lane, then it can be harder to pass people.

Also practice going under the lane lines, especially when you are more tired.
2013-06-29 8:43 PM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Ok, I resubmitted my time for 17:00. Thanks for the advice on practicing going under the lane lines. It's those little things that I haven't thought to practice that will throw me off. I was thinking on the bike the other day that I haven't tried running with it in my bicycle shoes. I have spd cleats which are a real treat to walk in. I need to practice running the bike out to a pretend mount line to make sure I don't fall. That would totally suck!
2013-06-30 1:56 AM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Yeah, I always run like a duck in my Speedplay cleated shoes. I tend to go at a slow trot out to the bike mounting line. Grass is the easiest to run on with cleated shoes, asphalt is okay as it fairly rough, but concrete is..... interesting, and a bit slippy. I've never managed a flying leap onto my bike, as I always clip in my right shoe then take off. I have a few balance issues with my ears, which are noticeable after a long cold swim, and I don't trust myself to fall off at the mounting line. Not that I really care, but my body has had enough road rash in its life!

Try out flying leaps, clipping in first, and running in shoes-that-aren't-designed-to-run-(or that matter walk)-in.

Have fun

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should I put for my swim time for upcoming pool tri? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pool swim time vs OWS time

Started by cornick
Views: 1844 Posts: 16

2013-02-07 11:34 AM Boost Swimming

Estimating swim time for pool swim tri

Started by cstoulil
Views: 2073 Posts: 16

2011-03-15 1:30 AM tri808

Swim travel/prep time vs actual pool time Pages: 1 2

Started by agarose2000
Views: 2814 Posts: 32

2011-03-13 10:46 PM trigal38

Sprint Pool tri -- 100m swim times for seeding...

Started by MommyBelly
Views: 5293 Posts: 12

2008-06-11 3:24 PM MommyBelly

pool time vs. real tri time

Started by suziq_623
Views: 1107 Posts: 15

2006-03-27 3:25 PM camy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : June 10, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Training for a Tri!!! I get to treat my body as if it were a field mule while my wife runs circles around me and splashes water up my nose at the pool. Whoohoo give me some more!!
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.