General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Top of foot pain on longer runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-30 5:28 PM

Subject: Top of foot pain on longer runs
I've done some searches on this one, but haven't found anything that describes my exact symptoms. Would really appreciate any suggestions or others' experiences with this.

I'm a newbie training for an international on August 4th. Following the balanced plan from this site with some minor modifications. Everything has been going really well until two weeks ago at the end of my long run,at about 60 minutes, I started to feel pain in my left foot. It got worse very quickly and I had to stop running. Pain stopped immediately once I started walking, and felt fine the next day and on a short run a few days later. Then last week the same thing happened on my long run, but it started at about 40 minutes. Then today it started about 10 minutes into a short run. So it seems to be getting worse.

The pain is right in the center of the top of my foot, about halfway between my ankle and toes. It's not at all sensitive to pressure, so I'm hoping it's not a stress fracture. There's no swelling. It has felt better immediately once I stop running, except today it's still sore now a few hours later. One thing I noticed today is that if I relaxed my foot it got worse, but if I tensed up my arch and toes, it hurt much less. Maybe not enough arch support? Some other forums seemed to suggest lace bite, but I loosened up my laces a lot today with no improvement. I wear Mizuno Wave Riders.

Again, I'm hoping it's not a stress fracture since there is no pinpoint sensitivity or swelling. I plan to call the doctor tomorrow but would love input from anyone who has experienced anything like this.

Thanks,
-Josh

2013-06-30 10:52 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Top of foot pain on longer runs
Hi. Do you use the top holes of your running shoes to create loops for the laces? See the link below. This will take pressure off the top of your foot. Hopefully this is the cause of your pain and it's not more serious. However, typically the pain will be closer to the ankle though if this is the cause.

http://howtorunamarathon.net/Tying_Your_Shoes.html

Edited by deadpool7 2013-06-30 10:56 PM
2013-07-01 3:43 PM
in reply to: 0

Thanks for the response. I have been lacing my shoes incorrectly, just like that link states. I'll try it. For some reason, though, I'm skeptical that that's the problem. If it was, I don't know why tensing up my arch and toes would make running less painful, since that would be pushing my foot even tighter against the top of my shoe.

I made an appointment with a sports med dr but they can't see me for a week.

Would still appreciate any other responses or thoughts on this, especially if anyone has dealt with anything very similar. Thanks.

Edited by jbedell2 2013-07-01 3:46 PM
2013-07-01 5:55 PM
in reply to: jbedell2

I agree that this may not be the cause but it can't hurt. I would definitely get it checked out in the meantime. Should bring your shoes with so the Dr can evaluate their fit.
2013-07-08 12:41 PM
in reply to: jbedell2

User image

I had similar issues when I was training for my first marathon.
The pain lingered for 2-3 weeks. It hurt even when I was walking.

It was probably bad advice, but I just ran through it without seeing doctor...
Never had the problem since.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Top of foot pain on longer runs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Foot Pain after long run

Started by LukeBoswell
Views: 1618 Posts: 2

2012-10-19 9:03 PM TriFlorida

Top of foot pain

Started by Comet
Views: 959 Posts: 3

2005-08-12 11:14 PM Dr Hammer

pain on top of foot

Started by imassallo
Views: 909 Posts: 1

2005-06-09 4:25 PM imassallo

pain on top of foot

Started by imassallo
Views: 878 Posts: 6

2005-06-10 8:34 AM MichaelJohn654

Pain on top of foot

Started by kate
Views: 1478 Posts: 6

2004-12-28 10:06 PM tech_geezer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 18, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I expected to hurt after the marathon, and I did but there was nothing that I was immediately alarmed about. Since then, the foot pain that popped up after the marathon has not really gone away.

date : September 21, 2012
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.
date : February 11, 2009
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.

date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.
date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.