General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-30 8:19 PM

New user
Subject: Looking for a group
I have been marathon and ultra training with my run club here in Frisco area for a long time, but am looking for a group or a training partner to start riding with as I ramp up for Redman Full in September. I'd prefer to ride with people that don't thumb their noses at the site of aero bars and, if possible, ride on Sundays. I still run on Saturdays with my club and don't want to give that up. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Today was the third time in as many weeks that I've ridden 50+ miles alone and it's starting to make me stir crazy!

2013-07-01 10:46 AM
in reply to: ElMatadorBorracho

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Subject: RE: Looking for a group
We got rides out of the JoePool lake area, unless this si too far for you?
2013-07-01 11:47 AM

User image

Rowlett, TX (Dallas area)
What's your average speed on your long rides?
2013-07-01 12:57 PM
in reply to: jec03

New user
I hang around 20-22... with yesterday's crappy wind my overall was low tho... 18.
2013-07-01 12:58 PM
in reply to: timf79

New user
Originally posted by timf79

We got rides out of the JoePool lake area, unless this si too far for you?

I'd love to join ya, but its just about an hour from my house.

2013-07-01 3:16 PM

User image

Rowlett, TX (Dallas area)
Well you're too fast for me, but around my husband's range. We're in Rowlett, so not too far from Frisco. I'll let him know and see if he's interested.

2013-07-01 3:20 PM

Dallas
I normally ride on Saturdays out in Plano, Richardson, Sachse, Wylie area. I am only training for the Redman half so right now my rides are around 65-80 miles. I tend to focus more on power but average about 18-20mph depending on the day.

You can check out the Tri Shop in Plano but I think they ride on Saturdays as well. I think they have a group in your speed range.
2013-07-01 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4792118

New user
80 mile rides for the half? Are you running at all?? That seems high for just the half! Then again this is my first full so I'm not sure I'm doing everything exactly right. My run mileage is around 35 to 40 and my bike is around 85 to 100. I only have 2 century rides planned before the event, one being this weekend. My sunday rides are about to creep into the 70-80 range myself.. Am I not doing enough??
2013-07-01 9:01 PM

Dallas
My main focus is on IMTX next year so my training is based around that, not the half. Since I just started training for tris earlier this year we wanted to get my base work done this year and work on speed over the off season. Plus this is my full year of bike training. I think right now I am running around 20-25 miles per week.
2013-07-01 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
There are several groups that operate in or around that area

Frisco Triathlon Club
North Texas MultiSport
Triple Threat Tough

you can also check in with RBM in Frisco if you are just looking for a ride on Sunday. The TriShop in North plano has Saturday rides as well as Cadence Cyclery in McKinney
2013-07-02 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by ElMatadorBorracho

I have been marathon and ultra training with my run club here in Frisco area for a long time, but am looking for a group or a training partner to start riding with as I ramp up for Redman Full in September. I'd prefer to ride with people that don't thumb their noses at the site of aero bars and, if possible, ride on Sundays. I still run on Saturdays with my club and don't want to give that up. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Today was the third time in as many weeks that I've ridden 50+ miles alone and it's starting to make me stir crazy!

We have a group that rides on Saturdays, but days can change. I might be doing a long ride this coming Sunday in the Frisco area. We live at Windhaven/Dallas Tollway so we ride around that area.

BUT our group does a 15-16 mph average overall. We might be too slow for you.

If you want more details you can email me: [email protected]

Thanks!

PS- I'm doing the 70.2 at Redman in September. My boyfriend is doing IMKY in August and the other people with us are training for IMAZ in November.

2013-07-02 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

80 mile rides for the half? Are you running at all?? That seems high for just the half! Then again this is my first full so I'm not sure I'm doing everything exactly right. My run mileage is around 35 to 40 and my bike is around 85 to 100. I only have 2 century rides planned before the event, one being this weekend. My sunday rides are about to creep into the 70-80 range myself.. Am I not doing enough??

I have had clients do 80 miles for HIM training, if they don't have a long history of endurance training. One of my clients her first year with me, for HIM training she did rides in the 60-80 mile range. But 2 years later, since her endurance is outstanding, I shortened her rides to the 55-60 mile range and had her focus on speed instead. She didn't need endurance, she needed speed.

Another one of my clients is about to do IMLP. He's a strong cyclist, but only in the sport for 2 years. While I wanted him to get the endurance training and he has had 3-4, 100+ mile rides, most of his rides have been in the 60-80 mile range (later in the training plan). Keep in mind though, he is a really strong athlete who is aiming for sub 11 hours at IMLP.

Basically each person is different depending on their needs. If you are someone who is new to the sport and doesn't have a lot of endurance training under you, I would encourage you to do 2-3, 100+ mile rides. You have time to get it down between now and Redman. Good luck!

2013-07-03 12:12 AM
in reply to: KSH

New user
Originally posted by KSH

I have had clients do 80 miles for HIM training, if they don't have a long history of endurance training. One of my clients her first year with me, for HIM training she did rides in the 60-80 mile range. But 2 years later, since her endurance is outstanding, I shortened her rides to the 55-60 mile range and had her focus on speed instead. She didn't need endurance, she needed speed.

Another one of my clients is about to do IMLP. He's a strong cyclist, but only in the sport for 2 years. While I wanted him to get the endurance training and he has had 3-4, 100+ mile rides, most of his rides have been in the 60-80 mile range (later in the training plan). Keep in mind though, he is a really strong athlete who is aiming for sub 11 hours at IMLP.

Basically each person is different depending on their needs. If you are someone who is new to the sport and doesn't have a lot of endurance training under you, I would encourage you to do 2-3, 100+ mile rides. You have time to get it down between now and Redman. Good luck!

Great tips Karen, I appreciate it.

I dont have a lot of endurance experience on the bike, however I have been on my feet quite a bit (50 mile ultra last March).

I am riding this sunday to the OK line and back from prosper with a friend, but I might take you up on the group ride even if it is on saturdays.

My goals for this race are to finish being that it's my first full, so I can slow down on my rides.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a group Rss Feed