EX2 Adventures
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m
Overall Rank = 118/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Had 2 scrambled eggs and choc. milk, loaded up the truck and drove an hour to the race.
Event warmup:

swam a little
Swim
  • 33m 52s
  • 1350 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Waited for most of the people to get going and started swimming. No open water panic like last year.

The run was about 800 meters, swim one lap, come out of the water and run up the hill through the grass and back down and do it again. The second lap was def. easier, I had my breathing under control.

The first thing Todd said when I got out of the water on the first lap was "mom you didn't get lapped!" So that was very encouraging.

I even passed some people on the swim, although most were doing backstroke or sidestroke. But hey I'll take it.
What would you do differently?:

Get brave enough to start with everyone else and not wait for some clear space to swim.

overall 162/198
Transition 1
  • 00m

Should have ran instead of walked - could have easily gained the 30 seconds I needed for 1st place.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 14 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Two laps around the lake. After one lap you had to dismount and go through transition. That sucked.

The first half of the lap was the hardest (although not really that hard compared to mtn biking around here) Some roots, one little climb that everyone pushed up....I rode up both times!!! I passed 40 some people in the woods. The best part is passing on the uphill when the back of their leg has a 25 or 30 written on it....got me really pumped up!

After the climb there was a long downhill with tons of rocks. Lots of people were going slow or walking down...I flew by all them on the way down. Who walks downhill?

On the second lap of the downhill my wrist was ready to give out, I had no strength left and couldn't use my front brakes and there was no way I was going to slow down or walk. Once you make it through the downhill you pop out on to the road for a bit and then ride this smooth as glass single track for 10-15 minutes....where you can fly. The bad part is you come up on people who are either standing in the middle of the trail or walking and there is no way to slow down or stop. That caused me a few almost accidents.

The other issue was when people were walking uphill or downhill....why must they take the good line? I yell that I am coming up and they don't move, so I have to go around them which is even harder. Oh well.

Didn't want to take the time to put on gloves but by the second lap my hands were so sweaty it was hard to hold on to the handle bars.

overall lap 1 98/198 lap 2 93/198
Transition 2
  • 00m

move faster....again could have gained some time here.

Run
  • 1h 03m
  • 5 miles
  • 12m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt strong starting the run. About 5-10 people that I passed on the bike ended up passing me on the run.

Ran everything except the 2 steep uphills.

On the last hill someone from my AG passed me and I decided to hang with her and not let her out of my sight. She really slowed down running on the rocks and I was able to pass her and couldn't even see her at one point.

Climbing up the side of the mountain and over all the boulders was tough, I was getting really over heated at this point. I had goosebumps almost the entire run and at some points got a little dizzy.

With about a 1/2 mile to go we drop out of the woods AND SHADE on to the road and run to the finish. Todd rode his bike beside me for the finish.

I've got such cool kids. Todd placed himself at a few different spots to cheer me on and knew where to be for the last bit of the run.

Anyhow the temp was low 90's and there was no shade. I knew she was back there and I was running as fast as I could, but she caught me with about 400 yards to go....she was a much better road runner than trail runner.

Not stop to pee in the woods....right there is another 30 seconds.

Also I would tend to stay behind people longer than I should and run at there pace instead of the faster pace I could do.

overall run 128/198

RACE overall 119/198
Post race
Warm down:

Found some shade and collapsed in the grass...I was so hot! A race volunteer asked if I was ok....guess I didn't look so good. She suggested I go sit in the lake, which is what I did.

There were a lot of racers sitting in the lake. It took about 10-15 minutes and I finally felt like I might live.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim faster and run faster. Although better than last year, now I want to get closer to the over female time.

Over female was 2:32.

Last updated: 2006-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:52 | 1350 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 14 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 2 laps around the lake....roots/rocks....dry course very fast
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:00 | 05 miles | 12m 36s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Followed the bike course for the first 2.5 miles. Then turned left and got vey technical.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-18 12:39 PM

User image

Hollidaysburg, PA
Subject: Xterra Off Road Triathlon

2006-07-18 1:50 PM
in reply to: #486110

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: Xterra Off Road Triathlon
Awsome report! You sound like the best mtn biker out there. As to who walks downhills - I do (sometimes). If it too technical, I will walk it.

I know what you mean about people standing on the trail. When I mtn bike race, the juniors always seem to be the ones who dismount right in front of me and just take up the whole trail. They don't know trail etiquette at all!

I so want to try an Xterra race.
2006-07-18 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Wow - sounds like an AWESOME race!!  And 2nd place hardware is nothing to be ashamed about - I'd kill to place that high! 

Great job!! 

2006-07-18 2:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-07-18 2:58 PM

Pro
MA

Wow!  What a race!  Good jobin the swim!  I found out recently that I have to wear gloves to ride the bike or I'd get calluses!  I'm always nervous when riding and tend to grab on the handle bar too tightly. Running uphill is hard work.  You did great. 

Congrats on the 2nd place. 

2006-07-18 6:58 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Great race and report.  It sounds like you had fun and came home with the hardware.  You can't beat that.  Way to teach the youngest how to ride.  Congratulations on the second place.

Ernie 

2006-07-19 7:35 AM

Regular
China Grove, NC (Charlotte)
Great Job M. A.  Jim said the same thing about the people pushing. good job on the climbs I heard they were pretty tough. Hope your wrist is doing well.
2006-07-19 7:58 AM

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Great race for you! Really should be proud of your place and how well you did on the bike. Impressed the heck out of me b/c of the wrist issues you've had. Nice race this year and yeah, it does give you something to aim for next year. Thirty seconds is T1 walk/pee in the woods. You really had her. Every second you're out there, the watch is ticking....

You are filling up your shelf this year with your top finishes. WOo Hoo! Take a pic of that shelf !! 

2006-07-19 8:09 AM

Master
brummie land
fantastic race - well done mtn chick!
2006-07-20 10:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

GREAT JOB! What a great race--glad you didn't run into anyone on the bike... how annoying to have ppl camped out in the middle of the path!

Anyhoo, glad you had fun!

2006-07-20 11:47 AM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesoem Race MA  Sounds like you ahd a terrific bike leg!!!  Hoep it cools down for ya!!

2006-07-20 7:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Congratulations!!  That sounds like a fun race.  Yep, it is fun passing those youngsters, eh?  LOL! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Off Road Triathlon Rss Feed